DVD-RW drive problems - Firmware

  • Start date Start date

Purinsesu Kyande^seppun

Hi, I really need help on this one.

My computer, Windows XP, works fine, normally. But recently I had to re-boot
the whole thing due to a virus. However, i used to have a CD-ROM game
installed on it, and that worked perfectly before the virus. [the sims2 up to
the third expansion pack.]

After we re-installed the whole thing, it still worked fine until i had to
re-install the Sims 2. The original game installed perfectly and so did the
next two expansions [ up to the sims 2 nightlife.]

1. this is where my problem started....;
I put the CD-ROM in the drive, and after about a minute I got an error
saying that there was a problem Copying an image from the CD-ROM in drive
[X:] to drive C:.

I click ok, then confirmation box comes up to abort the installation. i
click no, the the first install wizard window comes up except there's no
proper image, and no text in the window, except the cancel buttun. Finally,
after cancel you can leave the process.

At first, i thought well, it's propably a dirty disc [but it's one of the
cleanest and less scratched]. And i tried it in my old Windows 98 second
edition. And it came up perfectly.

So i found out it's most likely the firmware. But i don't know where or
which one to download. so may someone help me?

it shows up as;

Microsoft, 1/7/2001, 5.1.2535.0, signed by Microsoft Windows Componant
Publisher,
_NEC DVD+RW ND-1100A

and the Match Device ID in the "Details" says Gencom.

May someone please help me download the right software?

If a firmware update is even available, you would acquire it at the drive
mfg's website. If the game worked before the reinstall, it is unlikely that
it is a firmware issue, as the firmware of the drive didn't change. You
would be better off seeking support via Electronic Arts website.

--

----

"Purinsesu Kyande^seppun" <Purinsesu
Kyande^[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

Purinsesu said:
[...]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SecuROM

"The Sims controversy

The Sims 2 and some of its add-ons have previously been using SafeDisc
for copy protection until April 2007..."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SafeDisk

It could be a problem with whatever copy protection method is being used
by EA, for that CD.

Paul

Purinsesu said:
[...]

http://www.techspot.com/drivers/index/file/information/3296

Hiya, again, thank you for all your support.
But i still don't understand, if it's a problem with the disk, than how come
it auto-plays on my other computer perfectly. And if it's the type of CD
protection used, how come the other disks worked fine, like the other
Expansions?
I really do appreciate your help.

Paul said:
Purinsesu said:
[...]

i also get a;

A hardware I/O error was reported while accessing:E:/autorun/:autorun.BMP

thanks for everyones support!
MAP said:
Purinsesu said:
[...]

Back