Can't open form in Design View; can't rename or delete it

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date
G

I've just been handed an Access 2000 database and asked to fix some problems in it. One problem is that the application hangs when the user tries to open a particular form. For the purposes of this discussion, we'll call the form frm_myform

When I try to open frm_myform in Design View, nothing visible happens--the form doesn't appear. However, if I then try to exit Access, Access asks if I want to save changes to the form--even though I never had it open. That leads me to think that Access is getting the form at least partially open, but then some problem must be happening

I have a previous version of the database in which the form works just fine--I can see it in Design View just fine. So I tried importing frm_myform from the good version of the database into the bad version. That created a new form, named frm_myform1. However, when I tried to rename (or delete) the original (bad) frm_myform so I could put the new form in its place, Access said "You canceled the previous operation" several times, and wouldn't let me rename or delete the form

When I tried changing the code that opens frm_myform to make it open frm_myform1 instead, I couldn't save the changes--Access kept giving me the same "You canceled the previous operation" message

I tried Compacting/Repairing the database containing the bad form, but that didn't change the way anything behaved

Any idea what's going on with the form? It seems to have gotten corrupted somehow, but I don't know how, and I don't know how to un-corrupt it. I'd be really happy if I could just delete it and import a "good" version of the form from another database.

Thank you

Jer

You might try creating a new DB then import all the
objects to the new one except the bad form. Then import
the bad form from the other version.

Hope this helps.

Byron
-----Original Message-----
I've just been handed an Access 2000 database and asked
to fix some problems in it. One problem is that the
application hangs when the user tries to open a
particular form. For the purposes of this discussion,
we'll call the form frm_myform.
When I try to open frm_myform in Design View, nothing
visible happens--the form doesn't appear. However, if I
then try to exit Access, Access asks if I want to save
changes to the form--even though I never had it open.
That leads me to think that Access is getting the form at
least partially open, but then some problem must be
happening.
I have a previous version of the database in which the
form works just fine--I can see it in Design View just
fine. So I tried importing frm_myform from the good
version of the database into the bad version. That
created a new form, named frm_myform1. However, when I
tried to rename (or delete) the original (bad) frm_myform
so I could put the new form in its place, Access
said "You canceled the previous operation" several times,
and wouldn't let me rename or delete the form.
When I tried changing the code that opens frm_myform to
make it open frm_myform1 instead, I couldn't save the
changes--Access kept giving me the same "You canceled the
previous operation" message.
I tried Compacting/Repairing the database containing the
bad form, but that didn't change the way anything behaved.
Any idea what's going on with the form? It seems to have
gotten corrupted somehow, but I don't know how, and I
don't know how to un-corrupt it. I'd be really happy if I
could just delete it and import a "good" version of the
form from another database.

Byron

Thanks for your reply! I'm working on importing everything now. Fortunately, I have a version of the database in which the form in question isn't corrupt, so I can import the tables/data/relationships from the "bad" database, and then import everything else from the "good" database

I suspect there are a few things I have to do in addition to the imports--can you please confirm

* Make sure the new database's Startup properties are set right

* Recompile the VB modules

Is there anything else you can think of

Also, I saw a message somewhere out there on the web that suggested that one way to prevent this problem (whatever it is) from recurring is to use the Database Splitter utility to create separate data (MDB) and application (MDE) files. Do you know whether that's necessary? (The application, which is used by two or three users at the same time, isn't currently set up this way, and the original developer of the application isn't available for me to ask why not.

Thanks for your help

Jer

Back