Basic ComboBox question

  • Start date Start date

David Sworder

Hi,

I have a ComboBox that contains 1,400 sorted items [don't ask,
management decision :(]. Here's the list:

abba
apple
[...lots of items]...
cabba
caccaa
capple
czar
[...lots of items]...
pheasentHeadOfDeath

Let's say the user is trying to select "capple". The natural thing to do
is to dropdown the listbox and type the first few letters of the item's
name. So the user might type "cap." The behavior is as follows: When the
user hits 'c', 'caba' is selected then the user immediately hits 'a' at
which point 'abba' is selected and then the user hits 'p' and
'pheasentHeadOfDeath' is selected. Is there a way to get the ComboBox to
realize that the user is trying to spell a word and highlight the first item
that begins with 'cap'? If this user waits more than x seconds between
keystrokes, the comboBox would realize that he's searching for a new item. I
can think of ways to program this manually, but I wanted to make sure that
this type of thing wasn't already built into the ComboBox via some sort of
"ComboBoxUnderstandsKeystrokesAsWords" property or something.

David

The ComboBox does not have this functionality built in, so you'll have to do
something yourself. See the Genghis CompletionCombo from Sells Brothers for
an example if you want to write your own, or you can use the Genghis's dll
for free if you want:
http://www.sellsbrothers.com/tools/genghis/

Hi David,

Thank you for posting in this group.

The ComboBox control does not contain such function.
I think you should create a custom control inherited from the ComboBox,
then you can apply your program logic in your class.

For example, you can handle the ComboBox_TextChanged event, select relevant
element while the customer typing.(But you should set the appropriate
charaters focus of the text).

If you still have any questions, please feel free to let me know.
Hope this helps,
Jeffrey Tan
Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "David Sworder" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Basic ComboBox question
| Date: Fri, 3 Oct 2003 11:10:12 -0700
| Newsgroups:
microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.windowsforms,microsoft.public.dotnet.langu
ages.csharp

| Hi,
|
| I have a ComboBox that contains 1,400 sorted items [don't ask,
| management decision :(]. Here's the list:
|
| abba
| apple
| [...lots of items]...
| cabba
| caccaa
| capple
| czar
| [...lots of items]...
| pheasentHeadOfDeath
|
| Let's say the user is trying to select "capple". The natural thing to
do
| is to dropdown the listbox and type the first few letters of the item's
| name. So the user might type "cap." The behavior is as follows: When the
| user hits 'c', 'caba' is selected then the user immediately hits 'a' at
| which point 'abba' is selected and then the user hits 'p' and
| 'pheasentHeadOfDeath' is selected. Is there a way to get the ComboBox to
| realize that the user is trying to spell a word and highlight the first
item
| that begins with 'cap'? If this user waits more than x seconds between
| keystrokes, the comboBox would realize that he's searching for a new
item. I
| can think of ways to program this manually, but I wanted to make sure that
| this type of thing wasn't already built into the ComboBox via some sort of
| "ComboBoxUnderstandsKeystrokesAsWords" property or something.
|
| David

Back
Top