Epson ink cleaning

Nigel Andrews

I have the Epson R300 servicing manual. I can now get to the ink pads used
to absorb ink in the cleaning cycles and I want to clean them.
Is there a simple solution to flush the (now) drink ink out of the pads to
reuse them?

I have reset the printer a number of times when it called for service, due
to the ink pad 'life' expired. By now I am in danger of the ink pads being
at capacity and liable to spill the next cleaning cycle.

Nigel

measekite

Nigel said:
I have the Epson R300 servicing manual. I can now get to the ink pads used
to absorb ink in the cleaning cycles and I want to clean them.
Is there a simple solution to flush the (now) drink ink out of the pads to
reuse them?

I have reset the printer a number of times when it called for service, due
to the ink pad 'life' expired. By now I am in danger of the ink pads being
at capacity and liable to spill the next cleaning cycle.

Nigel

Todays paper advertised a Canon IP4300 for $59.95. That is the price of
the ink and the printer is free. Why would you want to screw around
with a mess like that and waste your time?

Tony

Nigel Andrews said:
I have the Epson R300 servicing manual. I can now get to the ink pads used
to absorb ink in the cleaning cycles and I want to clean them.
Is there a simple solution to flush the (now) drink ink out of the pads to
reuse them?

I have reset the printer a number of times when it called for service, due
to the ink pad 'life' expired. By now I am in danger of the ink pads being
at capacity and liable to spill the next cleaning cycle.

Nigel

Nigel
Running cold water, lots of it. Use a stainless steel tub or sink, wear vilyl
or similar gloves and be careful of splashing the inky water onto anything
inportant. You will be surprised at how long it takes to get the ink out, there
is heaps of it. Gently squeezing the pads as they are flushed helps enormously
(hence the gloves, or accept stained hands for a few days). After they are
clean (or near as), squeeze them dry and let them dry thoroughly outside or in
an airing cupboard. Once thouroughly dry they can be reused, you may have to
sort of flatten them out as they may become slightly distorted this is best
done before they are dry.
Good luck.
Tony
MS MVP Printing/Imaging

Nigel Andrews

Tony,
Thanks for that good advice. I had assumed, obviously wrongly, that the ink
once dry was not water soluble.
I had heard people speak of using ammonia (Windex) to dissolve blocked ink
jets.

Thanks again

Nigel

measekite

Take them out and put them in the washing machine and then in the dryer.  It is faster.

Nigel Andrews wrote:

Tony, Thanks for that good advice. I had assumed, obviously wrongly, that the ink once dry was not water soluble. I had heard people speak of using ammonia (Windex) to dissolve blocked ink jets. Thanks again Nigel "Tony" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...

"Nigel Andrews" <[email protected]> wrote:

[...]

Arthur Entlich

Certainly not with the R300, which is a dye and water soluble printer
ink. The Durabrite inks once fully dry at relatively waterproof, as are
the Ultrachrome.

Art

Tony

Nigel
You are more than welcome, the trick is to be careful about spillage. Have some
paper towels handy. Having said that you will be fine if you are prepared.
I just noticed that you got two other replies; one from Art Entlich who, as
always, offered sound information and another from someone who never does (hint
- his handle starts with M and ends with E) where he suggested using a washing
machine; something I know you will not countenance. He is a misanthrope and I
am sorry you have come across him
Good luck and please let us know how you get on.
Tony

Arthur Entlich

Rerouting your waste ink tube is a good idea, as it avoids the whole
waste ink pad issue, contains the waste ink so it can be discarded in a
reasonable way, and it gives you some idea how much ink is wasted each
cleaning which is a sobering experience and probably explains why Epson
isn't in any rush to change the waste ink storage system. ;-)

Art