Bill Gates Needs to Be in Jail

  • Start date Start date

Pete & Terrie

I am connected to the internet and am using Netscape 7.2 and it works fine.

IE 6.0 comes on for a half second and shuts down. I cannot run Windows
Automatic Updates, I cannot update Norton Anti-Virus and I cannot install
Turbo Tax.

I hope the jerk is happy in his ivory tower. May the stock market crash and
he go bankrupt.

Sometimes I find it a little bizarre how people tend to hold the head of a
company personally responsible for that company's perceived failures. I'd
think a refund would be enough if you weren't satisfied with their product,
but evidently prison is a better alternative.

Pete & Terrie said:
I am connected to the internet and am using Netscape 7.2 and it works
fine.
IE 6.0 comes on for a half second and shuts down. I cannot run Windows
Automatic Updates, I cannot update Norton Anti-Virus and I cannot
install Turbo Tax.

I hope the jerk is happy in his ivory tower. May the stock market
crash and he go bankrupt.

One is tempted to totally ignore posts that are rants.
First eliminate any scumware.
What You Should Know About Spyware
http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/devioussoftware.mspx

CAUTION!!!!! Before you try to remove spyware using any of these programs ,
download a copy of LSPFIX from any of the following sites:
http://www.cexx.org/lspfix.htm
(if your OS is Win2k or XP) The process of removing certain malware may kill
your internet connection. If this should occur, this program, LSPFIX, will
enable you to regain your connection.

See
Dealing with Unwanted Malware, Parasites, Toolbars and Search Engines
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

Note that AdAware and SpyBot S & D will each catch some things the other
won't. Also, each needs to be updated with the program's update function
before every use, even when just downloaded. There's also a lot more to do
than just those two programs. CWShredder is also available here:
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/regs_edits/cwshredder.zip or
http://forum.aumha.org/downloads/cwshredder.zip
**Post your HijackThis log to
http://www.spywareinfo.com/forums/
http://forums.tomcoyote.org/
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/ or the Spyware forum at
http://forum.aumha.org/viewforum.php?f=30 for expert analysis, not here.**
Alternative download pages for Ad-Aware, Spybot, HijackThis and CWShredder
may be found on this page:
http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm.

See this link for information about malware:
http://arstechnica.com/articles/paedia/malware.ars

If nothing there helps, please post back to this thread.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

ack, my pinky is sprained from hitting the enter key, the maker of these
keyboards needs to go to jail for injurying my finger, also my eyes tend to
hurt looking at the monitor, the people who design, make and sell them needs
to go to jail too.

Pete & Terrie said:
I am connected to the internet and am using Netscape 7.2 and it works
fine.

IE 6.0 comes on for a half second and shuts down. I cannot run Windows
Automatic Updates, I cannot update Norton Anti-Virus and I cannot
install Turbo Tax.

I hope the jerk is happy in his ivory tower. May the stock market
crash and he go bankrupt.

Just got out of rehab, huh?

Since you didn't ask for help, don't expect any.

Yeah, right, blame Bill for your hijacking.

The broswer is a piece of crap. Nearly every novice (and some expert) user
in the world gets hijacked. Most live with it. It is a crime what that POS
browser allows.

Firefox blows it away.

That is actually a very soft illusion.

Most importantly, and one many people seem to forget, or ignore, is the fact
that, not every user in the world has the *choice* of which browser they can
use, or to what extent it can be secured. Company IT and Administrators
have the last word as to what programs can be used and the level of
security. While most are very competent, it is a fact that many IT and
Administrators are not much smarter than their users when it comes to
program use and how to set Internet and server security period.

It is also a fact that, absolutely NO browser is totally without
vulnerabilities of some sort that can be viloated. Not with the extremely
high level of technological abilities of those who are creating the type of
vicious and damaging viruses and malware being seen at this point, and they
can just as easily figure out a way to attack Mozilla/FireFox, Netscape, or
any other browsers that access the Internet if they choose to do so. You
can bet the farm on that. They are not just out to *get* Microsoft because
they are ticked off at Mr. Gates or have an axe to grind with MS, they are
in it for *huge* profits, and if the other browsers had a larger market
share, they too would be targets of the same type of attacks and become just
as much 'crap.'

Even wearing a rain slicker does not mean you can't get wet in a storm.

Jan :)
Smiles are meant to be shared,
that's why they're so contagious.

Replies are posted only to the newsgroup for the benefit or other readers.
How to make a good newsgroup post:
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

Dave Powlin said:
The broswer is a piece of crap. Nearly every novice (and some expert)
user in the world gets hijacked. Most live with it. It is a crime
what that POS browser allows.

Firefox blows it away.

I have both and I have yet to find a single way in which Firefox is better
than IE6 SP2. You can't even put the toolbar on the same line as the menu
bar.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Dave said:
The broswer is a piece of crap. Nearly every novice (and some expert) user
in the world gets hijacked. Most live with it. It is a crime what that POS
browser allows.

Firefox blows it away.

Izzat so?

Netscape 7.x, Konqueror 3.x, Opera 7.x, Safari 1.x, Microsoft Internet
Explorer 5.01/5.5/6, Mozilla 0.x, Mozilla 1.0, Mozilla 1.1, Mozilla 1.2,
Mozilla 1.3, Mozilla 1.4, Mozilla 1.5, Mozilla 1.6, Mozilla 1.7.x,
Mozilla *Firefox* 0.x,
Mozilla *Firefox* 1.x

The problem is that a website can inject content into another site's
window if the target name of the window is known. This can e.g. be
exploited by a malicious website to spoof the content of a pop-up window
opened on a trusted website.

Secunia has constructed a test, which can be used to check if your
browser is affected by this issue:
http://secunia.com/multiple_browsers_window_injection_vulnerability_test/

Notes:
- The vulnerability has been confirmed in Mozilla 1.7.3 and Mozilla
*Firefox* 1.0. Other versions may also be affected.
- The vulnerability has been confirmed on a fully patched system with
Internet Explorer 6.0 and Microsoft Windows XP SP1/SP2.
- The vulnerability has been confirmed in Safari version 1.2.4. Other
versions may also be affected.
- The vulnerability has been confirmed in Opera version 7.54. Other
versions may also be affected.
- The vulnerability has been confirmed in Konqueror version 3.2.2-6.
Other versions may also be affected.
- The vulnerability has been confirmed in Netscape 7.2. Other versions
may also be affected.

Solution: Do not browse untrusted sites while browsing trusted sites.

Netscape: http://secunia.com/advisories/13402/
Opera: http://secunia.com/advisories/13253/
Mozilla/Firefox: http://secunia.com/advisories/13129/
IE: http://secunia.com/advisories/13251/
Konqueror: http://secunia.com/advisories/13254/
Safari: http://secunia.com/advisories/13252/
</paste>

So because you're incompetant, the browser is a POPS and Bill Gates is
personally responsible? Why don't you run Linux?

IMHO the tabs used in FireFox (and MSIE-Maxthon) to view multiple pages
within one window are HUGE improvement over MSIE.

Larry

IMHO the tabs used in FireFox (and MSIE-Maxthon) to view multiple pages
within one window are HUGE improvement over MSIE.

Only.... if a person needs that type of feature....not everyone does. I
don't. It's a bit unreasonable to assume everyone else has the same need,
or appreciation, of that particular feature. But, for those of you who do,
then.... use it. I had FireFox for over a year, and I found it no better
for my needs, which are extensive. I no longer use it, but, keep as a
backup.

Jan :)

Only.... if a person needs that type of feature....not everyone does. I
don't. It's a bit unreasonable to assume everyone else has the same need,
or appreciation, of that particular feature. But, for those of you who do,
then.... use it. I had FireFox for over a year, and I found it no better
for my needs, which are extensive. I no longer use it, but, keep as a
backup.

I like the tab feature, especially the ability to open clicked lnks in a
new tab, but I don't think FireFox is all the way there yet. Some
features are an improvement over IE, but others are not as good. The
program takes a painfully long time to load compared to IE, and it has
trouble rendering some pages properly. I'll grant that those pages might
be bad HTML, but frankly, I don't care. I want to view the page, not
admire the validity of its coding.

I also find the administrative functions lacking. Bookmark management is
unusable without a plug-in, and with the plug-in it's just adaquate.Pop-up
management is awkward. I haven't found any built-in way to clear the
cache. Many options that should be available for configuration are not.
Eventually Firefox will be a great browser, but it's got a way to go.

Hi Gary :-)
I like the tab feature, especially the ability to open clicked lnks in a
new tab, but I don't think FireFox is all the way there yet. Some
features are an improvement over IE, but others are not as good. The
program takes a painfully long time to load compared to IE, and it has
trouble rendering some pages properly. I'll grant that those pages might
be bad HTML, but frankly, I don't care. I want to view the page, not
admire the validity of its coding.

I also find the administrative functions lacking. Bookmark management is
unusable without a plug-in, and with the plug-in it's just adaquate.Pop-up
management is awkward. I haven't found any built-in way to clear the
cache. Many options that should be available for configuration are not.
Eventually Firefox will be a great browser, but it's got a way to go.

I agree....that was more or less my experience. I also agree that FireFox,
and Netscape, are capable of being very good browsers, but, they don't fill
my daily needs today.

Jan :)

Frank Saunders said:
I couldn't care less about tabbed browsing. I fail to see any advantage.

I don't know Firefox tabs but I've started to use XP's Taskbar grouping
feature a lot more for both IE and OE. I sure wish keyboard navigation
with it would be enhanced. Right now it has no memory of where I last
used it, so navigation to a group and within a group is tediously repetitive.
Of course, this is only a problem to people who want to use their keyboard
to navigate by. Mouse users probably think it's wonderful. <eg>

Robert
---

The advantages of tabs are significant for people like me who often have 10
or more web pages open simultaneously. Navigating back and forth between the
pages is much much smoother and faster if they're all within the same
window. If you have 10 MSIE windows open, the task bar is way too crowded
and cramped with all those windows.

Personally, I prefer the MSIE-Maxthon combo rather than FoxFire. It's the
best of both worlds.

Larry

<larry> wrote in message
If you have 10 MSIE windows open, the task bar is way too crowded
and cramped with all those windows.

In XP Taskbar grouping would give you 1 taskbar icon for those,
which when clicked on would open up a list of complete titles
for all the windows being grouped.

An advantage of Taskbar grouping is that it applies not only
to IE windows but other applications (such as OE) as well.
E.g., Firefox tabbing wouldn't help clean up the OE window icons
in the Taskbar. I frequently have more OE windows open than IE
windows open and appreciate that both can be grouped.

BTW something that is almost as good is the Task Manager
Applications tab with View Details and sorted by Task name.
That's what I used to use, before Taskbar grouping became
available, whenever the number of Taskbar icons I generated
became unmanageable.

Robert
---

Back