Cookies disappear

  • Start date Start date

drybones

I have to re-type my user names and passwords each time I revisit any site.
Using IE 6.
Looked into the cookie folder for myself and nothing there but index.dat

This has just started in the last 2 days.
Any ideas why this is happening?

Thanks for reading and hopefully replying.
drybones

drybones said:
I have to re-type my user names and passwords each time I revisit any
site. Using IE 6.
Looked into the cookie folder for myself and nothing there but
index.dat

This has just started in the last 2 days.
Any ideas why this is happening?

Thanks for reading and hopefully replying.
drybones

Did you check Tools | Internet Options | Content | AutoComplete?

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Hello Frank,
Auto complete has two(2) checks:
Web addresses and user names and passwords.

Is this correct?
drybones

Hi,
You could also check Forms, but it's not causing this problem. If the
problem is caused by cookies not being saved, check settings in Internet
Options> Privacy. Either allow all cookies or set the slider to low. Do you
have another program running that's blocking cookies?

Other cookie articles:
814141 - Error Message Your Web Browser Options Are Currently Set to Disable
Cookies...
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;814141
Q175662 - Error Message Not Accepting Cookies:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];Q175662
299331 - Web Site Reports That You Must Enable Cookies:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=299331
Q315207 - Error Message Cannot Open Webpage Because Cookies Are Not Enabled:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q315207
Q317689 - Error Message Your Browser Is Not Currently Set to Accept Cookies:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;q317689
and
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers.htm#cookies

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

drybones said:
Hello Frank,drybones
Auto complete has two(2) checks:
Web addresses and user names and passwords.

Is this correct?
drybones
Frank, now there are 'no' cookies from any site that I visit in the Cookie
folder.
Documents and Settings/drybones/cookies

Tried several sites that would normally set cookies, and nothing.
drybones

Don Varnau said:
Frank Saunders said:
"drybones" <drybones[at]nospam.net> wrote in message
[...]

Hi Don,
First off I do not get the " Error Message: Not Accepting Cookies " message
from any site.

None of the above urls were of any help. 8^(
Then checking I find 'no' Cookie folder within Windows folder.
Also, documents and settings/drybones/cookies is empty of cookies.
Have dropped security to low with no results.
I am running service pack 2 with XP home.

I have no program for killing cookies that I can find within control
panel/add remove programs
nor in the Start/program listing. Checked in case a rogue program popped up.

There must be some setting that blocks all cookies.
drybones

drybones said:
Don Varnau said:
[...]

Oh yes, security setting is and has been to low.
drybones

I don't know. Try going to www.msn.com and customizing the site.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

drybones said:
Don Varnau said:
drybones said:
"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP IE/OE" <franksaunders#mvps.org> wrote in message
[...]

I dunno... ;-) I would check settings of any privacy/security type program
that may be blocking cookies or clearing cookies when you shutdown or log
off. What's running in the Systray? What shows up in Task mgr (ctrl-alt-del
processes?)

You might have a damaged Cookies folder. To delete it, you will probably
have to login as another user with admin privileges or from the machine's
default administrator account (startup in Safe Mode.) A new Cookies will be
created on restart.

For "Password not saved" issues, see if something here helps:
http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer/answers2.htm#save_password

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

Don Varnau said:
drybones said:
Don Varnau said:
[...]

Problem resolved, I hope.
I thoroughly removed all instances of TweakIE 3.1, shut down and restarted,
went to a few web pages, then checked the Cookie folder and low and behold
'Cookies". 8^)

Re-installed TweakIE and was able to manage cookies and save. Restarted
twice and cookies remained in the folder.

Must have been something corrupted in the TweakIE files. As have been using
this program for many years with 'no' problems. Well, up to now.

Many thanks for your assist.
drybones

Back
Top