Audio sounds compressed

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date
G

When Importing an avi file and saving the saved file as WMM file the audio lasts some fraction of the video and sounds compressed. Any clues?

PJ: Thanks for the awesome piece of work!

I'll contribute my 2 cents to the (as yet unsolved) WMM audio compression problem.

My computers:

Problem Computer: Dell 300m laptop with Windows XP, MM2 (had same problem with WMM1).

Other Computer that does not exhibit problem: Inspiron 8000, Windows XP over ME (Oooh so nice), WMM2

Differences in Audio Codecs

My Problem Computer has the same kind, order, and settings for Audio Codecs as the example in "http://www.eicsoftware.com/pictures/PapaJohn/Website-MM2/MM2-Issues-Audio.html"

The one that works has 2 additional Audio Codecs and the order of two of the codecs common to both is reversed:

Spiro Lab
Indeo
Fraunhofer
Lernout and Hauspie
Voxware Compression Toolkit
MSPCM

OBTW, since one of my Dell computers worked and the other did not, and they both had XP and WMM2, I called Dell support and spent about 3 hours on the phone with various folks. I had to do a restore afterwards to fix the damage to various drivers and WMM2, which would not work at all. They had me attempt to remove and re-install WMM2 (could not figure out how) and remove and reinstall a sound driver (SigmTel C-Major Audio Driver).

Thank God for Restore.

And Thanks PapaJohn for bringing all this knowledge together.

Tom

I forgot to mention that I downloaded and tried MainConcept's MPEG encoder. I used the main window that pops up when the encoder is launched. I tried to play the resultant clip (AVI to MPEG1) but there was no sound at all. Maybe I didn't understand the suggestion to install it in the post, I thought the encoder would go live in my audio or video codecs spaces somewhere and transparently allow WMM2 to work, but that was not the case.

My camera does not have a selectable sound bitrate, as far as I can tell (Canon S230), so that rules out that option.

I have the same problem with my dell laptop if you have
solved it please let me know. Thanks Mark
-----Original Message-----
When Importing an avi file and saving the saved file as
WMM file the audio lasts some fraction of the video and
sounds compressed. Any clues?

I reconfigured the working computer's audio codecs so that they exactly matched the malfunctioning computer's audio codec configuration: Swapped the order on two, and disabled two that the malfunctioning computer didn't have: No Joy. Either my audio codecs are hosed up, or audio codecs are not the problem

I also tried to upgrade my audio drivers per the dell download site, any the system hangs partway through the install and I have to do a restore to fix everything

Hope this helps

t

Back