Database engine can't lock a table

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date
G

Sorry for the long explanation but hopefully it will help someone figure out what is going on....

I'm trying to get a query to get current patients in a clinic and have it display on a form that updates itself every 45 seconds. The problem is everytime the form tries to refresh itself via a macro set on a 45 second timer I get an error saying the "Database Engine cannot lock table 'table name' because it's already in use by another person or process.

I have a frontend and backend database set up. On the backend I have the data being pulled and entered into 3 different make tables (1 for each area of the clinic). These queries are set to run every 30 seconds and go off without a hitch

The front end database has links to the tables generated on the backend and uses 3 queries to replicate those tables (I figured this would release the tables for the backend database to run). There is one form that displays a subform which displays each of those make tables. The problem comes up when the front end form tries to run its query to update the data....I get the Database engine can't lock table error

Does anyone have a suggestion please ?????

Thanks for reading and for any help you can give

Chri

So if you close & reopen the form it opens without problem?

What is the refresh code you are calling?

--
James Goodman
MCSE MCDBA
http://www.angelfire.com/sports/f1pictures/
Chris said:
Sorry for the long explanation but hopefully it will help someone figure out what is going on.....

I'm trying to get a query to get current patients in a clinic and have it
display on a form that updates itself every 45 seconds. The problem is
everytime the form tries to refresh itself via a macro set on a 45 second
timer I get an error saying the "Database Engine cannot lock table 'table
name' because it's already in use by another person or process."
I have a frontend and backend database set up. On the backend I have the
data being pulled and entered into 3 different make tables (1 for each area
of the clinic). These queries are set to run every 30 seconds and go off
without a hitch.
The front end database has links to the tables generated on the backend
and uses 3 queries to replicate those tables (I figured this would release
the tables for the backend database to run). There is one form that
displays a subform which displays each of those make tables. The problem
comes up when the front end form tries to run its query to update the
data....I get the Database engine can't lock table error.

I have a macro that runs 6 different queries and finally displays the form with data from the queries. I set a timer in the form properties to run that macro every 45 seconds. If I use it with the timer I get the error, if I manually shut the form down and then immediately rerun the macro it works fine

Back