error 06:0028:0000000B

• Thread starter Thread starter Richard in AZ
  • Start date Start date
R

Richard in AZ

I was checking out an old Windows ME PC at a charity, and every time I attempt to Open IE, I get the
Blue Screen with the statement that it has an Error Code 06:0028:0000000B. I was able to open OE
and found that was version 5.5. I then attempted to update with an MS IE 6 CD. About 2/3 rd of the
way through the installation, the same Blue Screen. Tried to continue the installation and got the
same error code.

With the error message it tells me I can press Ctrl+Alt+Del to shut down or press any key to
continue. There is no other information of the screen. Pressing any key returns the computer to
the desktop and normal operation.

Doing a Google, on this error code I found lots of example with other programs, but not with IE.
Most comments seem to suggest a video driver problem. Other than this error code when attempting to
open IE, the machine works fine. The charity does not plan to use the computer for Internet
Access, but they have a new educational program they would like to install, that claims to requires
IE 6 for installation.

The computer has never been on the Internet since I reformatted and set it up for them one year ago,
so I do not suspect virus or malware, but I will be checking it further on the 14th of April. Any
tips or suggestions would be appreciated. They use this computer for games to entertain, and
programs to train mentally challenged adults.

Without the full blue screen error (which will likely have mentioned a VXD
file - a direct pointer to the cause of the problem) then all I can advise
is the most common cause of the problem - modem drivers or video drivers.
Update/reinstall both.

There was no VXD file listed. It stated only "Windows has a problem, you may use Clt+Alt+Del to
restart the computer or press any key to return. Error code 06:0028:000000B"
Outlook Express will open, MS Word will open, a least 4 of the games and educational programs will
open. Just Internet Explorer causes the error immediately upon attempting to open.

If IE 5.5 was part of ME, would it be listed in the add/remove control?
Does anyone know how to remove it if it is not listed so that I can install version 6.
I won't be going to the charity for a week (40 mile drive) so I would like to have any tools I need
to fix the problem.
Of course the computer was a donated computer and they do not have any of the driver software or
even the OS disks and they do not have but one other computer on the Internet with a dial-up
connection.

Back