Dear Murray

Lawrence Beyer

"one page website"? That means the entire site's contents are on a single
page? Ugh.

Post a link to this page. There may be nothing you can do with that being
your approach.

--
Murray
--------------

I have a one page "Ugh" website and I don't think it's that bad, but I'd
like your opinion. Look at www.LarrysSigns.com

Rob Giordano \(Crash\)

Looks much nicer than your old one.

| "one page website"? That means the entire site's contents are on a single
| page? Ugh.
|
| Post a link to this page. There may be nothing you can do with that being
| your approach.
|
| --
| Murray
| --------------
| MVP FrontPage
|

| I have a one page "Ugh" website and I don't think it's that bad, but I'd
| like your opinion. Look at www.LarrysSigns.com
|
| --
| (e-mail address removed)

Murray

This is definitely not what I had in mind when I made that comment!

What I was thinking of, and most often see, is a single page with mounds of
hidden layers, each containing a page's worth of content, and a menu that
simply shows and hides the desired layers.

This gives you a page heavier than 2 Hummers, sluggish as a snail,
impossible to bookmark, and just a big mistake. Your page is not that....

Tina Clarke

Murray said:
This is definitely not what I had in mind when I made that comment!

What I was thinking of, and most often see, is a single page with mounds
of hidden layers, each containing a page's worth of content, and a menu
that simply shows and hides the desired layers.

This gives you a page heavier than 2 Hummers, sluggish as a snail,
impossible to bookmark, and just a big mistake. Your page is not that....

coming in late...

It does have seo (search engine optimisation) concerns ... a lot of the
content on all the sites is duplicate...

Tina

--

http://accessfp.net/ - FrontPage Tutorials
http://anyfrontpage.com/ - http://frontpage-ebooks.com/

Murray

Yes, definitely. It's hard to take advantage of the variety of 'spider
food' you can use in <title> tags when you only have ONE PAGE! 8)

Lawrence Beyer

My Souvenir Street Signs website and Souvenir Signs website are the same. I
thought that having two websites with different names would increase my
presence with the search engines. Am I wrong? If so, what do you recommend?

(e-mail address removed)

Murray

I don't think you will find any extra spin from this. What might make a
difference would be an incoming link from your local newspaper, or from some
large clients you have recently served.

Also, more effective use of the page's <title> tags, as you have on the
souvenir signs site would be a good idea. And it wouldn't hurt to have a
meta description on each page. Finally, good semantic markup would be a
bonus, i.e., use of <h1>, <h2>, etc., tags in the contents of each page to
highlight important paragraph topic sentences or potential search
phrases....

Lawrence Beyer

Could you explain use of <h1>, <h2> tags? I don't know any code, in fact I
struggle using FP.

(e-mail address removed)

Murray

I don't know any code, in fact I struggle using FP.

The more of the former you know, the less of the latter you'll do.

There are certain tags in the HTML bag that carry 'semantic' meaning: <h1>,
<h2>,...<h6> - they are semantic in the sense that they are like paragraph
topic sentences. Search engines use them to deduce what your page is all
about. One solid strategy for optimizing your pages for search engines is
to make sure that you have several of them on each page, and that they
contain keyword-rich phrases that might be used to find that particular page
in a search. The hierarchy of the <h#> tags implies a hierarchy of content
priority, just like a numbered list or an outline of topics would.

Your pages have none....

Lawrence Beyer

Thanks for the help.
Yesterday I went to my high school class reunion and I thought I might be
able to casually hand out some business cards without it looking like
business. I asked
my two classmates who organized the reunion if they had computers, and they
said no. I was surprised that neither of these two leaders had computers,
but
evidently a lot of people my age don't have computers. You must realize that
we went to school long before the computer age.
I am 78 years old and self-taught about computers. Everything I know I
got from reading books, reading the internet, and reading this newsgroup. I
think I am doing fairly well, without having any computer schooling. I have
built some not too good websites, but most of my classmates don't even own
computers. I don't think there are too many 78 year olds who have even
attempted to build their own sites.
Take it easy on us old geezers! By the way, I can read and write
English. I notice a lot of posts by computer geeks who know computers, but
their English and spelling leave something to be desired.
Thanks again for all the help I get here (when they explain how to do it
with FP).

(e-mail address removed)

Trevor L.

I am not sure whether this is a post to elicit general response, BUT

Lawrence said:
Thanks for the help.
Yesterday I went to my high school class reunion and I thought I
might be able to casually hand out some business cards without it
looking like business. I asked
my two classmates who organized the reunion if they had computers,
and they said no. I was surprised that neither of these two leaders
had computers, but
evidently a lot of people my age don't have computers. You must
realize that we went to school long before the computer age.

I suppose it is surprising, but old dogs learning new tricks and all that.

Many older persons take up learning about computers in their retirement and
do really well. I guess you are one of them.
I am 78 years old and self-taught about computers. Everything I
know I got from reading books, reading the internet, and reading this
newsgroup. I think I am doing fairly well, without having any
computer schooling. I have built some not too good websites, but most
of my classmates don't even own computers.

Well, you have prompted me to look at your site quoted in your post
I don't think there are
too many 78 year olds who have even attempted to build their own
sites. Take it easy on us old geezers! By the way, I can read and
write English. I notice a lot of posts by computer geeks who know
computers, but their English and spelling leave something to be
desired. Thanks again for all the help I get here (when they
explain how to do it with FP).

I have read your posts and never even thought that they were not from
someone who knew his stuff.

I think that the way you have learnt is great. I knew nearly nothing about
the internet, except how to use it, when I retired 3 years ago. I had never
built a site, but I have learnt a lot via the net and the newsgroups. I am
now starting on my second site (reference below).

As for the geeks, yes the English and spelling can be a little off. The
former may be due to their youth. Who learns much English these days? :))
The latter could be due to ignorance or carelessness. In my case, it is
because I can't touch type and my spell checker in OE6 doesn't work when
responding to the newsgroup. I wish I knew why. To spell check, I have to
manually select the document and invoke it, which is a nuisance.

May I make one comment re: "Thanks again for all the help I get here (when
they explain how to do it with FP)." ?

I feel that Murray's comment ("The more of the former you know, the less of
the latter you'll do.") is really pertinent. If you learn more about HTML,
you can do things without knowing the FP menu options. (The same applies to
CSS and JS.) Once you get the hang of it, coding can actually be easier.
Again, I knew no HTML, CSS or JS 3 years ago; now I know a reasonable
amount - enough to not use the FP menus much at all. I fact my aim is always
to write the code myself.

Anyway, keep trying. And we are always here to help.

Cheryl D Wise

I think it depends on the person more than the age. I have two students who
are outstanding in my web classes that are in their 70s. I gave a
presentation on behalf of Microsoft at a Senior Computer Club. I followed a
regular presenter there who was 93. My father-in-law is 78 and uses his
computer daily to scan in and organize the photos he took throughout his
life as well as those he inherited from family members back to the mid
1800s.

Cheryl D Wise

Trevor,

Have you checked to make sure that "Always check spelling before sending" is
checked in OE under Tools | Options | Spelling tab? By default OE doesn't
check replies.

You may have only been working on websites for three years but you've
obviously learned a lot or you wouldn't be able to use that sig line of
yours. <g>

Rob Giordano \(Crash\)

My mom's 81 the kids (my bro, sis & I) bought her a computer a few years
ago...she learned to type with Mavis B. AND use Word (amazing...oh sure
there were a zillion questions!) but she learned on her own. Then she
translated my grandfather's autobio from Italian into English. Totally
amazing. And.. now guess who gets to publish it?

And then again; I have an associate (my age) who refuses to learn to really
use his computer and is still making out invoices with a pen and piece of
paper...imagine that!

"Cheryl D Wise" <wiserways.wiserways.com> wrote in message
|I think it depends on the person more than the age. I have two students who
| are outstanding in my web classes that are in their 70s. I gave a
| presentation on behalf of Microsoft at a Senior Computer Club. I followed
| regular presenter there who was 93. My father-in-law is 78 and uses his
| computer daily to scan in and organize the photos he took throughout his
| life as well as those he inherited from family members back to the mid
| 1800s.
|
| --
| Cheryl D Wise
| FrontPage MVP
| http://by-expression.com
| Online Instructor led training at http://starttoweb.com
|

| | > Thanks for the help.
| > Yesterday I went to my high school class reunion and I thought I might
| > be able to casually hand out some business cards without it looking like
| > business. I asked
| > my two classmates who organized the reunion if they had computers, and
| > they said no. I was surprised that neither of these two leaders had
| > computers, but
| > evidently a lot of people my age don't have computers. You must realize
| > that we went to school long before the computer age.
| > I am 78 years old and self-taught about computers. Everything I know I
| > got from reading books, reading the internet, and reading this
newsgroup.
| > I think I am doing fairly well, without having any computer schooling. I
| > have built some not too good websites, but most of my classmates don't
| > even own computers. I don't think there are too many 78 year olds who
have
| > even attempted to build their own sites.
| > Take it easy on us old geezers! By the way, I can read and write
| > English. I notice a lot of posts by computer geeks who know computers,
but
| > their English and spelling leave something to be desired.
| > Thanks again for all the help I get here (when they explain how to do
it
| > with FP).
| >
| > (e-mail address removed)

Trevor L.

Cheryl said:
Trevor,

Have you checked to make sure that "Always check spelling before
sending" is checked in OE under Tools | Options | Spelling tab? By
default OE doesn't check replies.

Yes, it is checked. That's why I am surprised that it doesn't work
You may have only been working on websites for three years but you've
obviously learned a lot or you wouldn't be able to use that sig line
of yours. <g>

Yes, I was amazed that I was nominated, yet alone accepted. But, don't look
a gift horse in the mouth :))

Murray

imagine that!

It is hard to imagine. I try at times to think how business could run
anymore without computers. It's equally hard to imagine....

Clark

My DW just had her 50'th year high school reunion and I wound up doing
all the website and database work for the committee because no one
else could do it. And of her classmates, only approximately 50% of
them have emails. Hard to believe, but true!

I mean, what do you *do* when you get up in the morning and pour a cup
of coffee if not get on the computer and catch up with stuff!!

Cheryl D Wise

Yep, even my father who doesn't particularly like computers and has diabetes
related vision problems fires up his computer most days if only to check on
his stocks and check out what his doctor tells him. My father had 1 year of
medical school 50 years ago and thinks he knows more than his doctor so he
always triple checks what he's told then goes ahead and does what he wants
anyway. <g>

He taught himself to use Word after asking me to write a letter for him 14
years ago (after my mother died who owned the computer and used it daily)
because he was having trouble with the Word Perfect for Dos my brother had
installed on the computer. I hated Word Perfect took one look and installed
Word 2.0 for Windows 3.11 which was the OS used and wrote the letter. My dad
thought Word looked much better and he's been using it ever since.

I've got a several relatives in the 70s that use computers and the web
though none of them create their own web pages. Heck, my extremely computer
literate husband is not allowed to touch our business website because his
idea of how to create a web page is to type it up in Word, pop it in a
FrontPage theme and publish. So he sends me his Word docs and I turn them
into proper web pages before they go up. Heck, he wanted to use PowePoints
"save for the web" and put some presentations that way, shudder.

Tina Clarke

evidently a lot of people my age don't have computers. You must realize
that we went to school long before the computer age.

I don't see what difference that makes I'm 46 and we didn't have computers
at school either!

Some of the best site makers I know are older. I think it depends on your
temperament not your age so don't make age an excuse for anything. My dad is
just finishing a masters degree (not about computing per se) and he's 76,
has built several dozen computers and knows more about software than I've
had hot dinners.
Take it easy on us old geezers! By the way, I can read and write
English. I notice a lot of posts by computer geeks who know computers, but
their English and spelling leave something to be desired.

One thing you might not realise but it's not done to criticise that kind of
thing in posts, if you want to do that go join an English ng. It's not going
to change and frankly it's a rally to start a debate totally off topic....if
you can't understand a post .. ask for clarification but otherwise...

99% of us are self taught... very few people actually go to school/college
to learn how to make sites. I'm 100% self taught ... I learn by reading
posts/tutorials and making observations on how others do things and getting
help when I get stuck, why should being self taught be an excuse for not
learning more? Ya don't know something right now?.. fine ... ask and you
shall receive the help you want, the only stupid question is the one that
never got asked.

If your serious about your website and serious about learning SE0 (Search
Engine Optimisation) I highly recommend Cricket's Free SEO Classes

This link includes an overview of the free classes, along with a link to
class registration.

http://www.gnc-web-creations.com/seo-optimization.htm

BOTH the SEO Class and the Marketing Class are required. One must join both
BEFORE one's membership will be approved.

You are using duplicate content for your sites.... you bet your bottom
dollar your going to be stomped on by the search engines.. Google in
particular is very particular. see
http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/bin/answer.py?answer=35769

and to put that in to a nutshell

http://www.website-development-training.com/duplicate-content/