CD and Floppy Drive Icons on Desktop No Longer Work

  • Start date Start date

Ronald Gumm

All-

I would appreciate any available help. Recently the shortcuts I put to my two CD drives and my floppy drive have quit working. When I click on the icon on my desktop to open the drive I get the following error message "The item that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved so this shortcut will no longer work properly". However, when I go to My Computer the drive opens just fine and also the shortcut for my hard drive on the desktop still functions.
How do I get the shortcuts on my desktop for my CD and Floppy drives to work again? I have al;ready tried creating new ones and they won't work either.

Thank You-

-Alan

All-

I would appreciate any available help. Recently the shortcuts I put to
my two CD drives and my floppy drive have quit working. When I click on the
icon on my desktop to open the drive I get the following error message "The
item that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved so this shortcut
will no longer work properly". However, when I go to My Computer the drive
opens just fine and also the shortcut for my hard drive on the desktop still
functions.
How do I get the shortcuts on my desktop for my CD and Floppy drives to
work again? I have al;ready tried creating new ones and they won't work
either.

Thank You-

-Alan

1. Etiquette requires that you only post to this newsgroup in plain text.
Just look at the number of posts and therefore data for download.
Go to Tools, Options, Send Tab and Select PlainText for
"News Sending Format"

2. Delete the icons from your desktop. Then if you right click on the
CD drive and select "create shortcut" A window will appear saying
you can not create a shortcut here would you like to place it on the
desktop. Select yes. Repeat these instructions for the other drive
The same instructions apply for creating file/folder etc shortcuts.

Greetings

All-

Already tried this fix as well as the rebuild icons option on Tweak UI.
No matter how I put the shortcut icons on the desktop (drag & drop, create
shortcut, or copy & paste as shortcut) the problem occurs. The drive
functions (can be accessed via "My Computer"), just not the shortcuts. They
used to work fine and I am trying to avoid reformatting the hard drive to
solve the issue.

-Alan

Ronald Gumm said:
All-

Already tried this fix as well as the rebuild icons option on Tweak UI.
No matter how I put the shortcut icons on the desktop (drag & drop, create
shortcut, or copy & paste as shortcut) the problem occurs. The drive
functions (can be accessed via "My Computer"), just not the shortcuts. They
used to work fine and I am trying to avoid reformatting the hard drive to
solve the issue.

-Alan

Hello again.

Another thought. Has this machine been networked on the uni network. Have
the drives been excluded
from desktop access. Check properties of each drive.

Uninstall update 821557. MS is working on a fix. I first reported the problem on 7-17-03.

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff
All-

I would appreciate any available help. Recently the shortcuts I put to my two CD drives and my floppy drive have quit working. When I click on the icon on my desktop to open the drive I get the following error message "The item that this shortcut refers to has been changed or moved so this shortcut will no longer work properly". However, when I go to My Computer the drive opens just fine and also the shortcut for my hard drive on the desktop still functions.
How do I get the shortcuts on my desktop for my CD and Floppy drives to work again? I have al;ready tried creating new ones and they won't work either.

Thank You-

-Alan

Jeff-

That sounds like that is the problem. How do I uninstall only that
particular update?

-Alan

"mrtee" <hingelickeratnew.rr.com> wrote in message
Uninstall update 821557. MS is working on a fix. I first reported the
problem on 7-17-03.

I appreciate your further assistance. There is no option or reference
to excluding desktop access on any of the drive properties.

-Alan

And for people who were tried of the long list of hotfixes in Add/remove and
removed them from there (script on kellys-korner)????
How do we get rid of 821557 ?

--
Most learned here on nntp://news.mircosoft.com
Helsinki, Finland (remove _SPAM)

"mrtee" <hingelickeratnew.rr.com> kirjoitti viestissä
and click remove.

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff
| Jeff-
|
| That sounds like that is the problem. How do I uninstall only that
| particular update?
|
| -Alan

You removed them? Silly you.

--
Just my 2¢ worth,
Jeff
| And for people who were tried of the long list of hotfixes in Add/remove and
| removed them from there (script on kellys-korner)????
| How do we get rid of 821557 ?
|

| --
| Most learned here on nntp://news.mircosoft.com
| Helsinki, Finland (remove _SPAM)

Back
Top