cookie question

  • Start date Start date

daniel kaplan

some people are having a cookie problem on my companies website, and here is
where i MAY have foudn the problem (our tech guy is MIA, long story)

let's say this is my website: www.AcmeFive.com

you can still get to it via: http://AcmeFive.com and www.Acme5.com and
so on and so on

it is possible, not fully confirmed, that unless you go to my website via
the top way (www.AcmeFive.com) you will experience some cookie problems.

does this make sense? i am just getting into the WEB side of things and
seem to recall that webbrowsers KNOW how you got into them, and wonder if
you can program it so that unless the user types the PROPER web address,
that there woudl be headaches.

i hope this post makes sense,

thanks ahead, as always

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your posting.

While I tried to connect to the AcmeFive.com you mentioned, I couldn't
access the website since the page cannot be found.
Would you mind check the website for me to perform the further research?

Thanks, and looking forward to your reply.

Sincerely,
Carsyn Gu
Microsoft Online Partner Support

from your issue.

| From: "daniel kaplan" <[email protected]>
| Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.internetexplorer,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.
browser
| Subject: cookie question
| Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 22:52:58 -0500
|
| some people are having a cookie problem on my companies website, and here
is
| where i MAY have foudn the problem (our tech guy is MIA, long story)
|
| let's say this is my website: www.AcmeFive.com
|
| you can still get to it via: http://AcmeFive.com and www.Acme5.com and
| so on and so on
|
| it is possible, not fully confirmed, that unless you go to my website via
| the top way (www.AcmeFive.com) you will experience some cookie problems.
|
| does this make sense? i am just getting into the WEB side of things and
| seem to recall that webbrowsers KNOW how you got into them, and wonder if
| you can program it so that unless the user types the PROPER web address,
| that there woudl be headaches.
|
| i hope this post makes sense,
|
| thanks ahead, as always

these were just examples
Carsyn Gu said:
Hi Daniel,

Thanks for your posting.

While I tried to connect to the AcmeFive.com you mentioned, I couldn't
access the website since the page cannot be found.
Would you mind check the website for me to perform the further research?

Thanks, and looking forward to your reply.

Sincerely,
Carsyn Gu
Microsoft Online Partner Support

from your issue.

| From: "daniel kaplan" <[email protected]>
| Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.internetexplorer,microsoft.public.windows.inetexplorer.ie6.
browser
| Subject: cookie question
| Date: Tue, 9 Nov 2004 22:52:58 -0500
|
| some people are having a cookie problem on my companies website, and here
is
| where i MAY have foudn the problem (our tech guy is MIA, long story)
|
| let's say this is my website: www.AcmeFive.com
|
| you can still get to it via: http://AcmeFive.com and www.Acme5.com and
| so on and so on
|
| it is possible, not fully confirmed, that unless you go to my website via
| the top way (www.AcmeFive.com) you will experience some cookie problems.
|
| does this make sense? i am just getting into the WEB side of things and
| seem to recall that webbrowsers KNOW how you got into them, and wonder if
| you can program it so that unless the user types the PROPER web address,
| that there woudl be headaches.
|
| i hope this post makes sense,
|
| thanks ahead, as always

Yes, each cookie will only be available on the domain that created it.
Also, if you try to set the DOMAIN on the cookie to a domain other than the
current one, your SetCookie call will fail.

You can see the SetCookie headers in Fiddler (www.fiddlertool.com/fiddler)
if you're setting them via headers, or you can see them in the body of the
document in Fiddler or via the "View Source" command in the browser.

Eric Lawrence
Program Manager
Internet Explorer Trust

Cookies are only (should only) be readably from the domain that wrote them,
it is possible to allow any domain from the top down to have access or to
limit it to the sub domain that wrote it depending on how the cookie is
written; So a cookie written from xyz.abc.com can be written so it is
readably only from xyz.abc.com or abc.com.

It would seem the easier approach would to check the top level domain and if
it doesn't match your primary name then redirect a user to you primary then
you will always have access to your cookies!

So check the URL using window.location and if its not the correct location
use window.location.replace to ensure all users enter via the same domain
name.

Back
Top