DirectorySearcher & sorting

  • Start date Start date

cameron

I would like to do a search and have the results sorted by property 1
and then by property 2. My first thought had been

//set up the searching object and call it oSearch
oSearch.Sort.PropertyName = "Property1,Proptery2";

but that was unhappy. I can do a
oSearch.Sort.PropertyName = "Property1";
or
oSearch.Sort.PropertyName = "Property2";
without issue but I can not figure out how to do what I need. I took a
look at the System.DirectoryServices.SortOption and it doesn't seem to
do anything new either. I am dealing with a fairly large result set so I
REALLY do not want to have to do a sort myself after I get the results.

Thanks.

-Cam

If you move the content into a DataTable, your first method would work.
o_Table.DefaultView.SortExpression="Prop1, Prop2"

Then use the datatable as the source of your data.

Move the content? Copy the actual data from AD to a SQL table? Wouldn't
that be nasty expensive to do whenever I needed to search? Or is there a
way to access the underlaying Database object?

-Cam

Hello Cam,

There is no need to copy all the AD data to SQL table? What we need to do
is to see whether it is possible to copy the search result into a dataset.

Please refer to http://www.dotnet247.com/247reference/msgs/1/9450.aspx.

Hope it helps.

Best regards,
yhhuang
VS.NET, Visual C++
Microsoft

Got .Net? http://www.gotdotnet.com
--------------------
!Date: Fri, 04 Jul 2003 14:31:58 -0600
!From: cameron <[email protected]>
!Subject: Re: DirectorySearcher & sorting
!Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp,microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.a
spnet
!
!David Waz... wrote:
!> If you move the content into a DataTable, your first method would work.
!> o_Table.DefaultView.SortExpression="Prop1, Prop2"
!>
!> Then use the datatable as the source of your data.
!>
!>
!>
!> !>
!>>This is not possible, Active Directory supports only a single sort key.
!>>
!>>Willy.
!>>
!>
!> !>
!>>>I would like to do a search and have the results sorted by property 1
!>>>and then by property 2. My first thought had been
!>>>
!

Back
Top