Cannot delete old directories after failed WinXP SP2

  • Start date Start date

Howdy!

I have a computer that failed on the SP2 upgrade (4 of 5 computers in the
office successful). For various reasons, installed a new larger hard drive,
reinstalled XP, Office, other applications, etc.; everything is fine.

The original hard drive I have set up as a slave in the same machine. I am
able to access my various documents and files. I am going to use this slave
drive as a network share and I am in the process of deleted the old Program
Files, the old Windows Directory, etc. to free up space.

However, two of the directories I get an ACCESS DENIED error while trying to
view or delete. I believe the directories were created as temp directories
during the failed SP2 install.

Directory Names:
D:\ 4e0c9325ea2f30b2dd399c07457667
D:\ d036f9f9c2349d8fd5

I even tried booting from the WinXP CD to the recovery console and attempted
to delete the directories from the command line; same error.

Is there an attribute or something I am missing on the directories?

Any help much appreciated

Thanks!

Brian the ski bum

PS - FYI, I did following the steps using the recovery console to 'rollback'
the windows XP SP2 install and it also failed.

Yes, switch back to simple file sharing.

Nepatsfan
"Brian the ski bum" <Brian the ski (e-mail address removed)>
wrote in message

Back
Top