Can't login - Page file keeps swithing harddisks

Glenn - Audio&Media Europe nv

I often have to attach different harddisks to the pc's at work, all running
win2k.
Usually this works just fine, but sometimes the pc won't boot windows - it
displays the login screen (we have Active Directory), lets me input the
password, and then gives the login screen again.

When disconnecting the freshly installed harddisk, the pc states "no page
file or page file too small. steps to increase/make page file: ......"
But how can I create / increase the page file, if I can't even boot into
windows....

And, how can I force windows to let the pagefile stay where it was in the
1st place. Why the heck does it switch anyway....

Glenn - Audio&Media Europe nv

Attached a HD with pagefile created on another w2k system to the system, now
it doesn't display the message any more - still the login problem though.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Glenn

Pegasus \(MVP\)

See below.

Glenn - Audio&Media Europe nv said:
I often have to attach different harddisks to the pc's at work, all running
win2k.
Usually this works just fine, but sometimes the pc won't boot windows - it
displays the login screen (we have Active Directory), lets me input the
password, and then gives the login screen again.

When disconnecting the freshly installed harddisk, the pc states "no page
file or page file too small. steps to increase/make page file: ......"
But how can I create / increase the page file, if I can't even boot into
windows....

Simple: Put the disconnected disk back in again.

And, how can I force windows to let the pagefile stay where it was in the
1st place. Why the heck does it switch anyway....

Have a look at your page file settings. They probably specify two
paging files, one on each drive.

dcdon

Here is a good question.
At least, I think so.

Since it helps speed setting up the Paging file an a
separate HDD, then would it be advantageous, or detrimental
to swap the Paging files locations in this case??

--
Happy Honica,
don

See below.

"Glenn - Audio&Media Europe nv" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
[...]

Pegasus \(MVP\)

You might see an improvement in speed. However, I would
take out my stopwatch and measure it, to avoid the defrag
trap (many people defrag their machines daily, with no
noticeable benefit).

dcdon

Seemed like a perfectly good assumption, since so many
people sear by putting their swap file onto another HDD.

But it's about like a BF,
seems good at the time..
That's what the man answered to the judge, who was guilty of
robbing a bank. He "thought it was the right thing to do at
the time".

:blush:)
don