Calculator Key

  • Start date Start date

Pammyam

I have a keyboard with a button for the calulator and my computer, etc..
The calculator key isn't working, and I have an idea I've disabled something
in Services that controls it. What might it be?
Thanks.

Are you susing the MS multimedia keyboard? Have you installed the driver for
it? Look for an updated driver.

Did you look at the control panel for your keyboard? Start>control
panel>keyboard- should be a tab called buttons or something like that. The
calculator is Calc.exe. It should be found in Windows/system32 folder. If
you can't get the button working you can always do : Start>run type in
"calc" without the quotes and enter.

You don't need software/drivers for calculator (you do for some functions but calc is built in). Would you have played with Tweakui or the driver software

Non standard functions applied to builtin keys are mapped here
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AppKey

check the drivers/software that came with the keyboard e.g. if its a
Microsoft M/Media or Microsoft internet keybaord, then the "intellitype"
software is what programs the keyboard with the certain key-functions.

David, I did not mess with TweakUI or the driver software knowingly. :-)
However, the AppKey key is missing. Can I just add it back?

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
You don't need software/drivers for calculator (you do for some functions
but calc is built in). Would you have played with Tweakui or the driver
software

Non standard functions applied to builtin keys are mapped here
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AppKey

Oops. Here it is in a different location:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AppKey\18]
"ShellExecute"="calc.exe"

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
You don't need software/drivers for calculator (you do for some functions
but calc is built in). Would you have played with Tweakui or the driver
software

Non standard functions applied to builtin keys are mapped here
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AppKey

I am having a conversation with myself. When my scanner failed to respond
when I pushed the button on the scanner that launches the process, I figured
I'd screwed up something somewhere, most likely by disabling services that I
thought I could do without, which I did because I was trying to get rid of
an annoying message about my printer, which I have since solved. So. I did
a system restore and all is well with scanner and calculator one-touch.
Thanks for the input, all.
Pam

http://www.microscum.com/mscommunity/
Pammyam said:
I have a keyboard with a button for the calulator and my computer, etc..
The calculator key isn't working, and I have an idea I've disabled
something
in Services that controls it. What might it be?
Thanks.

Oops. Here it is in a different location:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AppKey\18]
"ShellExecute"="calc.exe"

I don't have a dedicated Calculator key on my Acer Travelmate 4500
notebook, but I do have a "calc" entry at this Registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AppKey\7

What's the significance of the "7"? I also have some dedicated app
keys at 15, 16, 17, 18. They don't seem to be scan codes, because
scan code 7 looks like the "6" key if I'm reading correctly.

What are the limits to keys that I can program in this way?

If you want to know you get tweakui and start customising the inbuilt keys (calc, volume, etc) and watch what happens (under User not Machine). There are also mfg keys where you need a driver.

Remember absense of a key often means it's using a default value. Depending on setting (security - machine usually overrides user, settings - user usually overrides machine) the user or machine value takes precedance.

As you are a regular you need to do your own experimenting and report back. There is a web page somewhere in the world on this but I've not been able to refind it. I've been browsing the keyboard device driver docs but don't see it there.

Stan Brown said:
[...]

I have TweakUI and none of the entries in Explorer -> Command Keys
seems to correspond to anything on my keyboard. OTOH, my keyboard
does have a euro key and an extra dollar key, which I would very
much like top remap as I keep hitting them instead of the adjacent
arrow keys.

I tried the Acer site but can find no keyboard documentation.

Calculator is 18.

You blank a key by assigning a blank command. User settings override Machine settings. I think calc is special as no entry means nothing happens so it must need the machine key to specify a program.

To swap keys use Remap Key
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&displaylang=en

There is a keyboard designer, which I have installed, but forgot to add the link to favourites.

http://216.239.57.104/search?q=cach...p/6232.asp+"appkey"+explorer&hl=en&lr=lang_en

Sorry you waste of space, your time limit for wasting my time has exceeded (over 30 minutes of hitting refresh over and f cking over). Find your own f cking links.

Stan Brown said:
Stan Brown said:
[...]

APPCOMMANDs and Windows Me
A number of APPCOMMANDs have been defined in Windows Me. A list of these can be found in Winuser.h. These APPCOMMANDs have special registry keys associated with each of them. Each key defines an application associated with a particular APPCOMMAND. These keys are stored in the following location.

HKLM\ Software\ Microsoft\ Windows\ CurrentVersion\ Explorer\ AppKey \<NUM>
HKCU\ Software\ Microsoft\ Windows\ CurrentVersion\ Explorer\ AppKey \< NUM>

Replace <NUM> with the appropriate numeric value for the APPCOMMAND as defined in Winuser.h. The value name stored inside each key should correspond to one of the following three choices:

. ShellExecute: This value is used to define a particular application that should be launched when this key is pressed--for example, calc.exe
Arguments can also be passed, but ensure that they are enclosed within the quotes--for example "runme.exe /arg"

. Association: This value establishes a relation between a file extension and a program to be launched for that particular extension-for example, .mp3

. RegisteredApp: This value is used to launch an application that is registered with the operating system--for example, mail

This data stored in the registry value field must be in the form of a string (REG_SZ). The registry keys are searched in the current user hive of the registry first. If a match is not found in this section, the local machine section is searched. It must be ensured that the registry keys do not contain incorrect values, which might cause the key to become useless.

Changing the value stored inside one of these registry keys does not require a reboot. Windows Millennium Edition, by default, contains five keys stored under the local machine hive. These keys contain the defaults associated with the corresponding APPCOMMAND and must not be removed.

Vendors can write their own user interface to program the registry keys or use INF files to install special entries as defaults

Also see

http://216.239.63.104/search?q=cach...003/03/10/256.aspx+Winuser.h&hl=en&lr=lang_en

Stan Brown said:
Stan Brown said:
[...]

My god, it's like listening to Mother Teresa.

Back
Top