Can't purge autocomplete passwords.

Arthur Liebscher

I'm running IE6 with the most recent updates (as of late November) under
WinXP SP1. I'm on my own laptop, in my "user" account. Lately, when I try to
purge saved passwords, the IE has simply hung itself up, showing the
hourglass cursor.

My administrator account doesn't have the problem. Changing the category of
the user account doesn't solve anything.

I'm guess something is corrupted. That would mean I'll have to delete the
password cache manually, either by locating a system file or doing a little
surgery on the registry. In any case, I'd be grateful for guidance.

Thanks.

art in boston

DVarnau

Art,
The only solution I've ever seen posted for this problem is to export (just
in case) then delete this registry key
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\IntelliForms\SPW]

Regards,
Don

aliebscher

Thanks, Don. I'll give it a try.

--
Newsgroup replies preferred, but e-mail address is...
don_04[at]varnau[dot]org

.

Okay! This had the effect of purging the stored
passwords. Because IE still stops responding when told to
clear passwords, the problem seems to lie elsewhere. But,
at least I have a way to periodically clean-out the
passwords. Thanks.

.

DVarnau

Art,
This is a guess, but autocomplete depends on logins and identities. You
might try to create a new identity.

Deleting the SPW key is the ONLY solution I've ever run across for this
freeze problem.

Don
--