Backgrounds

Bill Gee

I am having an enormous amount of trouble with
backgrounds. Everytime I insert a background (page,
table or cell), FP inserts the full path name C:/{folder}
{file}. I did not see it for the first few weeks because
FP and IE find it easily on my hard disk. But when I
published I found out that no one else in the world could
see it. I posted it to the newsgroup and an MVP looked
at the source code and pointed out the problem. He
suggested that the problem was that I had placed the BG
file (jpg) was in my Web folder and it should be in my
image folder (I have been using FP 2002 for 2 years and
never used the image folder and never had this sort of
problem.) Nonetheless, I moved the file to the image
folder and deleted all references to the original file
and replaced them with the file in its new location. But
FP continued to insert the full path and friends told me
that the problem continued. Posting again, it was
suggested that my FP was corrupted so I did a detect and
repair but that didn't work so I uninstalled and
reinstalled. Nope.
Now I notice that each time I browse and select the file
it is displayed properly in the appropriate properties
dialog box but if I reopen the window the full path name
is displayed in the field and find it to be inserted in
the HTML.
I have found a workaround by manually replacing it in the
HTML BUT THIS IS NOT A SOLUTION - its maddening!

Can anyone figure out why FP is doing this to me (not
actually taking it tha personally) and how to stop it.

David Payer

Bill Gee said:
I am having an enormous amount of trouble with
backgrounds. Everytime I insert a background (page,
table or cell), FP inserts the full path name C:/{folder}
{file}.

When you PUBLISH using FP (not simply move the files from your computer to
the server via a separate FTP program) then FP changes this.

David P.

Thomas A. Rowe

1. You must have a web / site open first, not just a page.
2. The images must be imported into this open web / site prior to using them on your pages.

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

Bill Gee

Never before.
It does it in my files on my computer. Before publishing.
With what you say, I should not publish with FP but use FTP.

Bill Gee

Thanx once again Mr. Rowe.
But I don't quite understand.
1. Several weeks ago you told me that the web must be open first. I
always work with webs never with pages. A friend of mine works with pages
and not webs (and refuses to learn cause he won't fix what ain't broke) and
never has a problem.
2. The jpgs were imported using windows explorer. This problem only comes
up with backgrounds. I can insert pictures from files or the scanner or
clip art or save them to the web from Photoshop at anytime or any place.

Thomas A. Rowe

Please explain the steps related to "The jpgs were imported using windows explorer"

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

Thomas A. Rowe

Correct.

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

Bill Gee

I opened My Computer, navigated to the folder, selected the file, selected
move, navigated to the destination folder (webname/images), selected Move
this folder from File and Folder tasks, navigated to tha destination folder
in the Move items dialog box, clicked move.
However most graphic files are moved to the web (and since your suggestion
directly to the images file) by using the save for web option in Photoshop)
and saving them directly to the images folder.
What bothers me most is that I have been using the same methods (except
for your suggestion of using the images folder) for 2 years and this is the
first time it has happened. (I have dozens of webs with an empty images
folder and no problems) And the fact that no other graphics files are
inserted with the full path name.

?

=?Windows-1252?Q?Rob_Giordano_\=28aka:_Crash_Gordo

It's much safer to us FP to Import files and images, this way FP knows whats happening and can keep track of things - rename paths etc.

| I opened My Computer, navigated to the folder, selected the file, selected
| move, navigated to the destination folder (webname/images), selected Move
| this folder from File and Folder tasks, navigated to tha destination folder
| in the Move items dialog box, clicked move.
| However most graphic files are moved to the web (and since your suggestion
| directly to the images file) by using the save for web option in Photoshop)
| and saving them directly to the images folder.
| What bothers me most is that I have been using the same methods (except
| for your suggestion of using the images folder) for 2 years and this is the
| first time it has happened. (I have dozens of webs with an empty images
| folder and no problems) And the fact that no other graphics files are
| inserted with the full path name.
| | > Please explain the steps related to "The jpgs were imported using
| windows explorer"
| >
| > --
| > ==============================================
| > Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
| > WEBMASTER Resources(tm)
| >
| > FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.
| > ==============================================
| > To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage support see:
| > http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp

| > > But I don't quite understand.
| > > 1. Several weeks ago you told me that the web must be open first. I
| > > always work with webs never with pages. A friend of mine works with
| pages
| > > and not webs (and refuses to learn cause he won't fix what ain't
| broke) and
| > > never has a problem.
| > > 2. The jpgs were imported using windows explorer. This problem only
| comes
| > > up with backgrounds. I can insert pictures from files or the scanner
| or
| > > clip art or save them to the web from Photoshop at anytime or any
| place.

| using
| > > them on your pages.

| see:
| > > >
| message

| > > computer to

Bill Gee

Thanks.
It is probably correct but why after 2 years should it only happen now and
seemingly only in this web?
"Rob Giordano (aka: Crash Gordon®)" <[email protected]>
wrote in message It's much safer to us FP to Import files and images, this way FP knows
whats happening and can keep track of things - rename paths etc.

| I opened My Computer, navigated to the folder, selected the file,
selected
| move, navigated to the destination folder (webname/images), selected
Move
| this folder from File and Folder tasks, navigated to tha destination
folder
| in the Move items dialog box, clicked move.
| However most graphic files are moved to the web (and since your
suggestion
| directly to the images file) by using the save for web option in
Photoshop)
| and saving them directly to the images folder.
| What bothers me most is that I have been using the same methods
(except
| for your suggestion of using the images folder) for 2 years and this is
the
| first time it has happened. (I have dozens of webs with an empty images
| folder and no problems) And the fact that no other graphics files are
| inserted with the full path name.
| | > Please explain the steps related to "The jpgs were imported using
| windows explorer"
| >
| > --
| > ==============================================
| > Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
| > WEBMASTER Resources(tm)
| >
| > FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.
| > ==============================================
| > To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage support see:
| > http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp

| > > But I don't quite understand.
| > > 1. Several weeks ago you told me that the web must be open
first. I
| > > always work with webs never with pages. A friend of mine works
with
| pages
| > > and not webs (and refuses to learn cause he won't fix what ain't
| broke) and
| > > never has a problem.
| > > 2. The jpgs were imported using windows explorer. This problem
only
| comes
| > > up with backgrounds. I can insert pictures from files or the
scanner
| or
| > > clip art or save them to the web from Photoshop at anytime or any
| place.

| using
| > > them on your pages.

| see:

in
| message

| > > computer to

?

=?Windows-1252?Q?Rob_Giordano_\=28aka:_Crash_Gordo

Dunno.

But, I'm stuborn, once I find the way to do something I stick to it...much safer than repeatedly blowing up my box :)

| Thanks.
| It is probably correct but why after 2 years should it only happen now and
| seemingly only in this web?
| "Rob Giordano (aka: Crash Gordon®)" <[email protected]>
| wrote in message | It's much safer to us FP to Import files and images, this way FP knows
| whats happening and can keep track of things - rename paths etc.

| | |
| | I opened My Computer, navigated to the folder, selected the file,
| selected
| | move, navigated to the destination folder (webname/images), selected
| Move
| | this folder from File and Folder tasks, navigated to tha destination
| folder
| | in the Move items dialog box, clicked move.
| | However most graphic files are moved to the web (and since your
| suggestion
| | directly to the images file) by using the save for web option in
| Photoshop)
| | and saving them directly to the images folder.
| | What bothers me most is that I have been using the same methods
| (except
| | for your suggestion of using the images folder) for 2 years and this is
| the
| | first time it has happened. (I have dozens of webs with an empty images
| | folder and no problems) And the fact that no other graphics files are
| | inserted with the full path name.
| | windows explorer"
| | >
| | > --
| | > ==============================================
| | > Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
| | > WEBMASTER Resources(tm)
| | >
| | > FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.
| | > ==============================================
| | > To assist you in getting the best answers for FrontPage support see:
| | > http://www.net-sites.com/sitebuilder/newsgroups.asp

| first. I
| with
| | pages
| | broke) and
| only
| | comes
| scanner
| | or
| | place.

| | using

| support
| | see:
| | > > >
| in
| | message

| your

| |
| |
| |

Thomas A. Rowe

Bill, the images don't have to be in the images folder, they just have to be somewhere in the web,
and they have to be imported into the current open FP web prior to using.

Saving directly within a web from another application is not the correct way, even if happens to
work.