Clarification before I screw up again please

  • Start date Start date

rodisi

After days of reading endless questions re IMO and CW, I think I have
decided that I should change from IMO to CW in order to reach my goal,
which is to have Outlook 2000 prompt for the user.

I'm using Win98SE and have five users set up but O2K does not prompt
for a user when opening. Two weeks ago I read that I should uninstall
O2K, delete all the user profiles and reinstall in a particular
sequence. I did it without thinking it thru and all that happened was
loose a bunch of data and settings from several programs and still no
prompting by O2K.

Would someone please confirm that with a standalone computer with
Win98SE, O2K (set up as IMO)and five user profiles - if I want O2K to
prompt for the user and that user will have his/her own folders only
showing, then I should convert to CW?

Thanks in advance

The only way IMO can use separate profiles is to set up separate Windows
Logon profiles first, then install Outlook. Only C/W can be configured to
prompt for different profiles within the same Windows Logon.

Thanks Russ - I just went to change from IMO to CW and read the help
file before pressing the Yes button. This is what it said -

If you change from the Internet Only option to the Corporate or
Workgroup option, you will need to add Microsoft Exchange or another
mail service to your profile. On the Tools menu, click Services, and
then click Add.

Does that mean I have to now buy Microsoft Exchange?

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
rodisi said:
After days of reading endless questions re IMO and CW, I think I have
decided that I should change from IMO to CW in order to reach my goal,
which is to have Outlook 2000 prompt for the user.

I'm using Win98SE and have five users set up but O2K does not prompt
for a user when opening. Two weeks ago I read that I should uninstall
O2K, delete all the user profiles and reinstall in a particular
sequence. I did it without thinking it thru and all that happened was
loose a bunch of data and settings from several programs and still no
prompting by O2K.

Would someone please confirm that with a standalone computer with
Win98SE, O2K (set up as IMO)and five user profiles - if I want O2K to
prompt for the user and that user will have his/her own folders only
showing, then I should convert to CW?

Thanks in advance

No, not at all. See the "another mail service" part? You just need to add
whatever transport(s) you want to use--most likely Internet Mail.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

rodisi said:
After days of reading endless questions re IMO and CW, I think I have
decided that I should change from IMO to CW in order to reach my goal,
which is to have Outlook 2000 prompt for the user.

I'm using Win98SE and have five users set up but O2K does not prompt
for a user when opening. Two weeks ago I read that I should uninstall
O2K, delete all the user profiles and reinstall in a particular
sequence. I did it without thinking it thru and all that happened was
loose a bunch of data and settings from several programs and still no
prompting by O2K.

Would someone please confirm that with a standalone computer with
Win98SE, O2K (set up as IMO)and five user profiles - if I want O2K to
prompt for the user and that user will have his/her own folders only
showing, then I should convert to CW?

Thanks in advance

Back
Top