AppDomain.ExecuteAssembly: want notification when executing assembly starts

• Thread starter Thread starter Gregg Walker
  • Start date Start date
G

Gregg Walker

Hi all,

Does anyone know howto receive a notification (event) when the assembly loaded by AppDomain.ExecuteAssembly loads the startup method
and begins executing it?

I want to give the user a visual (hour glass, etc.) that an application is being loaded while AppDomain.ExecuteAssembly is loading
assemblies. Once it begins executing the loaded assembly I want to make the visual go away. I'm using no touch deployment of
windows forms apps that are hosted on a Win2003 Server. I have a shell launcher app that calls ExecuteAssembly on the exe assembly
at the specified URL.

I tried using AppDomain.AssemblyLoad event but it fires every time each referenced assembly in the exe is loaded and I have no way
of knowing when the assembly actually begins executing.

As it stands now every time the launcher shell is started I get an AppStarting cursor until it is running (usually only takes a
second or less) but the cursor disappears from there on until the windows form app is actually up and running. This may take much
longer than a second or two because of network delays and assembly sizes. End result is the user thinks that nothing is happening
and tries to start the launcher shell again.

Thanks for any help.

Sincerely,
Gregg Walker

I was wondering why I'm not receiving responses from MS since I've been an MSDN Universal Subscriber for quite a while. I've made
quite a few postings on developer newsgroups that have gone unanswered.

MSDN quote:
Unlimited free support? Yes! Available now to MSDN subscribers, MSDN managed newsgroups! In over 200 developer newsgroups, Microsoft
will assure that you receive a response to your posts within 72 hours! To use this free service now, go to MSDN managed newsgroups.

I did a little more checking and found that I need to create an alias for you guys to recognize. Makes sense. Anyway that's done
now so I would appreciate a prompt response.

Much thanks,
Gregg Walker

Back