Displaying animated Gif's in windows browser

  • Start date Start date

For many months now I haven’t been able to view Gif pages on my browser (6.0)
specifically on http://iwin.nws.noaa.gov/iwin/graphicsversion/bigmain.html. I
have contacted this sites support and I am informed that the link is working
fine. When I try to open the animated gif page, I just get a white screen
with a Red X in a box in the upper left corner of the page. This happens on
both of my systems, and the other system is New, so I am sure it isn’t any
thing I have done to the settings. Can any one help me with this dilemma? I
have been trying to find a fix for over 6 months now and I am no closer to
finding it than when I first started.

Hi,
Zone Alarm (and possibly other firewalls) can block animation. Look around
in your firewall settings for block animation, scripting, active content,
etc.

*** Important... Turn on the Windows Firewall (from Control Panel or
Security Center) before disabling a third-party firewall.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Midwestim said:
For many months now I haven’t been able to view Gif pages on my browser (6.0)
specifically on http://iwin.nws.noaa.gov/iwin/graphicsversion/bigmain.html. I
have contacted this sites support and I am informed that the link is working
fine. When I try to open the animated gif page, I just get a white screen
with a Red X in a box in the upper left corner of the page. This happens on
both of my systems, and the other system is New, so I am sure it isn’t any
thing I have done to the settings. Can any one help me with this dilemma? I
have been trying to find a fix for over 6 months now and I am no closer to
finding it than when I first started.

Adding to Don Suggestions, go to the IE Properties and on Advanced Tab
scroll down to the Header Option;
Multimedia:
[ ] Play Animation in web pages be sure this Square Box is
selected
Hope this helps
Regards
nass

Thanks for your responce, I checked these settings again, and the box is
already checked.
--
Thanks for any help on this issue... Midwestim

nass said:
Midwestim said:
[...]

Thanks for your reply, I am running norton here ith windows firewall turned
off. I looked into nortons settings and didn't see anything on animations,
scripting. I will look again though and play around a bit. The web page I am
having the problem with as stated in my post is the only page with this
problem that I have found. This is why I first thought that the problem was
with the link.(and still may be) except that the site told me that they
checked the link and found it to be working fine. So... I started looking
into my system. I would think if the problem was on my end, then all sites I
opened would be affected. I don't know... I am lost.
--

Midwestim said:
For many months now I haven’t been able to view Gif pages on my browser (6.0)
specifically on
http://iwin.nws.noaa.gov/iwin/graphicsversion/bigmain.html. I
have contacted this sites support and I am informed that the link is working
fine. When I try to open the animated gif page, I just get a white screen
with a Red X in a box in the upper left corner of the page. This happens on
both of my systems, and the other system is New, so I am sure it isn’t any
thing I have done to the settings. Can any one help me with this dilemma? I
have been trying to find a fix for over 6 months now and I am no closer to
finding it than when I first started.

Thanks for any help on this issue... Midwestim

Thanks Don for taking the time to check into this and your help. Now I have
someting to go on. I am going to forward these threads to the sites web
tech's. I don't think they believe me that there is a problem.
--
Thanks for any help on this issue... Midwestim

Don Varnau said:
Hi,
Well, I just tried
http://iwin.nws.noaa.gov/iwin/graphicsversion/bigmain.html with IE6 SP1, IE6
XP SP2, and IE7 Beta and the "Click here for an 6 hour animation loop of the
image below" link doesn't work on any of them.

The "High Speed Users try out the new Animated IWIN" link also led to
missing images.

I don't think that the problem is on your end.

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"Midwestim" <toddtr[at]hughes.net> wrote in message
For many months now I haven’t been able to view Gif pages on my browser
(6.0)
specifically on
http://iwin.nws.noaa.gov/iwin/graphicsversion/bigmain.html. I
have contacted this sites support and I am informed that the link is
working
fine. When I try to open the animated gif page, I just get a white screen
with a Red X in a box in the upper left corner of the page. This happens
on
both of my systems, and the other system is New, so I am sure it isn’t
any
thing I have done to the settings. Can any one help me with this dilemma?
have been trying to find a fix for over 6 months now and I am no closer to
finding it than when I first started.

FWIW, I view lots of animated sites with no problems, but at this location I
have exactly the same problems you're reporting with the blank screen and
red x. So, like others have said, I believe it's a problem with the website.

nass said:
Midwestim said:
[...]

Hi Larry,

Thanks for your reply to this. I know that NOAA thinks I am all wet with
this problem, now maybe they will do something about correcting the problem.
I forwared all the message threads to them. Now that I know the problem isn't
on my end, I can retire from this. Thank You Everyone!
--

nass said:
:

[...]

It may be a problem with the site, but Firefox is able to display the
animated images, so it sounds more like a problem with IE settings to me.

nass said:
:

[...]

Yes, I got another report last night in my email that using Firefox allowed
one to view the animated link, and like here with IE getting a blank page.
Some time back I took this up with IE support and got no ware. I don't know
what else to try as far as the IE settings, I have played with them several
times. Thanks for your input Gary.

:

:

[...]

I've found some old messages hinting that an update to IE around Jan 2006
(or before) changed the way some animated GIFs display (or don't.) One
website developer got an animated GIF to display by changing the frame rate
to 1/15 sec (from ???) That information may help the webmaster if you are in
contact with him/her again.

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

Midwestim said:
[...]

Thanks Don, I missed this reply until now. I will pass the info on but have
doupts I will ever get a reply, Like any Government agency, hard to get
answers...
Thanks thiugh
--

Don Varnau said:
[...]

NOAA responded...
The link is working - the problem is a browser issue, not the site.

I just checked the site in Firefox - worked fine,
Mozilla - worked fine
Opera - worked fine
WebTV - worked fine

Be advised that the iwin site is going to be shut down later this summer.

See:
http://www.weather.gov/inlr.php

Ron Jones
Web Manager / Internet Projects
NOAA's National Weather Service
Office of the Chief Information Officer
Silver Spring, MD

:

:

Midwestim said:
NOAA responded...
The link is working - the problem is a browser issue, not the site.

It's not that clear. E.g. it may be that there is some internal defect
in each image which is making IE decide not to render them.
The IE Dev Toolbar also isn't sure about it apparently.
(E.g. Images button - Show Image Files Sizes and View Image Report)

Here's what I posted to the IE7 beta NG about this:

<excerpt>
IE continually shows this image as a Red-X:

http://iwin.nws.noaa.gov/iwin/graphicsversion/p1loop.gif

IE Developer Toolbar says it's broken and that it has Size=-1B (?)

FiddlerTool shows that it works fine and that its size is known exactly.

Also, if I do File, Send, Page by E-mail (to OE)
and then doubleclick on the attachment it opens
fine in Windows Picture and Fax Viewer.

What is IE7's (and IEDT's) problem with it?
</excerpt>

FYI

Robert Aldwinckle
---

I just checked the site in Firefox - worked fine,
Mozilla - worked fine
Opera - worked fine
WebTV - worked fine

Thanks for the input Robert, This seemingly little problem has grown out of
proportion here. After all this hassle, time, involving everybody in the
country on this issue with IE, I am now told by web master that this
particular link/page is due to shut down soon. It will be replaced (along
with other links) within the NOAA site. I guess it is time to let the issue
R.I.P.. Observably there is some sort of a problem within IE6 that even
Microsoft doesn’t want to admit to. There support were the last ones I had
communications with on this display issue, and like NOAA’s support team. The
buck was passed. Back. Anyway, I want to thank everybody for there time
involved with this issue with IE6. If nothing else, I got to meet a lot of
nice people welling to help. Have a great day every…

Back
Top