Downgrading .Net 2 application to .Net 1.1

Hello all,

I have a C# application written using Visual C# 2005 Express. I believe it
uses some of the .Net 2 controls and so on.

I want to run this application on Linux using mono 1.2 (supports .Net 1.1).
What is the best approach to downgrade this application to use .Net 1.1 stuff?

Thanks
/kmk

anonymous said:
I have a C# application written using Visual C# 2005 Express. I believe it
uses some of the .Net 2 controls and so on.

I want to run this application on Linux using mono 1.2 (supports .Net 1.1).
What is the best approach to downgrade this application to use .Net 1.1 stuff?

Compile it with 1.1 and fix the problems one by one.

BTW, mono is not 100% .NET 1.1 compliant as far as I know.

I think it would be best to get a Linux box, install the
correct version of mono on it and use that.

Arne

Arne Vajhøj said:
Compile it with 1.1 and fix the problems one by one.
this isn't the actual problem. references are pointing in VC# 2005 to .NET
2.0 libraries, but the references need to be changed somehow. Of course, if
the OP uses 2.0 components, he is lost for now.

doc

Emil

Better rewrite your application in Java, you can be sure it will be 100%
portable then. Unfortunately Microsoft hasn't kept the promise to write his
..NET Virtual Machine on various operating systems, only on Windows. Waiting
for Mono 2.0 (which will allow to run .NET1.1 and 2.0 applications) is waste
of time.

Emil said:
Better rewrite your application in Java, you can be sure it will be 100%
portable then. Unfortunately Microsoft hasn't kept the promise to write his
..NET Virtual Machine on various operating systems, only on Windows. Waiting
for Mono 2.0 (which will allow to run .NET1.1 and 2.0 applications) is waste
of time.

"Better rewrite everything in Python,Eifel,Haskel,Wasabi." ..... NOT.

Actually Java is a dead end IMHO. Mono 1.2 implements the most things from
..NET 2.0 and Java is just not "run it everywhere". All heavily depends on the
classes you can use and .NET is just simply good. C#/.NET is much more
portable >for me< as Java will ever be when it comes to
Server/Desktop/Mobile/Embedded.

And it was not an helpful answer to the OP question.

doc

Emil

"Actually Java is a dead end IMHO. "
No, it isn't. Look at the latest Java 1.6 API specification - it solves all
issues reported in earlier versions.

Mono 1.2 implements the most things from .NET 2.0 "

Yes, except Windows Forms 2.0. Build for instance application with single
Form and Menu Bar (or rather Menu Strip) and try to run it under Mono.

Don't think I hate C# - I like it very much, even write diploma work (don't
know how is it called in english) about C# and .NET, however I think that
..NET is perfect for writing Windows applications (C++ Builder alternative)
but for writing portable applications Java is still the best solution (maybe
it will change in the future).

Larry Smith

microsoft.public.dotnet.framework,microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp
Sent: Friday, November 10, 2006 7:49 PM
Subject: Downgrading .Net 2 application to .Net 1.1

Hello all,

I have a C# application written using Visual C# 2005 Express. I believe it
uses some of the .Net 2 controls and so on.

I want to run this application on Linux using mono 1.2 (supports .Net
1.1).
What is the best approach to downgrade this application to use .Net 1.1
stuff?

This might be helpful (author is the program manager of the .NET CLR team).
His email address is also at the bottom (he answered my own question for
instance).

http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/06/03/CLRInsideOut/

this isn't the actual problem. references are pointing in VC# 2005 to .NET
2.0 libraries, but the references need to be changed somehow. Of course, if
the OP uses 2.0 components, he is lost for now.

I sure think it is.

Just because you have the other problem does not indicate
that the original poster has it.

Arne

Actually Java is a dead end IMHO. Mono 1.2 implements the most things from
.NET 2.0 and Java is just not "run it everywhere". All heavily depends on the
classes you can use and .NET is just simply good. C#/.NET is much more
portable >for me< as Java will ever be when it comes to
Server/Desktop/Mobile/Embedded.

Java 1.6 will hit the streets in a months or two. Java 1.7 is on
its way.

Java i still very widely used. http://www.itjobswatch.co.uk/default.aspx
claims 33000 Java jobs and 23000 C# jobs.

There are very little reason to not expect both Java and C# to
be alive and kicking in 10 years.

Java is rather "run it everywhere". 76000 unit test cases
and an established penalty of 20 M$ for calling something
Java that does not pass has an effect.

Arne