File attributes

G

In the "My Documents" folder, all of the files have a read only attribute. I discovered this while trying to synchronize my computers and got a "copy failed" error or a "unable to create directory" error. I have opened the properties for each file and sure enough, they are marked "read only". I remove the read only and OK. Next time I look at properties, the files are again marked "read only." What is going on here? Thanks

R

roger

HI Winston,

In the "My Documents" folder, all of the files have a read only attribute. I discovered this while trying to synchronize my computers and got a "copy failed" error or a "unable to create directory" error. I have opened the properties for each file and sure enough, they are marked "read only". I remove the read only and OK. Next time I look at properties, the files are again marked "read only." What is going on here? Thanks

By design Windows Explorer shows all folders as read only.
However, they are not. If you want another opinion about a folder, try
using the command prompt (start > run > cmd) browse to a folder and
type:
attrib folder_name
A = archive
H = Hidden
R = read only
If the letter doesn't appear, it means the folder/file doesn't have
that feature. You'll see that folders don't show the R in the command
prompt.

Good luck

Ask a Question