Dynamically expanding subform

  • Start date Start date

Jonathan Blitz

I have two tables with a one to many relationship.

I want to display it with the row of the parent row followed by all the
child rows and so on for each parent.
I know I can do this with a subform but the thing is I don't want the child
section to be pageable. I want it to grow or shrink so as to include all the
rows needed for the children of that parent. In that way the user will get
what looks like one continuous form.

Is there any way to do this?

--
Jonathan Blitz
AnyKey Limited

"When things seem bad
Don't worry and shout
Just count up the times
Things have worked themselves out."

You can build that in a query. Build the query with all
the fields you want from both tables. This solution wont
answer the requirement of "I don't want the child section
to be pageable." if there are many child records, enough
that wont fit on the screen.

Problem is that if I build it in the query (as a join) then how do I present
the parent only once?

--
Jonathan Blitz
AnyKey Limited
Israel

"When things seem bad
Don't worry and shout
Just count up the times
Things have worked themselves out."

Hi Jonathan,

I think that is not possible. If the number of the items/rows in the
subform is big enough, we have to page down it to view the "hidden" part;
if there is no paging function, "hidden" data won't be shown; unlike
report, subform/form can't use the CanShrink/CanGrow property, we can only
use canshrink/cangrow property for printing or print preview, instead of
using them for appearance of subform/form.

Sincerely,

Alick Ye, MCSD
Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "Jonathan Blitz" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Dynamically expanding subform
|
| I have two tables with a one to many relationship.
|
| I want to display it with the row of the parent row followed by all the
| child rows and so on for each parent.
| I know I can do this with a subform but the thing is I don't want the
child
| section to be pageable. I want it to grow or shrink so as to include all
the
| rows needed for the children of that parent. In that way the user will get
| what looks like one continuous form.
|
| Is there any way to do this?
|
| --
| Jonathan Blitz