Cannot Install 6

  • Start date Start date

I show that I have the correct setup files for Explorer 6 but when I try to
install the files, I get a message saying that the installation failed. I am
only running required programs while running the installation. ANY IDEAS?

I am running Windows ME and whatever version IE that comes with ME. I have
tried to install IE 6SP1 several different times over the past few months. I
have tried reinstalling ME a couple of times thinking that would correct the
probelm. After reinstalling ME and running the 6SP1, I get a message box
showing items that were not installed and Web Browser 6 is one of those items.

Don Varnau said:
Hi,
Which version of IE / Windows are you running?

There are a number of possible solutions at
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers.htm#error_install

Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

Grape Man65 said:
I show that I have the correct setup files for Explorer 6 but when I try to
install the files, I get a message saying that the installation failed. I am
only running required programs while running the installation. ANY IDEAS?

Have you tried installing IE6 via Windows Update?
--
WinME-specific newsgroup:

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-Windows (Shell, IE/OE) & Security, AH-VSOP

Inside Outlook Express
http://www.insideoe.com

Grape Man65 said:
I show that I have the correct setup files for Explorer 6 but when I
try to install the files, I get a message saying that the
installation failed. I am only running required programs while
running the installation. ANY IDEAS?

Hi,
This information from Zee has helped many a WinME user...
- - - -
If you're running WinME, try this:

Go to My Computer - Tools - Folder Options - View:
- Select "Show hidden files and folders", click Apply - OK

Create a folder named "Old uninstall".

Go to folder C:/Program Files/Internet Explorer/Uninstall Information.

Now Edit - Select All - Cut all files.

Open "Old uninstall" folder and paste the files.

You will now be able to install all the troublesome components.

If everything works as expected, you can delete the "Old Uninstall" folder
and the files you moved.

Good luck,
Zee
- - - - -

Plan "B"
Uninstalling and Reinstalling IE in ME (Noel Paton)
http://winnoel.users.btopenworld.com/ReInIE.htm
- - - - -
Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE/OE]

"Grape Man65" <Grape Man65[at]discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
I show that I have the correct setup files for Explorer 6 but when I
try
install the files, I get a message saying that the installation
failed. I
am
only running required programs while running the installation. ANY
IDEAS?

Hi Grape Man :-)

In addition to the information from PA Bear and Don, you may have better
luck installing the IE6 SP1 on ME from the hard drive. You can download the
install file from the link below. I had a similar problem trying to
install the IE6 SP1 on my ME. The folks on the NE group will also be a big
help in resolving your problem. :-)

Full IE6 77 MB package in one zipped file to install
http://public.planetmirror.com/pub/microsoft/ie/
and here
http://public.planetmirror.com/pub/microsoft/ie/6.0/

You can find additional information here as well:

How to download and install IE 6 SP1
methodshttp://www.broomeman.com/support/wsiedown.html

Hope this helps

Jan :)
Smiles are meant to be shared,
that's why they're so contagious.

Replies are posted only to the newsgroup for the benefit or other readers.
How to make a good newsgroup post:
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Grape Man65 said:
I show that I have the correct setup files for Explorer 6 but when I
try to
install the files, I get a message saying that the installation failed.
I am
only running required programs while running the installation. ANY
IDEAS?

Thanks Don, Zee's info did the trick. Gary

Don Varnau said:
Hi,
Which version of IE / Windows are you running?

There are a number of possible solutions at
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers.htm#error_install
"Grape Man65" <Grape Man65[at]discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
I show that I have the correct setup files for Explorer 6 but when I try
install the files, I get a message saying that the installation failed. I
am
only running required programs while running the installation. ANY
IDEAS?

Back
Top