Can't view .PDF files in IE6

  • Start date Start date

shapeshifter

On windows xp pro sp2 with ie6 installed i am not able to view pdf files
from a website--i get an empty browser window with a small icon in the top
left corner when i attempt to do so. ive checked a variety of settings
including pop-ups, security stuff etc but am unable to determine why i cant
download and view the pdfs. pdfs view normally if they're resident on the
machine and I am able to view them using firefox. any ideas?

The Reader is installed, as I noted below, PDFs are viewable when I access
them from the local disk or from Firefox browser. Any other ideas?

Jerry said:
You must have the Adobe Acrobat Reader insatlled to view .PDF

Go to www.adobe.com and download the reader.

Is the Adobe add-on enabled? (check the Manage Add-ons dialog) Some users
reported that reverting back to Adobe Acrobat Reader v.5 resolves the
problem.

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

Jerry said:
You must have the Adobe Acrobat Reader insatlled to view .PDF

Go to www.adobe.com and download the reader.

thanks ramesh. however when i look at 'manage add-ons' i see that the
"AcroIEHlprObjClass" is enabled. I suppose that's what you mean? I have no
other add-ons from adobe installed. BTw, viewing pdfs works fine in Firefox.

ss

Ramesh said:
Is the Adobe add-on enabled? (check the Manage Add-ons dialog) Some users
reported that reverting back to Adobe Acrobat Reader v.5 resolves the
problem.

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

The Reader is installed, as I noted below, PDFs are viewable when I access
them from the local disk or from Firefox browser. Any other ideas?

ss,

I believe there should also be an ActiveX control for Adobe - "Adobe Acrobat
Control for ActiveX" with CLSID {CA8A9780-280D-11CF-A24D-444553540000} and
filename pdf.ocx.

The file pdf.ocx resides in
%Programfiles%\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX

Click Start, Run and type this command
regsvr32 %Programfiles%\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\pdf.ocx

If that does not help, update the version to 6.1 via Help menu.

Another possibility:
PDF file doesn't open in Web browser (Acrobat 6.0)
http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/329344.html

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

thanks ramesh. however when i look at 'manage add-ons' i see that the
"AcroIEHlprObjClass" is enabled. I suppose that's what you mean? I have no
other add-ons from adobe installed. BTw, viewing pdfs works fine in Firefox.

ss

Thanks, but Acrobat Reader is already installed. BTW, I can easily read PDFs
if I go to the same web sites using Firefox. More suggestions?

Jerry said:
You must have the Adobe Acrobat Reader insatlled to view .PDF

Go to www.adobe.com and download the reader.

Thanks PA Bear. However, there's nothing at the adobe support site which
specifically helps me correct the problem.i tried turning off the pop-up
blocker but to no avail. im still not able to access the PDFs thru IE. I'm
sure its some security setting--I just dont know which.

ss

And post the contents of this registry key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type\application/pdf

--
[...]

PRB: Three GET Requests Are Sent

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;293792
This might be the reason

Ramesh [MVP] said:
And post the contents of this registry key:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\MIME\Database\Content Type\application/pdf

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

"Ramesh [MVP]" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
ss,

I believe there should also be an ActiveX control for Adobe - "Adobe Acrobat
Control for ActiveX" with CLSID {CA8A9780-280D-11CF-A24D-444553540000} and
filename pdf.ocx.

The file pdf.ocx resides in
%Programfiles%\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX

Click Start, Run and type this command
regsvr32 %Programfiles%\Adobe\Acrobat 5.0\Reader\ActiveX\pdf.ocx

If that does not help, update the version to 6.1 via Help menu.

Another possibility:
PDF file doesn't open in Web browser (Acrobat 6.0)
http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/329344.html

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

"shapeshifter" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
thanks ramesh. however when i look at 'manage add-ons' i see that the
"AcroIEHlprObjClass" is enabled. I suppose that's what you mean? I have no
other add-ons from adobe installed. BTw, viewing pdfs works fine in Firefox.

ss

"Ramesh [MVP]" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Is the Adobe add-on enabled? (check the Manage Add-ons dialog) Some users
> reported that reverting back to Adobe Acrobat Reader v.5 resolves the
> problem.
>
> --
> Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k