can not record video only sound

  • Start date Start date

OK, I am new at this. I have a Dell Inspiron 8600 lap top that is only 2 months old. It came with XP and movie maker (1.0 I think) It also came with a S cabel/RCA adapter. I watched the tutorial and it said I can copy analog video from my camcorder. When I "record" from my camcorder into my computer it only records the sound (no video) I also noticed it is not recognising a video device. So I guess my question is do I need other hardware or can I just plug my analog camcorder into the S cable jack on the back of my computer? That is what I am trying but no luck.
(P.S. The dell support line had me on hold for a hour then the line hung up on me. I called back and was told the computer is over 30 days old so they will not offer support.)

Hi Mike,

Oh Dell, sorry Dear :)

Is your camera a DV or Analogue machine.

The adapter you mention. Is that a plug? and what does it plug into at
each end...yes I know that's sounds daft, what I am after is finding out if
the camera plugs into an external device which then plugs into the computer,
or, is there a card installed in your machine specifically for the capture
of Video/Audio signals.

Best Wishes.....John Kelly

Thanks for responding John
I am using a analog camcorder, I just figured out that my adapter is a S cable to RCA adapter that plugs into my laptop is a "output". I do have a firewire port and a USB port on my computer. I was reading papajohn.org and I think I need either a Analog capture device or a analog to digital PCI card. (I do not think I can use a PCI card because I have a laptop
If I am correct..what type of device would you recomend. Do I just need a RCA/firewire adapter or is it a actual box with software. Forgive my ignorance.....

Hello there,

As you are using an analogue camcorder you will probably have an S-VHS output
socket on the camer, if not it will be a standard Video Out socket. The
manual will tell you which.

As you rightly say, you then need a suitable device to plug into the
computer...do not go down the road of trying to use a USB device. Such a
device will convert the signal into digital (that's fine) but then it will
send it to the computer at a snails pace....the only way you will get a
quality picture is to create one that is quite small . Simply the data rate
of even the fastest USB connection is many times slower than a fire wire or
PCI connection

So, it sounds as though you want a PCI card (if you have space for one)

Firewire is a unique standard and as far as I know there are no adapters to
convert from one to the other. If you think on that, why would you want
to...just convert it once to the ultimate standard required. So once again we
are looking at PCI (in your circumstances)

I have no experience of which card might be the best other than in the very
old days I bought a then very expensive Creative Labs capture card (ISA) a
something 3000. for collection of video from My Big Panasonic MV1...the
quality of the capture was awful .... tried to get money back...no go (£320)

My best advice I suppose is go buy a few magazines that deal with
this...theres one in the UK called Digital Video that still cover these
subjects from time to time. Whatever you do, don't take the sales man's
advice without checking in such a Mag. Here's why...I wanted my first DVD
writer, so I went to my nearest large computer store and got a huge shock
when I queried a big difference in the cost of two drives...the answer
was...that drive spins clockwise and this one is the new sort that spins
anti-clockwise...the actual explanation when I went and spoke to the manager
was that the cheaper one was ex-stock. I did not in any case buy from them. I
don't know if the salesman still works for that company or not...I suspect he
would do better in the second hand car trade.

so ...even tho I already have a firewire port on my laptop I will still need a PCI card w/firewire? Then I would have two firewire ports? And my camcorder has RCA jacks for output of sound and video

Hi there,

No no...the PCI card would have to be of the analogue capture type. If the
camera does not have a firewire port attached to it you cannot under any
circumstances use the firewire technology. So assuming that there is no fire
wire port..I doubt if there can be on a non digital camera, you need to look
for a suitable capture/converter device. These can be internal or external.
External still have to connect to something in the computer probably meaning
a special card...what I was trying to get over to you, obviously badly, is
why bother having that when you can probably buy one card that will fit into
a PCI slot. You would then have one cable from camera to computer and no
additional external devices that would maybe need an external power supply as
well.

Phew...think I will go for a rest now :))

I think I understand now, I will begin my search for such a device any recomondations on a manufacturer of such a device
I do have a open slot on my laptop for some type of card

Thanks again

Mike,

The Analog Video Capture section of www.papajohn.org has info about various
devices.... personally I use the Dazzle 80 via a USB connection to my
laptop.... and it works great. But not everyone has positive experiences
with it.

PapaJohn

mike said:
I think I understand now, I will begin my search for such a device any
recomondations on a manufacturer of such a device?

Hi there

Well no, I do not know anyone who has ever shown a good result from USB
devices.

My own USB camera is pathetic and that's video only .

The company "Dazzle" that used to sell such a device was bought out by
Pinnacle...Most of the Dazzle range is now discontinued, you stand a chance
of buying old stock and I know for a fact that existing customers are
getting some very limited support which in the most part consists of a cheap
upgrade to a pinnacle equivalent (but only if you live in the USA)...the
bottom line with USB is that even with USB version 2 the data rate is
abnormally slow when talking about video...you can check up elsewhere on
data rates...don't take my word for it.

As regards a suitable card for a laptop, no I cant help very much except to
offer the following link

http://www.machinevisiononline.org/buyers_guide/product.cfm?product_id=584

If no good you could peruse the links below my signature...some of the
pricing looks very high mind you...

--
Best Wishes.....John Kelly
www.the-kellys.org

http://www.dv-gear.com/

http://www.machinevisiononline.org/buyers_guide/product.cfm?product_id=584

http://www.machinevisiononline.org/buyers_guide/product.cfm?product_id=585

http://store.yahoo.com/ambery/3fipccaforla1.html

http://www.1394max.com/fir13pcmcica.html

http://www.videocardhq.com/hardware/partinfo-id-30943.html

http://www.nextag.com/All~pcmcia+video+cardz0zB4zmainz5-htm

http://pchardware.next-new-way-on.com/laptopbatteries

http://pccomputers.next-new-way-on.com/printercartridges/build_your_own_computer.html

http://www.arbredigital.com/cheap-computers/refurbished_monitors_lcd.html

http://www.hotbuyselectronics.com/sony_dvbk_cw200.htm

http://www.1stvision.com/pcmcia.htm

http://www.upgradehighway.com/products/MATROX_G200MMS_with_Analog_Cables.htm

http://www.computervideogear.com/usb/usb-products.htm

http://www.monitorhq.com/hardware/partinfo-id-30943.html

http://www.astrovid.com/video FRAME GRABBER CAPTURE CARDS.htm

http://www.cm.nu/~shane/lists/vanlug/1999-06/0423.html

http://www.vancouver-webpages.com/vanlug/1999-2/0872.html

http://www.synthesisters.com/hypermail/max-msp/Jul03/8374.html

http://www.faircitytaxes.org/video-card.shtml

http://www.imperx.com/products.asp?catName=framegrabbers

http://www.experts-exchange.com/Hardware/Q_20282566.html

http://www.firewire-1394.com/

http://amberycorp.com/

http://www.alliancevision.com/produits/cartes/imperx/imperx.htm

http://www.vinci.it/FRAME/imperx/IMPERX - The Leader in Mobile Imaging
Products.htm

http://www.radcamdvd.com/

http://www.jknelectronics.com/vcepro02.htm

http://dir.lycos.com/Computers/Hardware/Systems/Notebooks_and_Laptops/Cards_and_Peripherals/

http://www.dvd-gear.com/firewire-dvd+rw-recorder-notebook.htm

http://www.wowway.com/07_ohio_rate_card.html

http://directory.google.com/Top/Com.../Notebooks_and_Laptops/Cards_and_Peripherals/

http://www.laptopparts.com Shop for batteries, ac adapters

http://www.searchbeat.com/Computers/Hardware/Systems/NotebooksandLaptops/CardsandPeripherals/

http://www.digital4u.privat.t-online.de/capture/video_capture_card.html

http://www.dvd-gear.com/pinnacle-studio-moviebox-dv-cardbus-card.htm

http://www.baber.com/laptops/addoncards.htm

http://www.computervideogear.com/

http://www.firewire-1394.com/pinnacle-studio-moviebox-dv-cardbus-card.htm

Hi Mike,
Judging from the description on the Dell website, I'm wondering if the
tutorial said that you can copy DV from your digital camcorder? The PC
comes with an IEEE1394 port which would serve as an input for DV. To do
analog capture you would need to have some sort of USB capture device
connected to the PC to bring in the analog steam. The S-Video cable
supplied with the PC is for output from the PC.
Hope this is of some help.
Lisa Campbell-Smith

mike said:
OK, I am new at this. I have a Dell Inspiron 8600 lap top that is only 2
months old. It came with XP and movie maker (1.0 I think) It also came with
a S cabel/RCA adapter. I watched the tutorial and it said I can copy analog
video from my camcorder. When I "record" from my camcorder into my computer
it only records the sound (no video) I also noticed it is not recognising a
video device. So I guess my question is do I need other hardware or can I
just plug my analog camcorder into the S cable jack on the back of my
computer? That is what I am trying but no luck.
(P.S. The dell support line had me on hold for a hour then the line hung
up on me. I called back and was told the computer is over 30 days old so
they will not offer support.)

Back
Top