Explorer won't run

  • Start date Start date

I recently switched to DSL through SBC. At first I was also able to launch
my Explorer, but now I can't. When I double click on the desktop icon of IE,
nothing happens. Any suggestions?

Thank you very much.

Hi,
Will IE open if you go to C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
(the probable location of iexplore.exe) and double-click iexplore.exe?

If that opens IE, you may just have a damaged shortcut. You can delete it
and create a new IE Icon from:
WindowsXP: Display Properties> Desktop> Customize> (check) IE.
Windows9x: Internet Options> Advanced> Show Internet Explorer on desktop.

Another program may be interfering with IE. From Control Panel> Internet
Options> Advanced> uncheck "Enable third party browser extensions." With IE6
SP2, go to Tools> Manage add-ons and disable add-ons. If either of those
steps helps, you need to find the troublesome extension, BHO or add-on and
disable it. One of these programs may help:
BHODemon 2.0: http://www.definitivesolutions.com/bhodemon.htm
ToolbarCop: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/toolbarcop.htm

This may be a malware problem. Start by downloading and running CWShredder,
Ad-aware and Spybot. Check for updates before running Ad-aware or Spybot.
See: http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
Also note the security tips and other important information on that page.

Additional information at:
The Parasite Fight http://www.aumha.org/a/quickfix.htm
More security tips at http://www.aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
Bugs, Glitches & Stuffups: http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/darnit.html
What you can do about spyware and other unwanted software:
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/spywarewhat.mspx

Repairing/reinstalling IE may help:
XP: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/IEFAQ.htm#Reinstall
9x: 194177 - Description of the Internet Explorer Repair Tool:
The portion of this article
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=318378 after "Windows XP and
Windows XP SP1: Edit the registry and install Internet Explorer 6" should
work with other versions of Windows.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]