Can't ping an XP box

  • Start date Start date

I have a home network with a W2K server and three XP Pro clients. From box A I can ping all devices, but no other devices can ping box A. It does run ZoneAlarm and Symantec AV, but the problem persists even with these two services shut down. It does not run XP's firewall. All other networking works fine, including DDNS, DHCP, email and web browsing. I just can't ping the rotten thing, either by name or address.

As a test, uninstall ZoneAlarm because sometimes disabling it still won't
fully allow traffic like pings.

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Win9x] (e-mail address removed)

OneIron said:
I have a home network with a W2K server and three XP Pro clients. From box
A I can ping all devices, but no other devices can ping box A. It does run
ZoneAlarm and Symantec AV, but the problem persists even with these two
services shut down. It does not run XP's firewall. All other networking
works fine, including DDNS, DHCP, email and web browsing. I just can't ping
the rotten thing, either by name or address.

Good suggestion, Richard, but did not work. It must be
something simple, but it's got me buggered. All it can be
is some kind of packet filtering, but there just isn't
any that I can see.
As a test, uninstall ZoneAlarm because sometimes disabling it still won't
fully allow traffic like pings.

--
Richard G. Harper [MVP Win9x] (e-mail address removed)

(e-mail address removed)...

.

Back
Top