Can't get rid of offline files sync

  • Start date Start date

Hi -

I am sure this isn't the first time this problem has been discussed, but I
have been putting up with it for a few years now and would like to solve it:

On an XP, SP2 machine (or any version of XP) a user chooses to make a folder
on a server available offline. Once they make that choice, they had better
plan on keeping it synchronized forever, because you just can't get reverse
that it seems. Although you can go to the Synchronization Properties and
uncheck the box for synchronizing a particular item, it has absolutely no
effect; the item still atttempts to be synchronized. In fact, when you go
back to look at the Sync Properties, that very box will be checked again.

The only way to prevent the sync attempt is for an Admin to disallow Offline
Files altogether. However, if Offline Files is allowed again for the
computer, those same files that you didn't want synchronized will again be
checked off in the Sync settings.

Can someone explain why this happens and what I might do in the Registry (or
someplace) to fix this.

I want to give the users the ability to make files available offline, but I
don't want them putting up with remnants of their (or other users') offline
files that are no longer needed.

I realize that User A is always going to see the sync attempt for User B's
files, but that I can tolerate. It just seems like you should at least be
able to turn it off when it's no longer needed by anyone.

Thanks.

Hello,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

Based on your situation, we can use a tool called Csccmd.exe with /CHECKDB
[/QUICK] switch to display any database error flags. Here are the steps:

1. Download the Csccmd.exe file:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9D467A69-57FF-4AE7-
96EE-B18C4790CFFD&displaylang=en

Note: Csccmd.exe that comes with Windows Server 2003 Resource Kit tools can
help us to re-point to the offline folder to the new server. This tool can
run on the Windows XP and Windows 2000 clients.

2. It is a command-line tool and you can run this:
csccmd /CHECKDB [/QUICK]

Note: If you use this switch with the /QUICK option, the CSCCMD tool skips
the enumeration, and just displays the database errors.

For more information about features and functions of CSCCMD version 1.1,
please refer to the following article:
884739: Features and functions in version 1.1 of the Client-Side Caching
Command-Line Options command-line tool
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;884739

As far as I know, the Offline Files cache is a folder structure located in
the %SystemRoot%\CSC folder, which is hidden by default. If the problem
still occurs, you may refer to the following article to reset the Offline
Files Cache:

230738: How to Restart the Offline Files Cache/Database
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;230738

Hope that helps!

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxpZQ==?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: Can't get rid of offline files sync
| Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 18:14:00 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage
|
| Hi -
|
| I am sure this isn't the first time this problem has been discussed, but
| have been putting up with it for a few years now and would like to solve
it:

| On an XP, SP2 machine (or any version of XP) a user chooses to make a
folder
| on a server available offline. Once they make that choice, they had
better
| plan on keeping it synchronized forever, because you just can't get
reverse
| that it seems. Although you can go to the Synchronization Properties and
| uncheck the box for synchronizing a particular item, it has absolutely no
| effect; the item still atttempts to be synchronized. In fact, when you
go
| back to look at the Sync Properties, that very box will be checked again.
|
| The only way to prevent the sync attempt is for an Admin to disallow
Offline
| Files altogether. However, if Offline Files is allowed again for the
| computer, those same files that you didn't want synchronized will again
be
| checked off in the Sync settings.
|
| Can someone explain why this happens and what I might do in the Registry
(or
| someplace) to fix this.
|
| I want to give the users the ability to make files available offline, but
| don't want them putting up with remnants of their (or other users')
offline
| files that are no longer needed.
|
| I realize that User A is always going to see the sync attempt for User
B's
| files, but that I can tolerate. It just seems like you should at least
be
| able to turn it off when it's no longer needed by anyone.
|
| Thanks.

Thanks for the quick response.
It looks like that information may be helpful.
I'll let you know how it works out when I can get to it.

"Ken Zhao [MSFT]" said:
> [...]

| Files altogether. However, if Offline Files is allowed again for the
| computer, those same files that you didn't want synchronized will again
be
| checked off in the Sync settings.
|
| Can someone explain why this happens and what I might do in the Registry
(or
| someplace) to fix this.
|
| I want to give the users the ability to make files available offline, but
| don't want them putting up with remnants of their (or other users')
offline
| files that are no longer needed.
|
| I realize that User A is always going to see the sync attempt for User
B's
| files, but that I can tolerate. It just seems like you should at least
be
| able to turn it off when it's no longer needed by anyone.

Hello ,

Thank you for your response and I hope that helps.

> [...]

| > Files Cache:
| >
| > 230738: How to Restart the Offline Files Cache/Database
| > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;230738
| >
| > Hope that helps!
| >
| > Thanks & Regards,
| >
| > Ken Zhao
| >
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support
| >
| > =====================================================
| > When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader
so
| > =====================================================
rights.

| > --------------------
| > | From: =?Utf-8?B?Q2hhcmxpZQ==?= <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Can't get rid of offline files sync
| > | Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 18:14:00 -0800
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage
| > | have been putting up with it for a few years now and would like to
| > |
| > | On an XP, SP2 machine (or any version of XP) a user chooses to make a
| > folder
| > | on a server available offline. Once they make that choice, they had
| > better
| > | plan on keeping it synchronized forever, because you just can't get
| > reverse
| > | that it seems. Although you can go to the Synchronization Properties
and
| > | uncheck the box for synchronizing a particular item, it has
absolutely no
| > | effect; the item still atttempts to be synchronized. In fact, when
you
| > go
| > | back to look at the Sync Properties, that very box will be checked
again.
| > |
| > | The only way to prevent the sync attempt is for an Admin to disallow
| > Offline
| > | Files altogether. However, if Offline Files is allowed again for the
| > | computer, those same files that you didn't want synchronized will
again
| > be
| > | checked off in the Sync settings.
| > |
| > | Can someone explain why this happens and what I might do in the
Registry
| > (or
| > | someplace) to fix this.
| > |
| > | I want to give the users the ability to make files available offline,
but
| > | don't want them putting up with remnants of their (or other users')
| > offline
| > | files that are no longer needed.
| > |
| > | I realize that User A is always going to see the sync attempt for
User
| > B's
| > | files, but that I can tolerate. It just seems like you should at
least
| > be
| > | able to turn it off when it's no longer needed by anyone.
| > |
| > | Thanks.
| > |

Back