Font Distortion Upon Open

G

I recently drafted a technical document containing several tables, different 1st page header/footer, custom styles, and modified page set up

The problem I have is if I open this document (file) by itself, the fonts (Courier) open distorted. By distorted, they are readable, however appear to be a system font as opposed to the correct TrueType font. Print preview of the file appears distorted in the same manner, however the document prints as it should with no distortion. The strangest thing I have discovered is if I highlight a string of text, view the font properties (clicking on the font type, size, and style), then click "OK", then view the paragraph properties, then click "OK" the text changes appearance to what it should look like. I then move the scroll bar all the way up then all the way down and all the fonts change to the correct appearance

To top things off, if I open another specific document in the same folder prior to opening this file, everything opens fine. I am willing to share the file if it helps solve the problem. I do not want to have to re-do this file if possible

I have tried everything I know. Burning to CD Individually, Sending through E-mail, Zipping the File, Renaming the file, Saving As a different name, used "Detect & Repair" for the MS Word App, etc..

Please Help

G

You could embed the fonts, but the file size would increase tenfold if you're in Word 2000. I'd be game to help you figure this out if you want to Email it to me unless someone else KNOWS the answer?

G

Frankly , no it sounds too weird

All I can think of is
a) video driver problem - unlikely given its just the one documen
b) the MS cleartpype going weird - possible if your using it on a CRT (it only works on panels) but again unlikely if only one document affecte
c) document corruption - styles can get confused easily but I've never seen this affect. Try the 'copying all but last paragraph mark to a new document trick' and see if it goes away

Luc
Reg

Ask a Question