Big problems with the Asus Wifi-b

Chris Gibbins

Got this today, installed it fine.

Now I am trying to get my laptop (Acer Travelmate 803LmiB Centrino) to
connect to the internet via the Wifi-b but it's not working

The laptop can see the connection and is connected to it, but I can't ping
this system (on which the wifi-b is installed) and I can't ping the laptop
from this system - and I can't get online using the laptop either

Both systems are running windows XP pro, and the mobo the wifi-b is
installed on is the P4C800-E

I've got ICS setup, I've run the wizard several times but still no joy

I've tried to connect both with and without a firewall (norton) and I've
disabled the windows XP firewall on the internet connection

Any ideas?

Thanks

Duncan M

Chris Gibbins said:
Got this today, installed it fine.

Now I am trying to get my laptop (Acer Travelmate 803LmiB Centrino) to
connect to the internet via the Wifi-b but it's not working

The laptop can see the connection and is connected to it, but I can't ping
this system (on which the wifi-b is installed) and I can't ping the laptop
from this system - and I can't get online using the laptop either

Both systems are running windows XP pro, and the mobo the wifi-b is
installed on is the P4C800-E

I've got ICS setup, I've run the wizard several times but still no joy

I've tried to connect both with and without a firewall (norton) and I've
disabled the windows XP firewall on the internet connection

Any ideas?

Thanks
Hi

Does anyone have an answer for this...I am beginning to pull my hair
out!

I am having exactly the same problem, but as a client connecting to
Win XP pro I am using an apple ibook laptop (actually trying to set up
my partner's) so
she can share broadband access.

The apple (using an Airport Extreme card) finds and connects to the
wireless network fine. However, I cannot ping the XP machine...as the
guy above is finding.

Pretty sure the problem lies in the XP side of things, but cannot for
the life of me see what.

Help would really be appreciated on this.

Thanks in advance

Duncan

Duncan M said:
"Chris Gibbins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
Hi

Does anyone have an answer for this...I am beginning to pull my hair
out!

I am having exactly the same problem, but as a client connecting to
Win XP pro I am using an apple ibook laptop (actually trying to set up
my partner's) so
she can share broadband access.

The apple (using an Airport Extreme card) finds and connects to the
wireless network fine. However, I cannot ping the XP machine...as the
guy above is finding.

Pretty sure the problem lies in the XP side of things, but cannot for
the life of me see what.

Help would really be appreciated on this.

Thanks in advance

Duncan
Sounds like it may be firewall related. Go into the lan settings properties
and look at the advanced settings tab. Try turning off the built-in winxp
internet connection firewall, and see if you can then ping.
If you have another firewall product installed, you may have to
figure out how to do the same thing.
Good luck.

Duncan M

n said:
Sounds like it may be firewall related. Go into the lan settings properties
and look at the advanced settings tab. Try turning off the built-in winxp
internet connection firewall, and see if you can then ping.
If you have another firewall product installed, you may have to
figure out how to do the same thing.
Good luck.

Hi

Thanks for this, but I made sure that XP's firewall was not turned on
on the Internet connection and I did have an alternate Firewall
running (Norton) but disabled that. Still no joy whatsoever.

Anything else it could be?

Cheers

Duncan

Chris Gibbins

Duncan M said:
"n" <[email protected]> wrote in message

Hi

Thanks for this, but I made sure that XP's firewall was not turned on
on the Internet connection and I did have an alternate Firewall
running (Norton) but disabled that. Still no joy whatsoever.

Anything else it could be?

Cheers

Duncan

Uninstall the software that came with the wifi-b - let windows handle the
card, it worked for me then

Duncan M

Chris Gibbins said:
Uninstall the software that came with the wifi-b - let windows handle the
card, it worked for me then

Hi Chris

Forgive me for being a bit stupid, but I seem to be having problems
doing just that.

I have uninstalled the software, then tried to create a new network.
But when it comes down to it my Wireless Network connection has a big
X through it.

Can you tell me the exact steps you took to get this thing to work
(I'm obviously pretty new to this wireless game!)

Thanks again.

Duncan