Displaying only 7 records at a time.

  • Start date Start date

D Collins

Hello,

I have a database that needs to keep track of hours per
day and total per week. What I am looking to do is have
the form display just one week at a time with a button
that would navigate to the next and previous weeks
(obviously 7 days at a time). I would like the form to
look like this:
Reg. Hours OT Hours Vac Pay
Monday 2/23/04
Tuesday 2/24/04
etc.

What would be the best approach to display just one
week's worth of data at a time? A filter based on week
ending date?

Hope this makes sense.
Thanks
D.

Hi,

Would a GroupBy Query give you the results you need and base your Form on
that query work?

Example:
Field: FDate: Format([OrderDate],"ww")
Total: Group By
Sort: Ascending
Show: Yes

I hope this helps! If you have additional questions on this topic, please
respond back to this posting.

Regards,

Eric Butts
Microsoft Access Support

"Microsoft Security Announcement: Have you installed the patch for
Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-026? If not Microsoft strongly advises
you to review the information at the following link regarding Microsoft
Security Bulletin MS03-026
<http://www.microsoft.com/security/security_bulletins/ms03-026.asp> and/or
to visit Windows Update at <http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/> to install
the patch. Running the SCAN program from the Windows Update site will help
to insure you are current with all security patches, not just MS03-026."

| From: "D Collins" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "D Collins" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Displaying only 7 records at a time.
| Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 15:42:45 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.access.forms
|
| Hello,
|
| I have a database that needs to keep track of hours per
| day and total per week. What I am looking to do is have
| the form display just one week at a time with a button
| that would navigate to the next and previous weeks
| (obviously 7 days at a time). I would like the form to
| look like this:
| Reg. Hours OT Hours Vac Pay
| Monday 2/23/04
| Tuesday 2/24/04
| etc.
|
| What would be the best approach to display just one
| week's worth of data at a time? A filter based on week
| ending date?
|
| Hope this makes sense.
| Thanks
| D.

I don't believe it would work, as I need to use those 7
records to enter/edit data. A group by would give a
summation.

Would a GroupBy Query give you the results you need and base your Form on
that query work?

Example:
Field: FDate: Format([OrderDate],"ww")
Total: Group By
Sort: Ascending
Show: Yes

I hope this helps! If you have additional questions on this topic, please
respond back to this posting.

Regards,

Eric Butts
Microsoft Access Support

"Microsoft Security Announcement: Have you installed the patch for
Microsoft Security Bulletin MS03-026? If not Microsoft strongly advises
you to review the information at the following link regarding Microsoft
Security Bulletin MS03-026
<http://www.microsoft.com/security/security_bulletins/ms0 3-026.asp> and/or
to visit Windows Update at

Here's some sample code that may work (however you'll have to included
whatever error trapping needed). I'll give my best in explaining it:

Notes:
- My table is named "Table1". The date field in my table is named
"Mydate"
- Will need to make a library reference to "Microsoft DAO 3.6 Object
Library"

1- Create a command button on Form named "Command12" that will serve as
your Forward navigation button (if this works you would create another
command button that serves as the Backward navigation button)

2- Copy and paste the following code behind the Form

Option Compare Database
' rst is a Recordset object that will store
' the week #s from your table
Public rst As DAO.Recordset

Private Sub Command12_Click()
On Error GoTo TestEOF

TestEOF:
IF rst.EOF THEN
Exit Sub
END IF

' you could probably put some more sophisticated
' above error trapping than what I included above

' as a user clicks the Forward command button
' the recordset would move Forward
' here is where you would put your Error trapping
' to test for rst.EOF (i.e., end of recordset)
rst.MoveNext

' set the Filter of the Form to only show the records
' with the week that the Recordset is object is on
Me.Filter = "Format([MyDate],'ww') = " & rst(0).Value

End Sub

' as the Form is opened the Recordset object rst
' is set to a GroupBy result pulling the weeks in
' your table sorted Ascending

Set rst = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset("SELECT Format([MyDate],'ww') FROM
Table1 GROUP BY Format([MyDate],'ww') ORDER BY Format([MyDate],'ww');")

' The Form is then Filtered on the first week found
' in the Recordset

Me.Filter = "Format([MyDate],'ww') = " & rst(0).Value
Me.FilterOn = True

End Sub

I hope this helps.

Eric

| From: "D Collins" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "D Collins" <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: Displaying only 7 records at a time.
| Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 03:25:42 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.access.forms
|
| I don't believe it would work, as I need to use those 7
| records to enter/edit data. A group by would give a
| summation.

| >|
| >| Hello,
| >|
| >| I have a database that needs to keep track of hours
| per
| >| day and total per week. What I am looking to do is
| have
| >| the form display just one week at a time with a button
| >| that would navigate to the next and previous weeks
| >| (obviously 7 days at a time). I would like the form
| >| look like this:
| >| Reg. Hours OT Hours Vac Pay
| >| Monday 2/23/04
| >| Tuesday 2/24/04
| >| etc.
| >|
| >| What would be the best approach to display just one
| >| week's worth of data at a time? A filter based on
| week
| >| ending date?
| >|
| >| Hope this makes sense.
| >| Thanks
| >| D.
| >|

| >.

Thanks so much for the code. It works, except, I'm
wondering if I did something wrong--it doesn't display
the weeks in order. Is there a way to force that?

Also, I have to click once, then once again to make the
code activate. I have the code attached to the on-click
event, and not double-click, so that's not the problem--
just wondering if you might know what's up.

Thanks.
Here's some sample code that may work (however you'll have to included
whatever error trapping needed). I'll give my best in explaining it:

Notes:
- My table is named "Table1". The date field in my table is named
"Mydate"
- Will need to make a library reference to "Microsoft DAO 3.6 Object
Library"

1- Create a command button on Form named "Command12" that will serve as
your Forward navigation button (if this works you would create another
command button that serves as the Backward navigation button)

2- Copy and paste the following code behind the Form

Option Compare Database
' rst is a Recordset object that will store
' the week #s from your table
Public rst As DAO.Recordset

Private Sub Command12_Click()
On Error GoTo TestEOF

TestEOF:
IF rst.EOF THEN
Exit Sub
END IF

' you could probably put some more sophisticated
' above error trapping than what I included above

' as a user clicks the Forward command button
' the recordset would move Forward
' here is where you would put your Error trapping
' to test for rst.EOF (i.e., end of recordset)
rst.MoveNext

' set the Filter of the Form to only show the records
' with the week that the Recordset is object is on
Me.Filter = "Format([MyDate],'ww') = " & rst(0).Value

End Sub

' as the Form is opened the Recordset object rst
' is set to a GroupBy result pulling the weeks in
' your table sorted Ascending

Set rst = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset("SELECT Format ([MyDate],'ww') FROM
Table1 GROUP BY Format([MyDate],'ww') ORDER BY Format ([MyDate],'ww');")

' The Form is then Filtered on the first week found
' in the Recordset

Me.Filter = "Format([MyDate],'ww') = " & rst(0).Value
Me.FilterOn = True

End Sub

I hope this helps.

Eric
| Subject: RE: Displaying only 7 records at a time.
| Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 03:25:42 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.access.forms
|
| I don't believe it would work, as I need to use those 7
| records to enter/edit data. A group by would give a
| summation.

To have the week days in your Form in sort order just add to the Open Event
after "Me.FilterOn = True" the following:

Me.OrderBy = "[MyDate]"
Me.OrderByOn = True

And add in the OnClick event after the "Me.Filter....." the following:

Me.OrderBy = "[MyDate]"

As for you having to click 2x to have the code run. Let me present the
code again in a compact manner (IT WON'T RUN LIKE THIS) it may help spot
where you may have misplaced pieces of the code:

Option Compare Database
Public rst As DAO.Recordset
Form_Open(Cancel As Integer)
Set rst = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset
Me.Filter = "Format([MyDate],'ww') = "
& rst(0).Value
Me.FilterOn = True
Me.OrderBy = "[MyDate]"
Me.OrderByOn = True
End Sub
Command12_Click()
' the error trapping piece
rst.MoveNext
Me.Filter = "Format([MyDate],'ww') = "
& rst(0).Value
Me.OrderBy = "[MyDate]"
End Sub

If the above does not help do the following:
- Open the Form in design view
- Select the menu option View > Code
- Select the menu option Edit > Select All
- Copy the selection and send it to me in this post.
I'll take a quick scan of it.

Eric

| From: "D Collins" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "D Collins" <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: Displaying only 7 records at a time.
| Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 14:12:24 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.access.forms
|
| Thanks so much for the code. It works, except, I'm
| wondering if I did something wrong--it doesn't display
| the weeks in order. Is there a way to force that?
|
| Also, I have to click once, then once again to make the
| code activate. I have the code attached to the on-click
| event, and not double-click, so that's not the problem--
| just wondering if you might know what's up.
|
| Thanks.

| >|
| >|

| >|
| ><http://www.microsoft.com/security/security_bulletins/ms0
| >| 3-026.asp> and/or
| >| <http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/> to install
| >| Update site will help
| not
| >| just MS03-026."

| <[email protected]>
| >| <[email protected]>
| >| >|
| >| >|
| >| per
| >| have
| button
| form
| Pay
| >| >|
| >| week
| >| >|
| >| >|

| >|

| >.

Hello again,

I want to thank you so much for helping me. I am pasting
the code, however, as you requested. It seems to be
working funny--when I press the Next week button they
seem to go in order, but it shows one of the January
weeks last and one of them first, but the rest are in
order by week.

I'm wondering...does it have anything to do with the fact
that I have a main form (with the employee data) and
these hours are in the subform?

here's the code:

Option Compare Database
Option Explicit

Public rst As DAO.Recordset

Private Sub cmdNextWeek_Click()
On Error GoTo ErrorTrap

rst.MoveNext

Me.Filter = "Format([dtmDailyDate],'ww') = " & rst
(0).Value
Me.OrderBy = "[dtmDailyDate]"
Me.OrderByOn = True

Exit Sub
ErrorTrap:
If rst.EOF Then
Exit Sub
End If
End Sub

Private Sub cmdPreviousWeeksHours_Click()
On Error GoTo ErrorTrap

rst.MovePrevious

Me.Filter = "Format([dtmDailyDate],'ww') = " & rst
(0).Value
Me.OrderBy = "[dtmDailyDate]"
Me.OrderByOn = True

Exit Sub
ErrorTrap:
If rst.EOF Then
Exit Sub
End If
End Sub

Set rst = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset("Select Format
([dtmDailyDate],'ww') FROM tblHours Group By Format
([dtmDailyDate],'ww') ORDER BY Format
([dtmDailyDate],'ww');")
Me.Filter = "Format([dtmDailyDate],'ww') = " & rst
(0).Value
Me.FilterOn = True
Me.OrderBy = "[dtmDailyDate]"
Me.OrderByOn = True
End Sub

Thanks,
D.
To have the week days in your Form in sort order just add to the Open Event
after "Me.FilterOn = True" the following:

Me.OrderBy = "[MyDate]"
Me.OrderByOn = True

And add in the OnClick event after the "Me.Filter....." the following:

Me.OrderBy = "[MyDate]"

As for you having to click 2x to have the code run. Let me present the
code again in a compact manner (IT WON'T RUN LIKE THIS) it may help spot
where you may have misplaced pieces of the code:

Option Compare Database
Public rst As DAO.Recordset
Form_Open(Cancel As Integer)
Set rst = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset
Me.Filter = "Format ([MyDate],'ww') = "
& rst(0).Value
Me.FilterOn = True
Me.OrderBy = "[MyDate]"
Me.OrderByOn = True
End Sub
Command12_Click()
' the error trapping piece
rst.MoveNext
Me.Filter = "Format ([MyDate],'ww') = "
& rst(0).Value
Me.OrderBy = "[MyDate]"
End Sub

If the above does not help do the following:
- Open the Form in design view
- Select the menu option View > Code
- Select the menu option Edit > Select All
- Copy the selection and send it to me in this post.
I'll take a quick scan of it.

Eric
| Subject: RE: Displaying only 7 records at a time.
| Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2004 14:12:24 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.access.forms
|
| Thanks so much for the code. It works, except, I'm
| wondering if I did something wrong--it doesn't display
| the weeks in order. Is there a way to force that?
|
| Also, I have to click once, then once again to make the
| code activate. I have the code attached to the on- click
| event, and not double-click, so that's not the problem- -
| just wondering if you might know what's up.
|
| Thanks.

| >|
| >|

| >|

<http://www.microsoft.com/security/security_bulletins/ms0
| >| 3-026.asp> and/or
| >| <http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/> to install
| >| Update site will help
| not
| >| just MS03-026."

| <[email protected]>
| >| <[email protected]>
| >| >|
| >| >|
| >| per
| >| have
| button
| form
| Pay
| >| >|
| >| week
| >| >|
| >| >|

| >|

.

If the hours are in the subForm then your Filters and OrderBy should be:

Me.[name of subForm control].Form.Filter = "Format([dtmDailyDate],'ww') = "
& rst
(0).Value
Me.[name of subForm control].Form.OrderBy = "[dtmDailyDate]"
Me.[name of subForm control].Form.OrderByOn = True
----------
Me.[name of subForm control].Form.Filter = "Format([dtmDailyDate],'ww') = "
& rst
(0).Value
Me.[name of subForm control].Form.FilterOn = True
Me.[name of subForm control].Form.OrderBy = "[dtmDailyDate]"
Me.[name of subForm control].Form.OrderByOn = True

I hope this works.

| From: "D Collins" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "D Collins" <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: Displaying only 7 records at a time.
| Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 14:31:31 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.access.forms
|
| Hello again,
|
| I want to thank you so much for helping me. I am pasting
| the code, however, as you requested. It seems to be
| working funny--when I press the Next week button they
| seem to go in order, but it shows one of the January
| weeks last and one of them first, but the rest are in
| order by week.
|
| I'm wondering...does it have anything to do with the fact
| that I have a main form (with the employee data) and
| these hours are in the subform?
|
| here's the code:
|
| Option Compare Database
| Option Explicit
|
| Public rst As DAO.Recordset
|
| Private Sub cmdNextWeek_Click()
| On Error GoTo ErrorTrap
|
| rst.MoveNext
|
| Me.Filter = "Format([dtmDailyDate],'ww') = " & rst
| (0).Value
| Me.OrderBy = "[dtmDailyDate]"
| Me.OrderByOn = True
|
| Exit Sub
| ErrorTrap:
| If rst.EOF Then
| Exit Sub
| End If
| End Sub
|

| Private Sub cmdPreviousWeeksHours_Click()
| On Error GoTo ErrorTrap
|
| rst.MovePrevious
|
| Me.Filter = "Format([dtmDailyDate],'ww') = " & rst
| (0).Value
| Me.OrderBy = "[dtmDailyDate]"
| Me.OrderByOn = True
|
| Exit Sub
| ErrorTrap:
| If rst.EOF Then
| Exit Sub
| End If
| End Sub
|

| Private Sub Form_Open(Cancel As Integer)
| Set rst = CurrentDb.OpenRecordset("Select Format
| ([dtmDailyDate],'ww') FROM tblHours Group By Format
| ([dtmDailyDate],'ww') ORDER BY Format
| ([dtmDailyDate],'ww');")
| Me.Filter = "Format([dtmDailyDate],'ww') = " & rst
| (0).Value
| Me.FilterOn = True
| Me.OrderBy = "[dtmDailyDate]"
| Me.OrderByOn = True