Can't Turn On PC to Normal Windows Screen

Hi, there,

My PC (Windows XP Professional, P4) has been on many days. Today I shut it
down for a few minutes and tried to turn it on, the screen shows: "Press DEL
to run Setup. Press TAB to display BIOS POST message. " Then there is a beep
every few seconds. I tried to use SAFE mode, normal mode, etc., but they did
not show up, and the same message came up.

Could anyone help me up? I just want to go to the normal Windows screen to
run the pc.

Thanks in advance.
Ron

Rick Rogers

Hi,

There is an issue with the system BIOS. It may simply be a dead battery, but
if you are not able to bypass this screen, it could be a dead cmos chip. A
dedad battery will cause the BIOS settings prompt to appear as it resets
each time you power down, but you should be able to enter and exit it and
then boot normally.

You might also try shutting down for 20-30 minutes and unplugging the
system. If it boots ok afterwards, then you have a component that has failed
or is failing due to probable overheating.

--
Best of Luck,

Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Can't Turn On PC to Normal" <Can't Turn On PC to
news:D[email protected]...

Rob Giordano \(Crash\)

also...you should try pressing TAB to see what the BIOS POST message
reads...that may help too.

"Can't Turn On PC to Normal" <Can't Turn On PC to
| Hi, there,
|
| My PC (Windows XP Professional, P4) has been on many days. Today I shut it
| down for a few minutes and tried to turn it on, the screen shows: "Press
DEL
| to run Setup. Press TAB to display BIOS POST message. " Then there is a
beep
| every few seconds. I tried to use SAFE mode, normal mode, etc., but they
did
| not show up, and the same message came up.
|
| Could anyone help me up? I just want to go to the normal Windows screen to
| run the pc.
|
| Thanks in advance.
| Ron

Sharon F

Press TAB to display BIOS POST message. " Then there is a beep
every few seconds.

Are the beeps different than what you hear when the system booted normally?
If yes, there is a system problem such as an improper configuration setting
or hardware fault.

The pattern of repeated beeps is a method of communicating an error on the
base system. Windows is not a factor at this point of startup. There are
reference tables that explain the meanings of the various beep codes. They
can be found in system documentation (online or hard copy). Note: Codes
vary so be sure to find the reference for *your* system's BIOS/CMOS. A
search on google for 'beep codes' will help to locate the online reference
sites.

The POST message will give more info on why the system is not booting
normally. It may duplicate the beep code meaning or it may mention an
additional concern.

If there is irrepaceable data on the system hard drive, rescue it and then
start resolving the errors indicated by the beep codes and POST message.
Test system (try a normal startup). If satisfactory results are achieved,
finally, deal with any remaining operating system or application problems.