Can't open link

  • Start date Start date

When I click on a link in a webpage, I get an error message that *the page
cannot be displayed* and *cannot find server or DNS error* but if I type the
address in the address box, the page opens.

Would appreciate it if someone could give me some advice.

Hi there,

Open Windows Explorer and click on Tools | Folder Options | File Types, then
scroll down to URL:Hypertext Transfer Protocol. Click Advanced or Edit,
whatever the choice is there. You want to Edit the Open action for this file
type. The values should read as follows:

application:
"C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe" -nohome
(edit the path to your installation of IE as necessary)

DDE:
#1: "%1",,-1,0,,,,
#2: IExplore
#3: <blank>
#4: WWW_OpenURL

Also see the following MS Knowledge Base article:

You Cannot Open New Internet Explorer Window or Nothing Happens After You
Click a Link
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;281679

Margaret,
I followed your suggestion and found the path to be as follows:

"C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\iexplore.exe" -nohome

Should I edit it to read *C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"
-nohome*?

Venezia

Hi, Margaret..

I found the path and edited the Open Action....Still have the problem...
Venezia

1. You click on a link and an IE window doesn't even open:

http://www.oehelp.com/ielnk.aspx (disregard the references to OE)

2. You click on a link and an IE window opens but it doesn't load:

You Cannot Open New Internet Explorer Window or Nothing Happens After You
Click on a Link
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=281679
(re-register all of the DLLs listed in this KB article)

Installing the latest Cumulative Patch for IE (MS05-025/883939) may solve
the problem as a side-effect. Check in at Windows Update.

PA Bear,

1. I re-registered all of the Dlls listed in the article and also two
others-- scrrun.dll and msmxl.dll.

Msmxl.dll failed. The message was *load library ("msmxl.dll") failed.
GetLastError returns 0x00000485*.

2. (As a side note, I've just discovered that the problem seems to occur
when I click on a sponsored link on a web page and the address contains
*www.googleadservices.com*)

3. 883939 is already installed.

Venezia

Hi,
You don't mention your Windows version, so check for a hosts file (justs
"hosts" not hosts.sam or lmhosts) in these locations:
Windows XP... C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC
Windows 2K... C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC
Win 98\ME... C:\WINDOWS
You may have to enable the viewing of hidden files.
Are you running the hosts file from http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm or
using the Immunize> "Enable permanent blocking of bad addresses" feature of
Spybot? You can edit the hosts file or rename it to disable it.

Or... Is another security/privacy/ad-blocking program blocking these sites?

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"venezia" wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

Hi, Don,

I' using ME and found a hosts file....Should I edit the hosts file or rename
it to disable it? What effect would this have? Should I download a Host
file from mvps.org?

Also using *Immunize> "Enable permanent blocking of bad addresses" feature
of Spybot*

I have *Pop-Up Stopper* installed and don't know of any other ad-blocking
program. My firewall is Outpost.

Thanks for your help.....Venezia

"venezia" wrote in message
2. (As a side note, I've just discovered that the problem seems to occur
when I click on a sponsored link on a web page and the address contains
*www.googleadservices.com*)

Rename your HOSTS file to OLDHOSTS and see if the problem persists.

Panicware's freeware, including Pop-up Stopper, are serious troublemakers.
Uninstall all Panicware applications, reboot and see if the problem
persists.

Your Spybot settings should not be causing the problem.
--
~PA Bear

"venezia" wrote in message
2. (As a side note, I've just discovered that the problem seems to
occur when I click on a sponsored link on a web page and the address
contains *www.googleadservices.com*)

Hi,
Sorry for the delay. As PA Bear wrote, rename the HOSTS file and see if
those sites become available. No, you should not (necessarily) download the
HOSTS file from mvps.org. I asked about it because it blocks some google
related sites (sponsored links, ads, etc.)

The "Enable permanent blocking of bad addresses" feature of Spybot creates a
hosts file. I don't know if google related sites are in that file.

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"venezia" wrote in message

Bingo!! Renaming the hosts file did it!! Will a new hosts file be generated
by Spybot when I reboot?

Thank you (one and all) for your assistance.

Venezia

"venezia" wrote in message
2. (As a side note, I've just discovered that the problem seems to
occur when I click on a sponsored link on a web page and the address
contains *www.googleadservices.com*)

You'll know soon enough. <wink> (Honestly, I can't tell you as I don't use
Spybot's hosts file. I find it unwieldy to use, myself. I should think
that you'd have to re-enable Spybot's hosts file to recreate it.)

Spybot Support Forum
http://forums.net-integration.net/index.php?showforum=28

FYI: New Spybot definitions released 25 Jul-05. After installing, close &
re-open Spybot > Click on Immunize button then double-check that SDHelper
and/or TeaTimer are enabled, if desired. (SDHelper was *not*, here. YMMV.)
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (IE/OE) & Security

:

Hi,

"venezia" wrote in message
2. (As a side note, I've just discovered that the problem seems to
occur when I click on a sponsored link on a web page and the
address contains *www.googleadservices.com*)

PA Bear....
Everything seems to be working fine now.....Do you have a recommendation on
a replacement for Pop-Up Stopper for ad-blocking?......Thank you!
Venezia

:

Hi,

"venezia" wrote in message
2. (As a side note, I've just discovered that the problem seems to
occur when I click on a sponsored link on a web page and the
address contains *www.googleadservices.com*)

YW.

You might look into Google Toolbar. I don't use it (nor am I running WinME)
but others like its pop-up blocking capabilities.