File Property attributes not sticking

  • Start date Start date

divernik

When I uncheck the read only box under foler properties,
attributes, hit apply, then ok, then look at the
properties again, the gray check is back under read-only.
I'm logged in as administrator, and have full access
security rights. Even on a new folder, this happens. Is
there something else?

Hi Drivernik,

For an explanation of the behavior you are seeing please see the following
article:

326549 You Cannot View or Change the Read-Only or System Attribute of
Folders
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=326549

To work around this issue, use the Attrib command at a command prompt
(Cmd.exe) to view or remove the Read-only or System attributes of folders.
Type "attrib /?" (without the quotation marks) at the command prompt to
view the syntax for the Attrib command.

There are some caveats which you should review in the article.

=========

Windows XP Security Homepage:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/security/default.asp

Windows 2000 Security Homepage:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/security/default.asp

Top 10 Windows Newsgroups Security Questions:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/newsgroups/default.asp?url=/technet/newsgro
ups/nodepages/sectop10.asp

=========
Paul Hayes, MCSE
Product Support Services
Microsoft Corporation
(e-mail address removed)

--------------------
| From: "divernik" <[email protected]>
| Subject: File Property attributes not sticking
| Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 10:59:10 -0800
|
| When I uncheck the read only box under foler properties,
| attributes, hit apply, then ok, then look at the
| properties again, the gray check is back under read-only.
| I'm logged in as administrator, and have full access
| security rights. Even on a new folder, this happens. Is
| there something else?

Back
Top