Computer Stolen and With it my COA

Ryan Trentelman

Hello,

Last Sunday I returned home to find my PC as well as my
roommates had been stolen. Unfortunately, my COA was
stuck to the side of my case so I now have a legal Windows
XP retail CD, and no COA.

I was curious as to how I can go about getting a hold of a
new one through Microsoft as I've tried calling the number
provided when searching for Windows XP liscense on
www.microsoft.com and it puts me through to the Product
Activation Center, but I don't feel like talking to a
computer for my entire call and need my PC in front of me
to do it (I want to have my key before I get back to re-
installing windows etc. and some of my parts are still on
backorder.)

If anyone has had this problem before or is aware of what
I need to do to get a hold of another COA from Microsoft
this information would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Ryan Trentelman

Jim Macklin

Try this
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;326246

You will need proof that you have purchased XP, such as your
receipt from the dealer.

"Ryan Trentelman" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
| Hello,
|
| Last Sunday I returned home to find my PC as well as my
| roommates had been stolen. Unfortunately, my COA was
| stuck to the side of my case so I now have a legal Windows
| XP retail CD, and no COA.
|
| I was curious as to how I can go about getting a hold of a
| new one through Microsoft as I've tried calling the number
| provided when searching for Windows XP liscense on
| www.microsoft.com and it puts me through to the Product
| Activation Center, but I don't feel like talking to a
| computer for my entire call and need my PC in front of me
| to do it (I want to have my key before I get back to re-
| installing windows etc. and some of my parts are still on
| backorder.)
|
| If anyone has had this problem before or is aware of what
| I need to do to get a hold of another COA from Microsoft
| this information would be much appreciated.
|
| Thanks in advance,
|
| Ryan Trentelman

Steve C. Ray

I'm not sure I understand your problem. What you need to use XP is the
Product Key. The COA is not the Product Key. A retail (not OEM) copy of XP
comes in a box with a COA on the outside of the box, and the Product Key is
on a orange sticker inside the folder the CD comes in. You can't stick this
to the case. A OEM version may be purchased with a piece of hardware, it is
not boxed, has a sticker that you place on the case. If it is OEM it can't
be used on another computer, it goes with the computer, even stolen.
Microsoft does not support OEM versions.

Paul

I'm sorry to hear that your roommates were stolen. :)

| Hello,
|
| Last Sunday I returned home to find my PC as well as my
| roommates had been stolen. Unfortunately, my COA was
| stuck to the side of my case so I now have a legal Windows
| XP retail CD, and no COA.
|
| I was curious as to how I can go about getting a hold of a
| new one through Microsoft as I've tried calling the number
| provided when searching for Windows XP liscense on
| www.microsoft.com and it puts me through to the Product
| Activation Center, but I don't feel like talking to a
| computer for my entire call and need my PC in front of me
| to do it (I want to have my key before I get back to re-
| installing windows etc. and some of my parts are still on
| backorder.)
|
| If anyone has had this problem before or is aware of what
| I need to do to get a hold of another COA from Microsoft
| this information would be much appreciated.
|
| Thanks in advance,
|
| Ryan Trentelman

Bruce Chambers

Greetings --

An OEM license, once installed, is not legally transferable to
another computer under any circumstances. This is the best reason to
avoid OEM versions; if the PC dies or is otherwise disposed of (even
stolen), you cannot re-use your OEM license on a new PC.

Just make sure your insurance claim covers the cost of replacing
the OS as well as the PC.

Bruce Chambers

--
Help us help you:

having both at once. -- RAH

Lester Horwinkle

Who owns the OS? The laptop owner or Microsoft?

Answer: Microsoft.

So the laptop thief stole the OS from Microsoft.

And the original laptop owner is entitled to continue using the OS that he's
already paid for.

Of course, he'll need a new computer to run it on.

ceedee

incorrect
neither microsoft or the laptop owner own the software.
the actual machine the oem is on "owns " it i suppose
the laptop owner doesnt have any right to use that
oem version if he doesnt have it on the laptop in question
harsh but thats the way it is

Larc

| incorrect
| neither microsoft or the laptop owner own the software.
| the actual machine the oem is on "owns " it i suppose
| the laptop owner doesnt have any right to use that
| oem version if he doesnt have it on the laptop in question
| harsh but thats the way it is

Inanimate objects cannot own anything!

Larc

§§§ - Please raise temperature of mail to reply by e-mail - §§§

Bruce Chambers

Greetings --

You're very much mistaken, I'm afraid. Have you never read an OEM
EULA? An OEM OS installation is considered to be an integral,
non-severable part of the PC on which it is installed. When the PC
was stolen, so was the license for the OS. It's been this way for
years.

Bruce Chambers

--
Help us help you: