Dodgy Dhcp????

Reaction score
I have slight problem at the moment, I am working of a old pc, because the latest whichI built and which has been running smovely for 2 years with no problems has decide to randomly crash on me.
It started 4 days ago, which I thought was a one of, but then it happend again, in the space of like 45mins at first I thought it was a virus but I was using AVG and scanned all my drives and also used spybot search and destroy for spyware and still nothing came up, checked the registry with registry mechanic and everything was ok but the problem still persist.

I am running windows 2000 SP4 and in the beginning I thought that it must be something to do with the software I was using so I started to delete everything which I had recently installed which basically came down to this list.

art of war: direct action (game)
Emule (P2P)
AVG (virus protection software)
Registry Mechanic

the problem still persist, I also checked the component services>event viewer>system I had this warning

event ID 1007, Your computer has automatically configured the IP address for the Network Card with network address 001060xxxxx. The IP address being used is 169.254.xxx.xxx

but the thing is I have set up all my PC with static IP address which are conected with a WAG54G router, I dont use the DHCP what so ever!!!

Another warning which comes up in the event viewer>application is:

WMI ADAP was unable to process the RemoteAccess performance library due to a time violation in the open function. event ID 61

At this time I havent been downloading anything or using Mozilla on the randomly crashing PC for 50mins and it hasn't crashed.
I have also played quake 4 for over an hour and had no problems it mainly happens when I am doing something over the internet ie using P2P checking email or just browsing. I also have automatic updates on for windows 2000.

specifications: Intel pentium 4 3.2 GHz
1GB ram
lots of hard disk space about a 1TB in all
Nividia Geforce 6800 GT
Audigy sound card platinum
Marvell yukon 88e8001/8003/8010pci gigabit ethernet (intergrated into board)
Realtek rtl8139/810x family pci fast ethernet NIC
Pioneer DVD drive
Sony DVD drive
OHCI Complaint IEEE 1394 Host Controller

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ask a Question