Changing Icons

G

on restart, any new program icons and various others, some in Control Panel,
revert to the standard .exe. icon ( white box & blue top bar ). Some icons I
can change, others not, but on restart they appear back as the standard.
If I use the change icon facility, the various choices are there, but will
not change when selected.
Can anyone please help with this annoying problem.
Grateful thanks!.

G

George Hester

Normally that happens when the icon resource is no longer available. That could be because the file itself
that is used to start the application is missing; it could happen because the file itself has permissions set so
that your login cannot access the file; it could be your shelliconcache is corrupted although a reboot should
fix that. If not try right-clicking on the desktop | Properties | Appearance | drop down select Icon | drop size
down to 31 from 32 | Apply | OK. Do this again but put the size back to 32.

G

George Hester said:
Normally that happens when the icon resource is no longer available. That could be because the file itself
that is used to start the application is missing; it could happen because the file itself has permissions set so
that your login cannot access the file; it could be your shelliconcache is corrupted although a reboot should
fix that. If not try right-clicking on the desktop | Properties | Appearance | drop down select Icon | drop size
down to 31 from 32 | Apply | OK. Do this again but put the size back to 32.

--
George Hester

I found the 'shellIconcache' file and deleted this, on restart it rebuilt and fixed the problem - simple but effective!. Thanks for your help.

Ask a Question