Can't Drag and Drop

  • Start date Start date

Brett Weiss

My drag and drop, in the start menu and to a program on the taskbar, has
died. I can't d&d anything in the start menu, and when I try to d&d to a
program in the taskbar, I get the "not allowed" icon.

I've gone into advanced start menu properties and made sure the d&d is
checked.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what could be causing this and how to
fix it? I'm running XP Pro, SP2.

Check the settings in Group Policy and the registry setting.,.

You can use the Group Policy editor (Gpedit.msc) under the following
location to configure Start menu features:
User Configuration \ Administrative Templates \ Start Menu and Taskbar

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
Policies\Explorer
The registry entries are DWORD values. A value of 1 is enabled, and a value
of 0 is disabled.

Policy: Disable drag-and-drop menus on the Start Menu
dropping items. Other methods of customizing the Start menu are still
enabled.
Registry Value: "NoChangeStartMenu"

Unable to right-click on the folders or shortcuts in the Start Menu
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/SMRightClick.htm

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In

Wes:

Thanks for the suggestion. Unfortunately, the Group Policy Editor shows that
this setting is disabled (which, as I read it, enables d&d [go figure]).
FWIW, right click works on the start menu. Also I still can't drag from
Explorer to a program in the taskbar. <sigh>

Any other suggestions?

You can't drag to the taskbar. Never have been, never will be.

http://www.uscricket.com

Wesley Vogel said:
[...]

Perhaps I was not precise in my wording.

I used to be able to drag a file or files from Windows Explorer to an icon
on the taskbar, hold the dragged files there, the program would pop up, I
would move the dragged files onto the program window, and release the mouse
button. The files would then be "dropped" into the program, which would open
them.

This is what I meant when I talked about dragging and dropping files onto
the taskbar. This is what I no longer can do.

--
Brett

Wesley Vogel said:
[...]

Can you drag a file over My Documents to move it. Can you drag a text file over a program file like notepad to open the text file.

http://www.uscricket.com

Wesley Vogel said:
[...]

In Brett Weiss <[email protected]> hunted and pecked:
My drag and drop, in the start menu and to a program on the taskbar,
has died. I can't d&d anything in the start menu, and when I try to
d&d to a program in the taskbar, I get the "not allowed" icon.

I've gone into advanced start menu properties and made sure the d&d is
checked.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what could be causing this and
how to fix it? I'm running XP Pro, SP2.

Can you drag a file over My Documents to move it.

Yes, this works.
Can you drag a text file over a program file like notepad
to open the text file.

This works as well.

--

Wesley Vogel said:
Check the settings in Group Policy and the registry setting.,.

You can use the Group Policy editor (Gpedit.msc) under the following
location to configure Start menu features:
User Configuration \ Administrative Templates \ Start Menu and Taskbar

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\
Policies\Explorer
The registry entries are DWORD values. A value of 1 is enabled, and a
value
of 0 is disabled.

Policy: Disable drag-and-drop menus on the Start Menu
and
dropping items. Other methods of customizing the Start menu are still
enabled.
Registry Value: "NoChangeStartMenu"

Unable to right-click on the folders or shortcuts in the Start Menu
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/SMRightClick.htm

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In Brett Weiss <[email protected]> hunted and pecked:
My drag and drop, in the start menu and to a program on the taskbar,
has died. I can't d&d anything in the start menu, and when I try to
d&d to a program in the taskbar, I get the "not allowed" icon.

I've gone into advanced start menu properties and made sure the d&d is
checked.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what could be causing this and
how to fix it? I'm running XP Pro, SP2.

Back
Top