Aspects

  • Start date Start date

Andrew Ochsner

Wanted to get thoughts around supporting Aspects and
Aspect Oriented programming in C#...

Is it being considered (presumably through attributes)
and is there a timeline for it?

Thanks
Andy O

Hi Andrew,
IFAIK, aspects are supported by .NET in general. I don't think c# will
provide more support than that.
Take a look at:
ContextBoundObject class and IMessageSink interface.
As well as:
IContextAttribute, IContextProperty, IContributeServerContextSink,
IContributeObjectSink, IContributeEnvoySink and
IContributeClientContextSink.

Using the latter interfaces along with custom attributes you can inject
message sinks and realize your call's aspects.

Unfortunately for the latter interfaces MSDN says just:
"This member supports the .NET Framework infrastructure and is not intended
to be used directly from your code."

So you have to look at other sources for info and examples.
The only book I've read that covers this topic is Don Box' book "Essential
..NET vol. 1".

Hopefully the others on the group can suggest other good books covering
that.

HTH
B\rgds
100

Thanks
Yes, I've looked at ContextBoundObjects and an article on MSDN (for those
interested,
http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/02/03/AOP/default.aspx). It seems
a bit heavy-handed and not very integrated into the CLR. Was just curious
on if future releases might consider using AOP a bit more, and if not, why
not? Know there's been lots of discussions about the value of it (or
dangers I suppose) and I'm not an expert when it comes to AOP so I wasn't
sure if there are sound reasons not to include tighter integration.

Thanks again
Andy O

Andrew,
Thank you for the link. I haven't found it. I'll read it. Anyway, read in
the book I told you. I think there is better explanation with simple
examples.
B\rgds
100

Hi Andrew,

There is some talk in the link below, and one section of it talks about the
plans for things like aspect oriented programming and related techniques.
http://blogs.gotdotnet.com/jasonz/commentview.aspx/efae2b1f-61af-4c66-8dbe-d
c6b86c20645

You can some information about the future of Microsoft developer tools at:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/productinfo/roadmap.aspx

And now, the C# Version 2.0 Language Specification is available, you can
get it from:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vcsharp/

Hope this helps,

Best regards,
Jeffrey Tan
Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "Andrew Ochsner" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Aspects
| Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 15:22:14 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp
|
| Thanks
| Yes, I've looked at ContextBoundObjects and an article on MSDN (for those
| interested,
| http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/02/03/AOP/default.aspx). It
seems
| a bit heavy-handed and not very integrated into the CLR. Was just curious
| on if future releases might consider using AOP a bit more, and if not, why
| not? Know there's been lots of discussions about the value of it (or
| dangers I suppose) and I'm not an expert when it comes to AOP so I wasn't
| sure if there are sound reasons not to include tighter integration.
|
| Thanks again
| Andy O
|

| | > Hi Andrew,
| > IFAIK, aspects are supported by .NET in general. I don't think c# will
| > provide more support than that.
| > Take a look at:
| > ContextBoundObject class and IMessageSink interface.
| > As well as:
| > IContextAttribute, IContextProperty, IContributeServerContextSink,
| > IContributeObjectSink, IContributeEnvoySink and
| > IContributeClientContextSink.
| >
| > Using the latter interfaces along with custom attributes you can inject
| > message sinks and realize your call's aspects.
| >
| > Unfortunately for the latter interfaces MSDN says just:
| > "This member supports the .NET Framework infrastructure and is not
| intended
| > to be used directly from your code."
| >
| > So you have to look at other sources for info and examples.
| > The only book I've read that covers this topic is Don Box' book
| "Essential
| > .NET vol. 1".
| >
| > Hopefully the others on the group can suggest other good books covering
| > that.
| >
| > HTH
| > B\rgds
| > 100

| > > Aspect Oriented programming in C#...
| > >
| > > Is it being considered (presumably through attributes)
| > > and is there a timeline for it?
| > >
| > > Thanks
| > > Andy O

Jeffrey:

Thanks! The first link to the Panel discussion was actually exactly what I
was looking for. I was at the PDC but was unable to attend that panel (was
at another) and was curious if it ever came up. Thanks!

Andy O

"Jeffrey Tan[MSFT]" said:
> [...]

| > IContributeClientContextSink.
| >
| > Using the latter interfaces along with custom attributes you can inject
| > message sinks and realize your call's aspects.
| >
| > Unfortunately for the latter interfaces MSDN says just:
| > "This member supports the .NET Framework infrastructure and is not
| intended
| > to be used directly from your code."
| >
| > So you have to look at other sources for info and examples.
| > The only book I've read that covers this topic is Don Box' book
| "Essential
| > .NET vol. 1".
| >
| > Hopefully the others on the group can suggest other good books covering
| > that.
| >
| > HTH
| > B\rgds
| > 100

| > > Aspect Oriented programming in C#...
| > >
| > > Is it being considered (presumably through attributes)

Hi Andrew,

I am glad it makes sense to you.
If you still have any question, please feel to tell me.

Best regards,
Jeffrey Tan
Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "Andrew Ochsner" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Re: Aspects
| Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 08:52:02 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp
|
| Jeffrey:
|
| Thanks! The first link to the Panel discussion was actually exactly what
| was looking for. I was at the PDC but was unable to attend that panel
(was
| at another) and was curious if it ever came up. Thanks!
|
| Andy O
|

| > Hi Andrew,
| >
| > There is some talk in the link below, and one section of it talks about
| the
| > plans for things like aspect oriented programming and related
techniques.

http://blogs.gotdotnet.com/jasonz/commentview.aspx/efae2b1f-61af-4c66-8dbe-d
| > c6b86c20645
| >
| > You can some information about the future of Microsoft developer tools
at:
| > http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/productinfo/roadmap.aspx
| >
| > And now, the C# Version 2.0 Language Specification is available, you can
| > get it from:
| > http://msdn.microsoft.com/vcsharp/
| >
| > Hope this helps,
| >
| > Best regards,
| > Jeffrey Tan
| > Microsoft Online Partner Support
| > This posting is provided "as is" with no warranties and confers no
rights.

| > --------------------
| > | From: "Andrew Ochsner" <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: Re: Aspects
| > | Date: Mon, 3 Nov 2003 15:22:14 -0700
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.languages.csharp
| > |
| > | Thanks
| > | Yes, I've looked at ContextBoundObjects and an article on MSDN (for
| those
| > | interested,
| > | http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/issues/02/03/AOP/default.aspx). It
| > seems
| > | a bit heavy-handed and not very integrated into the CLR. Was just
| curious
| > | on if future releases might consider using AOP a bit more, and if not,
| why
| > | not? Know there's been lots of discussions about the value of it (or
| > | dangers I suppose) and I'm not an expert when it comes to AOP so I
| wasn't
| > | sure if there are sound reasons not to include tighter integration.
| > |
| > | Thanks again
| > | Andy O
| > |