Burning CD question

ms

EasyISO 1.3
Trying to burn a data cd on 700 MB blanks.

Used to burn data CD's with HP Record Now, had no problems as long as contents was
550 MB or less. Same with Easy CD Creator 4.

Today, tried both, they go all the way through the test write and data write
process, then I get a write error message and a coaster.

I tried one of the above coaster/empty CD's in EasyISO, get a "burn OK?" box, it
proceeds and finishes. The final CD is still empty.

Should I use a fresh CD, even if the "used CD" has no files on it?

Shouldn't EasyISO warn me if the CD is unusable and should be replaced?

Mike Sa

ms

ms said:
EasyISO 1.3
Trying to burn a data cd on 700 MB blanks.

Used to burn data CD's with HP Record Now, had no problems as long as
contents was 550 MB or less. Same with Easy CD Creator 4.

Today, tried both, they go all the way through the test write and data
write process, then I get a write error message and a coaster.

I tried one of the above coaster/empty CD's in EasyISO, get a "burn OK?"
box, it proceeds and finishes. The final CD is still empty.

Should I use a fresh CD, even if the "used CD" has no files on it?

Shouldn't EasyISO warn me if the CD is unusable and should be replaced?

Mike Sa
Update, with a fresh CD, it seems to go through the process, no error message, but
the burned CD shows no files.

Advice?

Mike Sa

Mike Andrade

ms said:
Update, with a fresh CD, it seems to go through the process, no
error message, but the burned CD shows no files.

Advice?
Use Deepburner or Burnatonce.

jason

ms said:
EasyISO 1.3
Trying to burn a data cd on 700 MB blanks.

Used to burn data CD's with HP Record Now, had no problems as long as
contents was
550 MB or less. Same with Easy CD Creator 4.

Today, tried both, they go all the way through the test write and data
write process, then I get a write error message and a coaster.

That happened to me last weekend. I burned a bunch of coasters at various
speeds (even 1X) with no success. I'd get a buffer underrun in the last
few seconds... Then, I figured out there's a limit on the number of files
that can be copied onto a CD. For me 11,000 files was okay, 15,000 was
not. I doubt anyone has as many files as me, but thought I'd pass on the
info.

dadiOH

ms said:
EasyISO 1.3
Trying to burn a data cd on 700 MB blanks.

Used to burn data CD's with HP Record Now, had no problems as long as
contents was 550 MB or less. Same with Easy CD Creator 4.

Not related to your problem but your size limitation of 550 MB indicates
you were writing to formatted blanks (formatting eats up space).
Formatting is only required when packet writing...drag and drop. If you
have been formatting blanks, stop.

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

ms

dadiOH said:
Not related to your problem but your size limitation of 550 MB indicates
you were writing to formatted blanks (formatting eats up space).
Formatting is only required when packet writing...drag and drop. If you
have been formatting blanks, stop.

I didn't knowlingly format. Is there a common term in CD burning that refers to
formatting? Maybe some default needs to be unselected.

Mike Sa

Susan Bugher

jason said:
That happened to me last weekend. I burned a bunch of coasters at various
speeds (even 1X) with no success. I'd get a buffer underrun in the last
few seconds... Then, I figured out there's a limit on the number of files
that can be copied onto a CD. For me 11,000 files was okay, 15,000 was
not. I doubt anyone has as many files as me, but thought I'd pass on the
info.

You are not alone (and I've run into problems too). The theoretical
answer to "how many files?" is (of course) "that depends". ;)

http://www.cdrfaq.org/faq02.html#S2-24

Subject: [2-24] How many tracks can I have? How many files?
(2002/02/11)

You can have up to 99 tracks. Because the track number is stored as a
two-digit decimal number starting with "01" (BCD encoded, in case you
were wondering), it's not possible to exceed this.

Tracks must be at least 4 seconds long, according to the standard. In
practice, CD recorders have different notions of how short a track can
be, but most recorders will refuse to write a track shorter than one second.

The maximum number of files depends on the filesystem you're using. For
ISO-9660, you can (in theory) have as many as you want. In practice, DOS
or Windows will treat the disc internally as a FAT16 filesystem, so you
are limited to about 65,000 files if you want broad compatibility.

-------

http://www.cdrfaq.org/faq04.html#S4-48

Subject: [4-48] Files in deep directories can be seen but not opened
(2001/10/25)

The ISO-9660 standard allows discs with directories nested 8 deep. If
you try to go deeper than that, you may have trouble reading the files.
Win2K and WinNT4 seem to work, but Win98SE doesn't.

Programs like "mkisofs" can use the Rock Ridge extensions to work around
the problem. Directories are "re-rooted" at a higher level, and
invisible links are created from the deeper directories. Unfortunately,
Windows still doesn't support Rock Ridge.

The UDF format, used by packet writing applications, may (?) allow
deeper directories. However, not all systems can read UDF discs.

-------

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware
http://google.ca/advanced_group_search?q=+group:alt.comp.freeware

ms

Mike said:
Use Deepburner or Burnatonce.
I did get one good copy with HPRecordNow this AM.
I got good results with DeepBurner ONCE???
I used one of the "coasters" that Record Now did not like. DeepBurner wrote to it
with no problems. That was impressive.

Several hours later, I tried a new copy with several CD's including a new blank.
It seems to read them, but then rejects the CD and does not write to it. The log
file does not seem to help. Looked through the help file, rejecting the CD for no
obvious reason is not covered.

I notice DeepBurner is fine with drag and drop, does not work with brouwsing to
the folder to add to the CD. The right screen opens to the folder, but you can
only Cancel.

Comments?

Mike Sa

ms

dadiOH said:
Not related to your problem but your size limitation of 550 MB indicates
you were writing to formatted blanks (formatting eats up space).
Formatting is only required when packet writing...drag and drop. If you
have been formatting blanks, stop.

HPRecordNow seems to limit below 600 MB. Today, using DeepBurner, I loaded 640 MB
and it worked fine. I'm not formatting, it's just the results I'm seeing.

Mike Sa

dadiOH

ms said:
HPRecordNow seems to limit below 600 MB. Today, using DeepBurner, I
loaded 640 MB and it worked fine. I'm not formatting, it's just the
results I'm seeing.

I use RecordNow, 700MB blanks, it writes 700MB of data. Or more if I
wish.

No idea what your problem is. Have you checked "blank size" in options
to see what it is set to?

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

ms

dadiOH said:
I use RecordNow, 700MB blanks, it writes 700MB of data. Or more if I
wish.

No idea what your problem is. Have you checked "blank size" in options
to see what it is set to?
I have some new results, limits at 630 MB. Your comment above- I have Ver. 3.5,
no where do I see "blank size" in Options. Where is it?

Mike Sa

dadiOH

I have Ver. 3.5, no where do I see "blank size" in Options. Where is
it?

Options, Stomp RecordNow Max, v 4.5

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

ms

dadiOH said:
it?

Options, Stomp RecordNow Max, v 4.5

Ver 4.5 error message "my ver 3.5 is wrong version to upgrade to 4.5"

Ver. 3.5 clearly limits to 630 MB or less on a 700 MB disk.
I went back today to the HP website, there are 10 versions of a 3.5 update, each
with basically identical descriptions, I am D/L the most likely, what advantages I
don't know yet.

Do you know the link to a standalone ver 4.5 that works in W98 and does not tie to
a previous version?

Mike Sa

joesilver

Since you happened to mention these two programs... I just put
DeepBurner (the last freeware version), burnatonce and CDBurnerXP Pro
on a CD for a friend, with some other audio freeware. Because I had
never used any of these CD-burning programs, I gave each one a quick
test, in case my friend (who is not very technically savvy) happens to
ask me which one I'd recommend.

While CDBurnerXP Pro and burnatonce worked OK, DeepBurner put a
clicking noise at the start of each audio track, and also chopped off a
bit of the end of each track. Granted, there may be some setting in the
program that was causing this to occur, but I just wanted potential
users to know that this could happen if they use the program with its
default settings, whereas the other two freeware burning programs were
fine right out of the box - on *my* system, at least.

dadiOH

ms said:
Ver 4.5 error message "my ver 3.5 is wrong version to upgrade to 4.5"

Ver. 3.5 clearly limits to 630 MB or less on a 700 MB disk.
I went back today to the HP website, there are 10 versions of a 3.5
update, each with basically identical descriptions, I am D/L the most
likely, what advantages I don't know yet.

Do you know the link to a standalone ver 4.5 that works in W98 and
does not tie to a previous version?

Here's a 30 day trial of 4.0
http://downloads.stompinc.com/files/recordnowmax_30day.exe

You can get a free copy of RecordNow MAX 3.5b at HP - I'm not sure if
you have RecordNow or RecordNow Max - by going to the following URL and
entering an HP CD drive number such as 9310i
http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html

Update of RecordNow to 4.56
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp
?&lang=English&locBasepartNum=pv-10321-1

Poking around on Google could be productive, particularly those hits
that also say "Translate this page".

--
dadiOH
____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...

ms

dadiOH said:
Here's a 30 day trial of 4.0
http://downloads.stompinc.com/files/recordnowmax_30day.exe

You can get a free copy of RecordNow MAX 3.5b at HP - I'm not sure if
you have RecordNow or RecordNow Max - by going to the following URL and
entering an HP CD drive number such as 9310i
http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/support.html

Update of RecordNow to 4.56
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareDescription.jsp
?&lang=English&locBasepartNum=pv-10321-1

Poking around on Google could be productive, particularly those hits
that also say "Translate this page".

I had RecordNow 3.5 from my original LazerJet 6L, now have 3.5B.

The 4.56 upgrade did not work for me before, it only upgrades from 3.56, which is
maybe a version with HP computers. Also I have W98SE, not XP.

At least, 3.5 is now working reliably again, such as it is.
I will look into other utils like BurntotheBrim, etc.

Thanks for the help, and to the others that replied.

Mike Sa

jmatt

If needed , these may help , Mike .

Burn to the Brim
http://bttb.sourceforge.net/
Burn to the Brim is an open-source freeware program designed to make
selection of files to optimally fill a CD a breeze. Freeware .

The New File Order
http://tnfo.delta-arts.de/indexengl.htm
The New File Order was created, to simplify backups of many files on
CD-Rs with 650 MB or 700 MB. In the long run it is not acceptable to
copy big data volumes into 650 repectively 700 MB sized folders, by
hand to burn them afterwards. The functions of The New File Order
are still not included in the burning software of the major
companies, therefore it was time to
provide a solution to that problem.