Cookie / Security hell ...

  • Start date Start date

RJK

For goodness sake ! ....who is

ebaystatic.com
include.ebaystatic.com
srx.uk.ebayrtm.com

....even while on https:// pages at ebay they're trying to send me cookies
from TIMBUCKTOO !!

regards, Richard

I doubt they are real ebay items. Have you used some anti-spyware lately?

Free Anti-Spyware Tools (McAfee's Anti-Spyware is available for a 30-day
free trial):
http://forums.mcafeehelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=32295

Adaware SE
http://www.lavasoft.de/software/adaware/ (look for free download link)
Alternative download link:
http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,7423,tk,Top10,00.asp

Spybot Search and Destroy
http://www.spybot.info/en/index.html

SpywareBlaster
http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/

CWShredder
http://www.trendmicro.com/cwshredder/

They mostly are real "ebay items," which is what I was moaning about.

My main complaint, (and believe me I have complained to ebay and Paypal), is
that my various internet security settings and internet security layers, in
my view, should not be having to deflect data-tracking cookies whilst on a
https / SSL link with them. THEY, (ebay / Paypal) are permitting, or
inviting ad/cookie servers into and onto their website, EVEN while I am on a
secure page with them. However convincing and placating the "cookie
privacy" details, on the data-trackers websites, I'm not happy to divulge,
(and have stored there), my bank and credit card details whilst they're
permitting data-trackers to track my surfing/purchasing habits. The whole
principle seems wrong.

If I walk into a store tobuy something, and the salesperson insisted on
knowing which shops I'd visited prior "now," so that he/she could fill in a
consumer survey, that the shop intended to sell to SQUID or DOUBLECLICK, I'd
tell him/her to Fluk off !!

regards, Richard

[typos/ommissions corrected]

They mostly are real "ebay items," which is what I was moaning about.

My main complaint, (and believe me I have complained to ebay and Paypal), is
that my various internet security settings and internet security layers, in
my view, should not be having to deflect data-tracking cookies whilst on a
https / SSL link with them. THEY, (ebay / Paypal) are permitting, or
inviting ad/cookie servers into and onto their website, EVEN whilst I'm on a
secure page with them. However convincing and placating the "cookie
privacy" details, on the data-trackers websites, I'm not happy to divulge,
(and have stored there - ebay/Paypal), my bank and credit card details
whilst they're
permitting data-trackers to track my surfing/purchasing habits. The whole
principle seems wrong.

If I walk into a store tobuy something, and the salesperson insisted on
knowing which shops I'd visited prior to "now," so that he/she could fill in
consumer survey, that the shop intended to sell on to SQUID or DOUBLECLICK,
I'd
tell him/her to Fluk off !! ...very frustrating not to be able to do that
with ebay and Paypal, email complaints to them yield just automated response
emails

regards, Richard

What makes you think they are data trackers? Cookies are placed to expedite
signing into "My Ebay" etc. etc.
Run some spyware tools to make sure. I've never had any problem with ebay
or paypal.

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada
RJK said:
[...]

in a

RJK said:
[...]

Ebay Privacy Policy:
http://pages.ebay.ca/help/policies/privacy-policy.html?ssPageName=f:f:CA

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada

RJK said:
[...]

Right ! :-) (stuck an "x" in place of an "h" on URL's below so nobody
clicks on the damned things, ...got told off by Robear ? once about that!)

The moment I go to Paypal.com, (an ebay company), the cookie below, for
example, gets blocked:- (damned things won't copy and paste ...gotta
typo'em out :-)
{Cookie properties} -
[xttps://paypalssl.doubleclick.net/adj/paypal.uk/-outside;lang=en...etc.]
Okay, so that's probably NOT an OK one, i.e. it's got "doubleclick" in it,
and is simply a rejected third party cookie that can be ignored.

The moment I go to ebay.com :-
{Cookie properties} - [xttps://srv.uk.ebayrtm.com/rtm?] gets rejected
....BUT, that' probably an OK one),
....so that's another cookie, from yet another ebay domain that I have to set
to manually "allow" in IE6's Privay settings, if I want to eventaully use
the ebay site without hindrance. This one is obviously part of the "normal"
workings of ebay, BUT with sensible security levels set, it gets blocked,
All the while, navigating around the ebay site, one is CONSTANTLY having to
manually search things out and either allow or dissallow them, if you see
what I mean.

Whilst on a SSL page to either ebay or Paypal the other night, I Googled
about a rejected cookie and found it came from
{URL} -
[xttp://www.ccc.br/squid-reports/2005Dec07-2005Dec07/10.0.30.9/10.0.30.9.html]
....looks like they're selling consumer statistic lists or whatever the
Cookie hell they're called.

The point I'm trying to make, if you like, is that whilst navigating around
sites such as ebay and Paypal, that are supposed to be trustworthy, it seems
very difficult to set ones various security features, in IE6 and (in my
case) Zonealarm internet security, in a sensible or "automatic" way.

Or in other words, it's difficult and time consuming to differentiate
between, as you say, <quote> Cookies are placed to expedite signing into "My
Ebay" etc. etc.<endquote>, such as "xttps://srv.uk.ebayrtm.com/rtm?" and
the ones that originate from sites like:-
[xttp://www.ccc.br/squid-reports/2005Dec07-2005Dec07/10.0.30.9/10.0.30.9.html]

.....phew.

"Peter" <ex-brit AT rogers DOT com> wrote in message
[...]

oops ! sorry about posted twice somehow, ...much easier to cross post, but
I promised someone, somwhere, that I wouldn't do that anymore !

U think you are worrying too much. I have my security settings at default
level and never have any such problems.
Most cookies are good ones, otherwise navigating the net would be a chore.

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada
RJK said:
[...]

....phew.

regards, Richard

RJK said:
[...]

fill in a
[...]

Your're right, I know ! ...my brother in Bournemouth told me the same thing
on the 'phone last night :-)

Having said that, it still seems to me "wrong," that for "ease of surfing,"
I have to "ignore" doubleclick sniffing around - even on SSL pages !!!

regards, Richard

Peter said:
[...]

WQell, I'd take it up with Ebay. They do reply personally often. I just
got an email from them about a setting problem and they definitely didn't
use a machine to do it.

--
Peter
Toronto, Canada

[...]