Can't get my pop up windows (Not ads) to appear

  • Start date Start date

Sindi

I am having trouble with my windows not popping up on
sites which I need them to. I called my one software mfg
where I need to access their info for my business and they
tell me that I must have a pop up blocker enabled. I
disable it every time I want to use their site. So they
tell me I must have service pack 2 installed but I doubt
that. I have checked on the windows update and it shows
only service pack 1. Should I remove service pack 1? It
just plays these 2 annoying notes and then nothing
happens. In order to get this windows open to post
this question it happened again and I have to hold down
the control key in order to allow the window to appear.
My computer is Windows 98SE and IE6.0.
I would like to know how to fix this as it is driving me
completely nuts. It just recently started this and I had
no problems before even when I had my pop up blocker free
surfer enabled.

Sindi said:
[...]
Go to Add/Remove Programs and go down the list and highlight your IE-6.
Click to Remove it and a pop-up will appear giving you an option to repair
it.

Sindi -

First, I would *not* attempt (nor even consider) trying to remove SP-1.
Leave it be.

There isn't any availability of SP2 for W98SE, so that stuff from whoever
told you that is a bunch of hooey. As far as "two notes" goes, I don't know
what you mean, but SP-1 is a major and important Update for IE6 and I don't
know about any "notes" (musical?). This may just be control
panel>sounds>windows explorer section>start navigation/ end navigation wav
files which are selected. You can always disable or change them in the
location I just laid out for you.

You presently haven't any pop-up blocker you say? Or am I misunderstanding
you? With many pop-up blockers it *is* customary to require a ctrl-click to
have a pop-up window appear. Not all; but most, and particularly for
non-sophisticated ones. FYI: The Google Toolbar Pop-Up Blocker is a fairly
decent one (very good for free), but is far from perfect as well.

It still seems to me that you have some pop-up blocker installed - and
perhaps a really crummy one (?) -somewhere for the behavior of the windows
as you described.
--

LuckyStrike
(e-mail address removed)

How to make a good newsgroup post:
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

I have already done that to no avail. WHen I clicked on
the button to reply to your message it happens and I have
to press the Ctl key.

I have tried what you suggested. In fact, I checked out
all the sounds for anything that I had selected one for
and not one of them sounds like the one I am getting. For
Navigation there are no sounds selected.
I do have a pop up blocker Free Surfer which I have had
forever and never a problem. Even when I have it disabled
I am getting this problem. In fact, I always had it
enabled previously without this problem.

I hate to give up in defeat Sindi, but I am tapped... :-( I do not know the
characteristics of free surer; admittedly, I've never even heard of it. BUT,
perhaps you could try un-installing it altogether just to see what results.
Perhaps it has even become slightly corrupted? Maybe a re-install might do
the trick?

Unless I have a flash of inspiration (epiphany) I'm at a loss for any other
ideas right now. Sorry.

OH, BTW are you the Sindi who posted here some months ago (June/July) about
an IE / OFFICE Update problem? If so. I tried posting back but MS Newsgroup
had a "brain burp" and wouldn't permit it.

I am including my repost to you (??) here. If it wasn't you, then please be
so kind as to disregard it, and excuse my ignorance.It follows below:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sindi said:
I went to the place where it had the updates or whatever
for internet explorer 6. I chose to download several of
these. Now on my desktop there are little icons
representing these. Does this mean that the download
worked? Can I delete these from my desktop without doing
any harm to anything?

updates,etc thread Tuesday, July 06, 2004 4:22 PM
Sindi said:
This is what I have downloaded:
Some of these may be for OFfice 97 which is what I really
started out to do but decided to also update IE6.
I went to the site you referrered and the only IE6
upgrades were different languages which I do not need.
There was nothing here about Office 97 updates which I
need.
When I clicked to open the ones I did download it doesn't
work. A box appears that says "open with."
Will await for an answer and hopefully I will be able to
find this discussion again. This is a very difficult
forum to find your own posts again.
Thanks for your help.
+++++++++++++++++++++++

My re-posted reply to you (??)

My gosh! *All of that??!* This is of major proportions... where to begin????

One should only do so many updates at a time, so one will know what is being
installed. If there are problems which arise one can determine that which
was the most recent change to the machine. Doing all of these additions at
once will surely lead to problems. Confusion is one of them, and that has
already taken it's toll, as you don't know which were for IE and which were
for Office 97.

OK, first - I use Office XP (on a W98se machine). There is an update link
for Office right on my Outlook 2002 for instance. Doesn't your Office 97
offer this?

I would just stick all of those "updates" into some folder somewhere, and
start fresh by first accessing *Windows Updates* and let it do a scan of
your PC. Let *IT* select what you need. If nothing is presented, then
nothing is needed. It's as simple as that. That's the way it is.
http://v4.windowsupdate.microsoft.com/en/default.asp

Updates for Office products are to be found only at MS Office Updates. WU
(Windows Updates) never displays any updates for it's line of Office
products at that site.

Updates for Office 97 (Microsoft recommends that you use the Office Update
tool on this site to install updates.)
http://snipurl.com/7k6u
First, Right-Click and create a "shortcut to Desktop" for this page, so as
to have it handy.
These are sorted by release date. Try installing the *oldest* ones first,
and do one update at a time, and *re-boot* immediately after the update. If
something goes wrong, you'll know which item is responsible for it.

Office 97 updates
http://snipurl.com/7k6n

This is the current Office update site, but is unlikely to be of use for
Office 97
http://snipurl.com/41mr

About Office updates
http://snipurl.com/7k6f
Note: the Office Update site does not check for Office 97 updates.

Let's see what you get by the above means. Hope this helps. BTW, it is best
to post these sort of questions to the relevant newsgroup such as
microsoft.public.officeupdate
http://snipurl.com/7k7h
OR using Outlook Express this is the better link

Insofar as re-locating your posts in the newsgroups, use the *Search
button*, it now works as opposed to a while back it did nothing. Better
still, access these newsgroups by using Outlook Express as your newsreader.
I do, and it is miles above in every way, free, and will enable you to read,
post, reply, and search so much faster and easier. Here's how to do that.

WSC OE setup (quick method)
http://www.aumha.org/win5/support.php
http://aumha.org/nntp.php

These below are some bits of info on what one does if setup is to be
accomplished by a manual process. All are basically the same instructions,
but I've included them all for your benefit to see that regardless of which
set-up you have, the instructions are the same.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;182167
http://users.westelcom.com/rogersr/setupoe.htm
http://www.my-binaries.com/newsreaders-OutlookExpress-instructions.asp

Newsgroup Setup Instructions
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/smartdisplay/using/newsgroups/setup.mspx

About using OE as a newsreader
http://www.iup.edu/helpdesk/service/pc/software/outlookexp/usenet/newsfaq.shtm

http://www.microsoft.com/mom/community/setup.asp (forget that this says
Windows Server System; it's the same exact setup process for use on regular
PC setups)

Windows Me Newsgroups Setup Instructions
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsme/support/newsgroups/newssetup.asp
Windows XP setup for OE newsreader

There you have it. I hope this will help in some way.
--
LuckyStrike
LuckyStrike
(e-mail address removed)
The best Tweak and your ally for IE = **Disable Active Scripting**

How to make a good newsgroup post:
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

I also have this problem. Tried everything. Have no pop-up blocker on my
comp. When I refresh the site with the pop-up I want to view, I get one
little chime sound and a message at the lower left-hand corner that says a
pop up window was blocked. I need to get to this site!

Dear Jen,

I'm sorry Jen, but, please, please, please... Start your own thread. You'll
never find these which you "chime in" on. We go through taking the time to
answer these and the OP (original poster) never even returns. We posted
possible answers to these queries already, and if you *ARE HAVING THE SAME
PROBLEM* then try applying the answers in the respective thread to try to
resolve the problem.If you cannot see the answers already supplied, how can
you expect to see (or even expect) further redundant answers to that which
you ask?

It is now approaching 12 hours since the OP wrote, then an "anonymous at
ms.discussions" shows up, and we never know who the heck we're helping here,
or if the OP ever *really* returns. It is very frustrating to spend 15 - 25
minutes (or more sometimes) answering the same thing (this is for but one
question of countless which are posted. For 10 -15- 20, or more, which I or
someone might try helping with in a day) and never knowing if it helped or
who it was supposed to help, IF they were helped.
--

LuckyStrike
(e-mail address removed)
The best Tweak and your ally for IE = **Disable Active Scripting**

How to make a good newsgroup post:
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Back
Top