Enable 'ToolTips' in IE6

  • Start date Start date

WinXP Home, IE6 sp2.

Basically, IE6 doesnt show tooltips when hovering over links that are
specified to show tooltip text.

Could someone please tell me what registry key enables/disables tooltips in
IE6, or any other fixes?
Thanks.

hi, neither of those solutions worked :(
any other suggestons?

Don Varnau said:
Hi,
Try: Internet Options> Advanced> Browsing> check "Show friendly URLs"

Plan B: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm Line 11 left side, try
the VBS file to Enable/Disable Balloom Tips.

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

ReplacedDoor said:
WinXP Home, IE6 sp2.

Basically, IE6 doesnt show tooltips when hovering over links that are
specified to show tooltip text.

Could someone please tell me what registry key enables/disables tooltips in
IE6, or any other fixes?
Thanks.

Hi,
Is Javascript working? Test it at
http://www.dcn.davis.ca.us/go/EXPLORIT/java/IntroJavaScript.html

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Don Varnau said:
Hi,
Try: Internet Options> Advanced> Browsing> check "Show friendly URLs"

Plan B: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm Line 11 left side, try
the VBS file to Enable/Disable Balloon Tips.
"ReplacedDoor" <ReplacedDoor[at]discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
WinXP Home, IE6 sp2.

Basically, IE6 doesnt show tooltips when hovering over links that are
specified to show tooltip text.

Could someone please tell me what registry key enables/disables tooltips
in IE6, or any other fixes?
Thanks.

yes, javascript is working.

Don Varnau said:
Hi,
Try: Internet Options> Advanced> Browsing> check "Show friendly URLs"

Plan B: http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm Line 11 left side, try
the VBS file to Enable/Disable Balloon Tips.
"ReplacedDoor" <ReplacedDoor[at]discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
WinXP Home, IE6 sp2.

Basically, IE6 doesnt show tooltips when hovering over links that are
specified to show tooltip text.

Could someone please tell me what registry key enables/disables tooltips
in IE6, or any other fixes?
Thanks.

Hi,
Can you post a URL or two where these should pop-up? Maybe seeing the page
would help.

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

ReplacedDoor said:
yes, javascript is working.
:

"ReplacedDoor" wrote in message
WinXP Home, IE6 sp2.

Basically, IE6 doesnt show tooltips when hovering over links that are
specified to show tooltip text.

Could someone please tell me what registry key enables/disables
tooltips in IE6, or any other fixes?
Thanks.

hi,
http://www.planet-f1.com/
under 'headlines' on the right you can hover the mouse over the links and a
tooltip appears with a summary of the story.
(I had sent an email to the webmaster of PlanetF1 and they say its a
browser problem.)

Don Varnau said:
Hi,
Can you post a URL or two where these should pop-up? Maybe seeing the page
would help.

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

ReplacedDoor said:
yes, javascript is working.
Don Varnau said:
[...]

It looks like a Javascript problem. Some possibilities:

Check any third-party security programs to see if one of them is blocking
scripts, scripting, active content. Try disabling add-ons (IE> Tools> Manage
add-ons) to see if one of them is blocking Javascript. Try disabling
third-party security programs to see if one of them is the culprit.
* Important: Turn on the Windows Firewall, from Control Panel or Security
Center, before disabling a third-party firewall.

Go to Internet Options> Security> Internet Zone, set it to Default.

Place the site in Trusted Sites. Internet Options> Security> Trusted Sites>
Uncheck "Require server verification" and enter the site as (for example)
*.planet-f1.com

Clear the IE cache. IE> Tools> Internet Options> General> Delete
files (and delete offline content when that dialog pops up) It's often
recommended that the TIF folder be kept at about 50 MB (Settings.)

Try these two commands from Start> Run> cmd [enter]
regsvr32 vbscript.dll [enter]
regsvr32 jscript.dll [enter]

Reinstall the Windows Scripting engine. Go to
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/downloads/list/webdev.asp
for the appropriate download.

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Don Varnau said:
[...]

Thank you for the suggestions.
I added the website to 'trusted zone', cleared the cache, and set the
internet zone to default. The tooltips reappeared, but then disappeared after
system restart, then came back again!
So for now it looks like the problem has been fixed and ill try the other
suggestions if these tooltips disappear permanently again.
Thanks

Don Varnau said:
[...]

You're welcome. Thanks for reporting back.

Don

"ReplacedDoor" <ReplacedDoor[ta]discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
[...]

Back
Top