All my folders are Read-only!

Peter Chatterton

All of my folders show Read-only in the Property->General check box.

If I clear this, a dialog (Applying Attributes) shows all the sub-folders
being cleared, but when i reopen it, it's back to Read-only again!

I have a peer-to-peer wireless network with a Linksys router.
Both PCs (under XP SP2 or its tablet equiv.) behave the same way.

Hope you can help,
Peter

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

Peter Chatterton said:
All of my folders show Read-only in the Property->General check box.

If I clear this, a dialog (Applying Attributes) shows all the
sub-folders being cleared, but when i reopen it, it's back to
Read-only again!
I have a peer-to-peer wireless network with a Linksys router.
Both PCs (under XP SP2 or its tablet equiv.) behave the same way.

Hope you can help,
Peter

This is not usually a problem (and won't cause issues with access or
networking). Are you actually *having* a problem or are you just curious?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326549

Peter Chatterton

It's definitely a problem as I have an application that can't
update a file across the network (Access Denied).

Thanks for the link, that should solve the problem.

Peter

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

Peter Chatterton said:
It's definitely a problem as I have an application that can't
update a file across the network (Access Denied).

Hmmm. Well, I doubt it's for this reason.....it's more likely an NTFS or
share permissions issue, or network config problem, or firewall.
Thanks for the link, that should solve the problem.

Hope you get it resolved...post back!
Peter

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
This is not usually a problem (and won't cause issues with access or
networking). Are you actually *having* a problem or are you just
curious? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326549

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

Peter Chatterton said:
You got it!

I had to enable my application to work across the network.

Thanks,
Peter

No prob. So it wasn't the read-only thing, then, correct?
"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
Peter Chatterton said:
It's definitely a problem as I have an application that can't
update a file across the network (Access Denied).

Hmmm. Well, I doubt it's for this reason.....it's more likely an
NTFS or share permissions issue, or network config problem, or
firewall.
Thanks for the link, that should solve the problem.

Hope you get it resolved...post back!
Peter

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
message All of my folders show Read-only in the Property->General check
box. If I clear this, a dialog (Applying Attributes) shows all the
sub-folders being cleared, but when i reopen it, it's back to
Read-only again!
I have a peer-to-peer wireless network with a Linksys router.
Both PCs (under XP SP2 or its tablet equiv.) behave the same way.

Hope you can help,
Peter

This is not usually a problem (and won't cause issues with access
or networking). Are you actually *having* a problem or are you just
curious? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326549

HEMI-Powered

Peter Chatterton added these comments in the current discussion
du jour ...
It's definitely a problem as I have an application that can't
update a file across the network (Access Denied).

Could you provide more details, please? I, too, have a simple 2-
PC MS network and have copied both files and entire folder
contents across the network without an "access denied" error even
when the target folder already exists. I do, of course, get a
warning that it already exists and do I want to overwrite it.
Thanks for the link, that should solve the problem.

Peter

"Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]"
This is not usually a problem (and won't cause issues with
access or networking). Are you actually *having* a problem or
are you just curious?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326549

Peter Chatterton

I didn't have any problem with normal copying in windows,
or even modifying files with Notepad, but
if I tried modifying a file via an unsanctioned appl
it gave the Access Denied.

I just had to tell windows to allow various appl's
to work on its files. Unfortunately I can't figure out
how I did this! I thought it was thru the Properties
of C:\->Sharing, but I can't find it. It involved Browsing
for the appl over the network within a pop-up dialog.

Peter

--
HP, aka Jerry

"Surely you jest - and don't call me Shirley!" - from the movie
"Airplane!"

Lanwench [MVP - Exchange]

Peter Chatterton said:
I did it thru Windows Firewall->Exceptions->Add Program

Peter

Right. I'd suggested the firewall might be an issue in my other
reply....that's always the first thing to check. :)

HEMI-Powered said:
[...]

Peter Chatterton

I probably assumed you meant to turn off the FW before setting
anything up -- something I've always had a bit of a problem with
since the FW is configured to work across the network.

Peter