can't remove link

  • Start date Start date

Hello all,

I have a client who has done a pretty good job botching up his computer by
surfing websites containing "questionable material"...oh, you know what I
mean...

The problem is, he has one rather embarrasing link that I am unable to find
and delete. The link seems to appear out of nowhere. It is not in his
favorites folder, not located on the desktop, not anywhere obvious. I have
run several searches but have had no luck.

Could this link be a hidden file? I have enabled the computer to show
hidden files... Is it some type of spyware, adware, parasite? I don't get
it. I ran AdAware and SpyBot and neither have found anything.

The link can only be seen when auto complete is turned on and you type a
partial match in the address bar of IE 6. Now I have turned auto complete
off temporarily, but that is not a fix.

Can anyone help me solve the mystery?

Thanks,
Soda

sodajunkie said:
[...]

I have just searched the registry for a familiar link and it showed up
promptly, much to my surprise.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

Thanks for your response Emrys... I too have searched the registry but have
not found what I'm looking for...

Any other suggestions about where to search?

Hi,
This URL is probably in the index.dat file in the History folder.
Free History Eraser from
http://smartprotector.com/eraser/free-history-eraser.htm will delete the
History folder (and the index.dat file) and a new one will be created when
you restart.
Or the History folder can be deleted manually:
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/delcache.htm

I believe that CCleaner (freeware) from http://www.ccleaner.com/ can also
clear out index.dat files.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"sodajunkie" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

Don,

THANKS!!!! SmartProtector did the trick! The address, as you said, was most
likely in the index.dat file.

Thanks again for all the help!
Soda

Don Varnau said:
[...]