Device Manager and some services error

  • Start date Start date

Calv

Hello there,

Straight to the point, Since I can't find a similar Graphic adapter, I
changed my display adapter from a defective Ati Radeon 9600XT to a known good
working Geforce FX5500. I heard somewhere that Vista might needs to
reactivate if a major changes are made to the system (hardware) but I have no
choice, so first powered up vista found new hardware and like "ussual" vista
didn't found the driver after several minutes searching, and prompting a
location for the driver, then I pointed to c:\windows\winsxs and finally
found it after another 5 minutes on searching.
Vista warned me that it can't verify the software publisher although that is
Microsoft WDDM driver (its own driver). So I ignored it and click "install
anyway..".

Restart, and everything seems back to normal with the "new" graphic adapter
installed. Even Vista still activated and everything work just fine, until I
try to launch device manager and it comes up with an error "This file does
not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Create an
association in the Set Associations control panel."

Then I try to launch the event viewer and hopes I might find some clue in
there, but it comes up with an error too "The application has failed to start
because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. please see the
application event log for more detail."
so far, I found windows media center, services.msc are also produce the same
error

What the hell... I can't even open the event log!!! it seems like vista
doesn't like the changes.

I need some advice, how to solve this problem? is this somewhat related to
reactivation issue? I also heard that an OEM windows version can only
reactivate 3 times, is that true?

FYI:
Proc. Pentium 4 Prescott 2,8 HT
M/B Asus P4P800-E Deluxe BIOS ver 1009
HDD 160GB Sata
DDR 1024MB Dual Channel
WIndows Vista Home Premium OEM unbranded upgraded to SP1.

Thx a bunch

I need some advice, how to solve this problem? is this somewhat related to
reactivation issue? I also heard that an OEM windows version can only
reactivate 3 times, is that true?

I don't know what your problem is but I can assure you that changing a
video card won't trigger activation.

As for the limit on activatios of an OEM version, I'm not sure about
that one, but I doubt that it's true.

A graphics card should not do that. There is no limit on activations on a
single installation on a single computer. However you may be prompted to
call Microsoft after 3 activations but they will activate it for you.

Is this an actual Vista disc or is it an OEM recovery disk? If it's an
actual Vista disk you should be able to perform an upgrade install to see if
that will repair your computer. You may need to uninstall SP1 to do this
procedure.

Ramone

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it Retail version has no limit on
activation? not OEM version especially an OEM unbranded version ?
As far as I know, OEM BRANDED version automatically activate / reactivate
upon recovery or reinstalling

This is an actual OEM UnBranded Vista disc, I haven't perform an upgrade to
repair the installation because I need to know whether it will affect my
activation status or not.

everything works just fine except device manager and some other services.

I use the type of OEM disks that you are using, purchased from Newegg and I
have had to call Microsoft to activate. As long as it's the same computer
they will activate. I tell them the same thing every time, that I had to
reformat due to a bad crash. You will not have problems. There is no limit
on actual activations, just the automatic kind. After you call them to
activate you will probably be able to activate a few more times before
having to call again.

Ramone

Thanks for your clarification Ramone, just one more question.
I have slipstreamed Vista SP1 into Vista installation Disc, Can I perform a
repair from the slipstreamed SP1 ?

I don't know how much time will be needed to uninstall SP1, but installing
SP1 takes more than 1 hour. It just too much time wasted if it really doesn't
solve my problem.

Hello,
Can you run MMC.exe and choose any of the snapins to run
Choose one of the snapins and see if they will run.
I suspect that your association in the registry for mcsfile is broken
What do you have in the registry under
HKEY_Classes_Root\mscfile
also what is under HKEY_Classes_Root\.msc
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

| >From: =?Utf-8?B?Q2Fsdg==?= <[email protected]>
| >Subject: Re: Device Manager and some services error
| >Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 18:25:01 -0700
| >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
| >
| >Thanks for your clarification Ramone, just one more question.
| >I have slipstreamed Vista SP1 into Vista installation Disc, Can I
perform a
| >repair from the slipstreamed SP1 ?
| >
| >I don't know how much time will be needed to uninstall SP1, but
installing
| >SP1 takes more than 1 hour. It just too much time wasted if it really
doesn't
| >solve my problem.
| >

| >"Ramone" wrote:
| >
| >> I use the type of OEM disks that you are using, purchased from Newegg
and I
| >> have had to call Microsoft to activate. As long as it's the same
computer
| >> they will activate. I tell them the same thing every time, that I had
| >> reformat due to a bad crash. You will not have problems. There is no
limit
| >> on actual activations, just the automatic kind. After you call them to
| >> activate you will probably be able to activate a few more times before
| >> having to call again.
| >>
| >> Ramone

but I

Hello Darrel,

Unfortunely I'm unable to run mmc.exe, it comes out with this error

HKEY_Classes_Root\mscfile
http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/image.php?427a58fd9e.jpg

HKEY_Classes_Root\.msc
http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/image.php?d36281dd16.jpg

Thank your for your response....

[QUOTE=""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]""]
Hello,
Can you run MMC.exe and choose any of the snapins to run
Choose one of the snapins and see if they will run.
I suspect that your association in the registry for mcsfile is broken
What do you have in the registry under
HKEY_Classes_Root\mscfile
also what is under HKEY_Classes_Root\.msc
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

| >From: =?Utf-8?B?Q2Fsdg==?= <[email protected]>
| >Subject: Re: Device Manager and some services error
| >Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2008 18:25:01 -0700
| >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
| >
| >Thanks for your clarification Ramone, just one more question.
| >I have slipstreamed Vista SP1 into Vista installation Disc, Can I
perform a
| >repair from the slipstreamed SP1 ?
| >
| >I don't know how much time will be needed to uninstall SP1, but
installing
| >SP1 takes more than 1 hour. It just too much time wasted if it really
doesn't
| >solve my problem.
| >

| >"Ramone" wrote:
| >
| >> I use the type of OEM disks that you are using, purchased from Newegg
and I
| >> have had to call Microsoft to activate. As long as it's the same
computer
| >> they will activate. I tell them the same thing every time, that I had
| >> reformat due to a bad crash. You will not have problems. There is no
limit
| >> on actual activations, just the automatic kind. After you call them to
| >> activate you will probably be able to activate a few more times before
| >> having to call again.
| >>
| >> Ramone

but I

[/QUOTE]

Hello,
First download and run this tool. This fixes manifest corruption
947821 Description of the System Update Readiness Tool for Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;947821

Then:
Open an elevated cmd prompt and run sfc /scannow
SFC uses the manifests so the this needs to be run after the above tool is
run.
Report any errors.
Use this article locate the errors if there are any:
929833 Some Windows Vista functions may not work, or Windows Vista may stop
responding
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;929833

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

| >From: =?Utf-8?B?Q2Fsdg==?= <[email protected]>
| >Subject: Re: Device Manager and some services error
| >Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 04:05:00 -0700
| >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
| >
| >Hello Darrel,
| >
| >Unfortunely I'm unable to run mmc.exe, it comes out with this error
| >

| >HKEY_Classes_Root\mscfile
| >http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/image.php?427a58fd9e.jpg
| >
| >HKEY_Classes_Root\.msc
| >http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/image.php?d36281dd16.jpg
| >
| >Thank your for your response....
| >

| >""Darrell Gorter[MSFT]"" wrote:
| >
| >> Hello,
| >> Can you run MMC.exe and choose any of the snapins to run
| >> Choose one of the snapins and see if they will run.
| >> I suspect that your association in the registry for mcsfile is broken
| >> What do you have in the registry under
| >> HKEY_Classes_Root\mscfile
| >> also what is under HKEY_Classes_Root\.msc
| >> Thanks,
| >> Darrell Gorter[MSFT]
| >>
| >> This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights
| >> --------------------

| >> perform a

| >> installing
| >> doesn't

Newegg
| >> and I
| >> computer
| >> limit

| >> reactivate

| >> upgrade
| >> affect my

| >> services.

| >> activations on a
| >> prompted to
| >> you.

| >> an
| >> to see
| >> this

| >> adapter, I
| >> but I
| >> "ussual"
| >> prompting
| >> although

| >> graphic
| >> fine,
| >> file

| >> clue
| >> failed to
| >> the
| >> produce the

| >> like

| >> related
| >> only

Hello,

The tool run for a while and then a pop up message saying "The update does
not apply to your system" I clicked OK then the tool exit.

Should I do the next step (SFC /scannow) ?

Hello,
Yes please run sfc /scannow then.

The other tool needs to be updated for SP1 before it can run on a system
with SP1 installed.
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

| >From: =?Utf-8?B?Q2Fsdg==?= <[email protected]>
| >Subject: Re: Device Manager and some services error
| >Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 18:49:01 -0700
| >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
| >
| >Hello,
| >
| >The tool run for a while and then a pop up message saying "The update
does
| >not apply to your system" I clicked OK then the tool exit.
| >
| >Should I do the next step (SFC /scannow) ?

SFC /scannow completed, but it didn't find any errors
"Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations"

Back
Top