Auto-Disconnect mapped drives from Windows Explorer?

S

Sergej Balon

Sometimes I connect/map another folder on a computer of our the network with a new drive letter
(e.g. T:\) inside my Windows Explorer. This works fine as long as the other computer is connected
to the network. Then situations occur when this other computer (say a laptop) is removed from network.
However the remote directory is still mapped inside my WinExplorer. This causes very long
search times when I open a dialog file search window. E.g when I open "Save as..." in MS Word
Windows collects first all possible drives in order to list it in the file selection dialog.
Because the drive which refers to the remote (meanwhile plugged out) laptop directory
is not existing any longer it tries to connect again.
This results in a waiting time for approx 10 seconds. This is annoying.

Ok. I could manually disconnect the remote directory.
But I would appreciate if I could have a service in background which checks all remote mappings
every lets say 30 seconds. When it is not available any longer an auto-disconnect should take place.

Is there such a tool or option?

Sergej

B

Bob I

You could write a bat file that checks for the existance of a file on
the "mapped drive" and if the mapped drive goes away delete the mapping,
then run the bat file from task manager.

Ask a Question