C# for embeddable (OLE) object in MS Office etc.

  • Start date Start date

Richard

Office Addins are easy in .NET. Try this from Visual
Studio's main menu:

File
New Project
"Other Projects"
Extensibility Projects
Shared Addin

Run the wizard and you're off...

--Richard

Thanks Richard,

Yes, Extensibility interface is a start. However this is
an area where we are not overwhelmed by samples and
documentation. Do you know of any?

Also, Ideally I'd like to go back to Word 97 if possible
so and looking at conformance with that clients OLE2
embedding and linking specifications. I'm guessing the
office add-ons have a whole bunch of version issues if not
just focussed on Office XP.

Also, I'm interested in being useable from applications
other than office.

Any sources of help on this subject?

Bob

Hi Bob,

Yes, there are few resource related to create office add-in with .Net, but
there are some create with VBA, I think you can refer to these articles and
transplant them into .Net application.

You can refer to the related office component and use com interop to work
with it.

For how to use .Net to create office addin in VS.net please refer to "HOW
TO: Create and Load Add-ins in the Visual Studio .NET IDE by Using Visual
Basic .NET":
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;317345

Hope this helps,
Best regards,
Jeffrey Tan
Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "Bob Richmond" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "Bob Richmond" <[email protected]>
| Subject: C# for embeddable (OLE) object in MS Office etc.
| Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 08:47:29 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp
|
| Thanks Richard,
|
| Yes, Extensibility interface is a start. However this is
| an area where we are not overwhelmed by samples and
| documentation. Do you know of any?
|
| Also, Ideally I'd like to go back to Word 97 if possible
| so and looking at conformance with that clients OLE2
| embedding and linking specifications. I'm guessing the
| office add-ons have a whole bunch of version issues if not
| just focussed on Office XP.
|
| Also, I'm interested in being useable from applications
| other than office.
|
| Any sources of help on this subject?
|
| Bob

Thanks Jeffrey

Will see what can find and do. Still unsure about office
version interoperability of add-ins. Have you any idea? Is
there a clear statement anywhere on this?

Have to say in in some ways it seems easier to stick with
C++/MFC where documentation is less elusive and products
certainly work.

Do you know if anywhere there is a C# (or even VBA or
whatever) sample of an not totally trivial add-in. Like
the old OLE2 scribble sample.

Bob

Hi Bob,

I think the COM Add-ins is a good and strong feature introduced by
Microsoft, it is convinient to use it work with Office application.
You can create COM add-ins in any language that supports COM, such as VBA,
Visual Basic, and Microsoft Visual C++. Add-ins created with Office
Developer are packaged automatically as DLLs and registered for loading in
the host application. You also can create a single add-in that can work in
several applications.
For a Walkthrough to create COM add-in with VBA, please refer to :
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/modcore/htm
l/dewlkwalkthroughcreatingcomadd-in.asp

I think you also can refer to the OLE Automation.
Automation (formerly OLE Automation) is a feature that programs use to
expose their objects to development tools, macro languages, and other
programs that support Automation.
For How to Use (OLE) Automation with Word, please refer to:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;184974

You can search "OLE Automation" in MSDN to find more information about it.

Hope this helps,
Best regards,
Jeffrey Tan
Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "Bob Richmond" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "Bob Richmond" <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: C# for embeddable (OLE) object in MS Office etc.
| Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 09:59:25 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp
|
| Thanks Jeffrey
|
| Will see what can find and do. Still unsure about office
| version interoperability of add-ins. Have you any idea? Is
| there a clear statement anywhere on this?
|
| Have to say in in some ways it seems easier to stick with
| C++/MFC where documentation is less elusive and products
| certainly work.
|
| Do you know if anywhere there is a C# (or even VBA or
| whatever) sample of an not totally trivial add-in. Like
| the old OLE2 scribble sample.
|
| Bob

| >|
| >| Thanks Richard,
| >|
| >| Yes, Extensibility interface is a start. However this
| is
| >| an area where we are not overwhelmed by samples and
| >| documentation. Do you know of any?
| >|
| >| Also, Ideally I'd like to go back to Word 97 if
| possible
| >| so and looking at conformance with that clients OLE2
| >| embedding and linking specifications. I'm guessing the
| >| office add-ons have a whole bunch of version issues if
| not
| >| just focussed on Office XP.
| >|
| >| Also, I'm interested in being useable from applications
| >| other than office.
| >|
| >| Any sources of help on this subject?
| >|